Originality in the Stands

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by SpeedyOne, Jul 14, 2005.

1. SpeedyOne

SpeedyOne New Member

Jul 12, 2005
    Something that's always kind of bothered me during MLS games (and extends into USMNT games as well) is the lack of inventiveness in the stands. The English leagues always have singing and chanting fans, the Argentina and Brasil leagues are filled with noise and chants, the Italians have their Oles. MLS games always seem so bland in comparison. Shouting "you suck" every time the opposing keeper kicks it away is so bland. REV- O - LUTION chants are, well, let's call them uninspired.

I propose we find a song to co-opt as our own, like Liverpool's You'll Never Walk Alone (not that one in particular, just an example). Maybe even Midnight Riders could get together and have a contest to see who comes up with a good chant or song. In any case, some passion needs to be added to the crowd, most Revs games are simply too quiet for too long. When you can clearly hear what Taylor Twellman just yelled back to Joey Franchino, maybe it's time to make some noise.

2. Ultra Peanut

Ultra Peanut New Member

Jun 3, 2004
    Achewood
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    gonna drive past the stop n' shop with the radio on

A. It's "You'll Never Walk Alone" the 'pool fans sing.

B. We have one for the Revs, or at least, some of us are working to get it this way. A couple times a game, you'll hear a chant that goes "dum de dum de dum dummy dum day, oooh, New England." That's the chorus to "New England" by Jonathan Richman, a fine song extolling the praises of our region. Full lyrics here.

3. Calexico77

Calexico77 Member

Sep 19, 2003
    Mid-City LA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh, Lord.

You need to change your "Favorite Teams" entry before too many others see this.

4. SpeedyOne

SpeedyOne New Member

Jul 12, 2005
    I, uh, don't know what you're talking about. Mod please close this thread?

5. Ultra Peanut

Ultra Peanut New Member

Jun 3, 2004
    Achewood
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One other thing:

...but can be learned in all of one second, by everyone in the stands, not just the Fort crew. There's a reason "(team/player name)(clap 5x)" is popular worldwide--it's about the easiest thing to do to get everyone making noise. Longer songs are great and all, but it takes a bit of practice to get the hang of anything that's more than about two or three lines, even if you are with the singing section. Sometimes ease of use has to trump creativity.

6. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Another issue that seems to keep coming up.

Anyway, the Revolution chant my be 'uninspired,' but it is our team! You're singing for your team.

And then I'll say the same thing that I say when this thread pops up once a year ... if you don't like the songs, come into the Fort and start something new. It's that simple.

7. SpeedyOne

SpeedyOne New Member

Jul 12, 2005
    Of course a great deal of it has to do with tradition as well. There is little tradition of singing etc. at American sports games. The MLS has only been around for 10 years so getting people into it is a little difficult. Still the sooner the better, traditions have to start somewhere right?

8. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When I went to Italy this spring, people who were hanging out near the Vatican were doing this very chant to the new Pope. If it's good enough for him, then it ought to be good enough for us....

9. SpeedyOne

SpeedyOne New Member

Jul 12, 2005
    Who cares about the Pope, the Revs are much more important. Besides I don't think we should settle for that little do you?

10. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK, champ, whatever you say. I hear Andrew Lloyd Weber is writing a score for us to sing in the Fort for Saturday.

The point is that if you want something to catch on with large numbers of people, it has to be fairly simple. Some chants/songs are universal enough to cross cultures and even into non-sports areas as a way to honor/cheer for someone (Pope). I've sen the "There's only ONE [name]" song is used in lots of non-sports situations as well.

Why do you think Americans often chant nothing more complicated than "Yew-Ess-Ay! Yew-Ess-Ay!" at the Olympics and other non-soccer international sporting events? Not all that imaginitive, but it gets the crowd into it.

If you are really interested in being constructive you can take a relatively well-known song and re-work some of the lyrics. One that has been going strong since day one is "Suuuuuper Revs" which is to the tune of "Skip to the lou." It's simple, clean and easy enough that youg kids can pick it up.

What it comes down to is this: If you aren't part of the solution, you are part of the problem

11. Medeiros

Medeiros Member

Apr 23, 2005
    Pawtucket, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    just an idea...Ive been in Brazil for the past month and caught some Bahia games (a D2 team) and the atmosphere was amazing with flares and all. Some flags waving could definetely help but thanks to stadium rules I dont beleive thats allowed. Anyways one thing I thought could help is some more fast beat drumming and chants..I dont really have any solutions but a faster beat is more fun to dance and chant along too. the "we love new england" chant is decent and thats a good example of a good song to dance/ bounce in unison too

12. bonuela

bonuela New Member

Jul 12, 2002
    quincy ma
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    I do have to agree about the "you suck". I'm sorry. Sometimes it doesn't even apply. Telling a goalie who has made a bunch saves and kept our team from scoring doesn't really suck. The opposite in fact.

As far as chants. They do have to be simple. Revo-lu-tion works just fine and sounds great!

13. Aquarius21

Aquarius21 New Member

Aug 15, 2004
    Plano, TX
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Another thing about simplicity: not only can a huge number of people execute it, but it can be heard through the stands. If something is complicated, it's not like a lot of people are going to pay attention. even if the chants are "uninspired" I can still hear them all loud and clear where I sit for Revs games.

14. edlova

edlova Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Somerville, MA
    you suck to the opposing goalie always applies

we also have our "from the halls of foxboro stadium" song which is awesome

15. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA
    Speedy,

Come to Gillette Stadium and take in a match from The Fort: I think you'll find that there's plenty of chants, plenty of originality, and much more variety than just "Re-vo-lu-tion."

Been this way for a number of years now.

Cheers,

The Magpie

16. MouseyTongue

MouseyTongue New Member

Feb 16, 2001
    a box in the Chairma
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    oogie, oogie, oogie

17. Weber King

Weber King Member

Sep 28, 2001
    North Andover, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Brookline Response:

Oy. Oy. Oy.

You call this a chant? :D

18. Jabinho

Jabinho New Member

May 29, 2004
    I always thought that attractive nude dancing girls in the stands would be nice and very original.. :)

19. thigpig

thigpig New Member

Apr 24, 2005
    upstate NY
    AMERCIA FVCK YEAH!

is that song an option this time around?

20. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA
    <sniff></sniff>

Wither the dancing Brazilian women from a few years ago?

:(

The Magpie

21. Fiero20

Fiero20 Member

Aug 3, 2002
    Gillette Stadium
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

i kidnapped them ;)

22. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    It's juvenile. And nerdy.

23. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And that's why it fits. :p

24. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have to say, this whole issue is just a repetitive joke.

There are people that sit on the side and hate the fact that Fort members denigrate them by calling that part of the stadium the Morgue. They want to be left alone to watch the game in their style.

But then they have no problem telling people in the Fort what is right and what isn't. If you don't like the "Stand Up" chant ... then don't stand up. Ignore us. That's fine, that's your choice. All we are trying (as Magpie stated) is to get the last two minutes of the game to be something where the players look up or hear an entire stadium thanking them for their efforts, and it doesn't just start after the whistle.

In regards to the You Suck chant ... if someone doesn't like it, come up with something of your own, and start it.

99% of our chants don't include swears, we keep things clean, and we have fun. So what's your problem with that? Would "You Suck A-hole" be better, which I believe most of the other supporter's groups do (DC, Fire, Mutts off the top of my head, since I've seen them this year)?

25. bostonbully

bostonbully New Member

Aug 21, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Not in section 111, row 10. Those people LOVE you guys, especially when they can hear you loud and clear so that they can use it as a cue to sing along.

Keep up the great work!