Gathering versus Burnt Texans will be telling

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by BigFrank, Jul 11, 2005.

1. BigFrank

BigFrank New Member

Apr 3, 1999
    Dublin, Ireland
    Not so telling on the field, but a bit more off of the field.

The last home match drew 17,000 plus, with the team riding the crest of good play and positive publicity.

So can they build upon that size of a crowd?
    Can they hold on to that many people?

The team is coming off two mediocre matches and a loss.
    They are playing shorthanded.
    The euphoria of the great start has been dampened a bit and the positive publicity has dried up somewhat.
    Dallas is a good opponent, but not a drawing opponent.
    The Tarnish Cup is a distraction that could divert some attention away from the Revos.

So what will it be?
    Another healthy crowd to hold and build upon?
    Or a struggle to get 10,000?

Even with the team's great start, they are going to be nowhere close to the GM's predicted gates for the season.
    But can they at least hold on to the positive momentum?

We will have to wait and see.

2. Revs007

Revs007 Member

Nov 11, 2000
    Boston
    I don't think so. I think with all these soccer events happening at Foxboro thinning out the fanbase. The chances for a good crowd for Revs and Dallas without it's top stars mind you is slim.

Which is a shame because of all the games in Foxboro this week and next, this surely is the one I've been anticipating.

I blame MLS/SUM, Concacaf and Revs Management for the low turnout on Saturday.

3. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA
    Good play, positive publicity... and Carribean night helped. So, assuming that the Cape Verdians, Trinidadians, Dominicans, etc. don't come back next Saturday, I'd suspect we might get around 13,000 to actually stick around for the Revs match, but the reported attendance of the day could very well be impacted by who the U.S. plays in the Gold Cup quarterfinal.

It would be very, very interesting if the U.S. beat the Ticos and Mexico lost to Jamaica.

The Magpie... who's thanking God the Sox vs. Yankees game is an afternoon match-up.

4. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    This won't be an opportunity to take measure of where the Revs drawing ability is at. The gate will almost entirely be determined by the teams in the Gold Cup quarters.

For one, if someone wanted to see the Revs, this ticket is a lot more expensive than a regular game, so unless they are interested in the GC (or a specific team in the GC), or were a real soccer junkie, they would skip this one.

This game will draw the die-hards, including CC members, and lots of ethnic fans, again, dependingn on the teams involved.

CR will surely be one team, but the population of CR, both here and in CR, is small. If Honduras or Guatemala come, the crowd could be enormous. If Mexico comes, even bigger. If we get South Africa, not so many. Jamaica could be a pretty big draw. Panama, mezzo-mezzo. Colombia would be good, but they're looking pretty unlikely to even grab one of the better 3rd place spots at this point!

If you could break it down into distinct groups, I'd guess something like this:

Revs: 6000
    US (not including above): +6000
    Burn: +2
    CR: +4000

other potentials:

Honduras: +12000
    Panama: +3000
    T&T: +4000
    Colombia: +10000
    Canada: +2000
    Cuba: +5000
    South Africa: +4000
    Guatemala: +15000
    Mexico: +15000
    Jamaica: +6000

So, I'd guess with something like US, CR, Honduras and T&T we'd draw about 30K.

There could be multiplier effects is we get the Caribbean package (35K?): US, CR, T&T and Jamaica or the Central American package (40K?): US, CR, Honduras and Guatemala or even, but probably not possible, the North American package: US, Canada, Mexico and CR.

Any good drawing set of teams will once again destroy the theory that the stadium has no atmosphere and can't hold sound.

5. johnh00

johnh00 Member

Apr 25, 2001
    CT, USA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tell me about it... It could have been friends and family, otherwise. :p

6. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wouldn't quite go that far. I fall into neither category, and I would have been at this match anyway.

7. brianzappa

brianzappa Member

Oct 21, 2003
    In a big country
    i'm sure there are others like me who didn't even know the sox were playing the yankees this weekend. I wouldn't have known if someone didn't post it here.

8. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I knew ... and just didn't care. :D

9. brianzappa

brianzappa Member

Oct 21, 2003
    In a big country
    I know now and I still don't. :cool:

10. brandnew_de

brandnew_de Member

Jun 18, 2005
    CT
    Who? Are those those stick people? You know, with the big clubs or something?

11. brianzappa

brianzappa Member

Oct 21, 2003
    In a big country
    Kind of like Captain Caveman, but without the birds coming out of the club?

12. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This one?
    [​IMG]

13. SirFozzie

SirFozzie Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 17, 2001
    Franklin, MA
    Just talked to the good Captain.. he had this to say.

"Unga Bunga.... Use club on Texas Steers! Go Revs!"

14. mosler

mosler Member

Jan 2, 2003
    Mashpee, MA
    Somewhere along the way I seem to have forgotten that the old cap'n looks quite a bit like a testicle.

15. SirFozzie

SirFozzie Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 17, 2001
    Franklin, MA
    You're Nuts.

Or is that..

Your Nuts?

(Ok.. I run away now)

16. thigpig

thigpig New Member

Apr 24, 2005
    upstate NY
    I think there will be around 30k regardless who plays. I don't see why there wouldn't be. In September when we played El Salvador there was 25k and that was only a doubleheader.

17. goussoccer

goussoccer Member+

May 23, 2001
    Avon, CT
    For people attending the Revs game, I think it will be more important as to whether the US finishes first or second in the group. If they finish second, I doubt many people who will come to that game will wait around for the 7pm game. If they finish first then hanging around after the 4pm game to catch at least the first half of the Revs is LOT more likely.

Note, 'reported attendance' of course will not depend on when the US plays. There might be a little bump if it is closer but not much.

I would agree that the 'reported attendancewill have a big bump depending on which teams play. With one of Jamaica or Mexico probably coming here we should get a VERY big 'reported attendance' bump! I think 30K is pretty likely. I am hoping that we get the following matchups:

Game 1: Trinidad vs. Costa Rica (Trinidad wins by 2 and Honduras and Panama tie)

Game 2: US vs. Mexico !! (We win and Mexico ties Jamaica and South Africa beats Guatemala, though I am not sure how they determine whether A3 or C3 plays in this game.).

Then we could be talking even more than 30K.....

18. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well now we know that the US is playing at 4 (found out last night that was going to happen no matter what).

The A3 or C3 will be decided based on the fact that the group C winner is scheduled to play the third place team in either Group A or B. Since B (our group) will not have a third place team, the C winner will be playing the third place team in Group A ... Colombia.

So we will be playing the third place team in Group C ... c'mon Jamaica.

19. Kevin Lindstrom

Oct 28, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We sure wouldn't mind if y'all spread around the USMNT games a bit. And I think we've shown we can handle ourselves rather well, too.

20. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well US/Jamaica it is!

Now sing with me people ... "They've got the biggest doobies in the land ..."

:D

Schedule for Saturday.

Tailgate at 11am. First beer at 11:00:01 am.
    Honduras vs. Costa Rica, 1pm
    Red, White & Blue 1 vs. Jamaica, 4pm
    Red, White & Blue 2 vs. F*C* Dallas, 7pm (or 7:30?).

21. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You can also seranade them with this variation of a Bob Marley classic:

No World Cup, no cry,
    No World Cup, no cry

22. SirFozzie