The official Telefutura thread (Gold Cup)

Discussion in 'TV, Satellite & Radio' started by geordienation, Jul 5, 2005.

1. geordienation

geordienation Moderator

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    A lot of people have questions about where they can find Telefutura and what it is. Hope this helps.

Telefutura is an offshoot of Univision, which is consistently the dominant spanish-language television network in the US. The best way to think of it is if you had something like CBS and they started a second over-the-air network. (There are a limited number of games on Galavision, though none that involve the U.S.)

Telefutura/Univision/Galavision owns the rights to all Gold Cup games. FSC and ESPN have nothing of the sort. If you want to watch in English, send your hate mail to Jack Warner at the Concacaf office. They sold the rights to Univision years ago. There was a piece in the spanish press a few years ago about Anschutz/SUM looking at buying the rights from them, but I don't know what ever became of that. (My guess is that, considering the ratings, it just wasn't worth it).

Telefutura owns 18 full-power stations and 15 low-power stations in the following markets:

Los Angeles
    New York
    Miami-Ft. Lauderdale
    Houston
    Chicago
    Dallas-Ft. Worth
    San Antonio
    San Francisco-Oakland-San Jose
    Phoenix-Flagstaff
    Fresno
    Albuquerque
    Sacramento-Stockton-Modesto
    Denver, Philadelphia
    Washington D.C.
    Raleigh
    Orlando-Daytona Beach-Melbourne
    Tampa-St. Petersburg
    Boston
    Tucson-Douglas
    Bakersfield

They are carried by 126 different cable outlets, so if you live in one of these areas, you can probably find the games.

For example, in Chicago they are WXFT-TV, Channel 60 (with a transmitter in Aurora), but they are also carried on Comcast (on Ch. 22 in most configurations).

IF YOU'RE LOOKING FOR THE GAMES:

CABLE
    Check your cable operator to see if you have the channel. If you live in one of the above markets, your odds are good.

SATELLITE

I believe that you can get it on DirecTv only as part of the Para Todos package.

Dish Network offers Telefutura as a part of it's Latino Basic package.

OVER THE AIR
    Check your local listings in the markets above.

2. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    Re: The official Telefutura thread

I have DirecTV with a local package (Sacramento-Stockton-Modesto), and Telefutura is actually included as part of that package. That may not be the case for everyone with DirecTV in a market with a Telefutura station, but it's worth double checking before you assume you don't get the match.

3. geordienation

geordienation Moderator

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC

I knew they had the internets in Truckee, but they've got TV now, too? :D

4. anderson

anderson Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Daily TeleFutura schedule

If you want to see their schedules, you can click here.

The page is in Spanish, but it's easy enough to read the schedule for "Copa Oro 2005".

Times are Eastern, unless otherwise indicated, and it apparently sometimes is indicated otherwise for the Pacific time zone.

"Miercoles" is Wednesday, and you can go from there.

You can also click from that page to the schedule for Galavision ("Horarios de Galavision" right at the top of the schedule), which will carry some of the games.

5. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT

Telefutura is not JUST available in Dish's Latino package but is also included in its regular programming packages (AT120 and AT180). Univision and Galavision are also in these packages.

6. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999

It's a whole new world since we got electricity. Still waiting for indoor plumbing though ... :(

7. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City

TeleFutura is not available under any of DirecTV's national packages. You can only get it on DirecTV if it is a local station that is part of the local programming package. LP (Low Power) and CA (Class A) stations, like TV-26 in Raleigh, are not required to be picked up, and DirecTV does not pick it up as part of the Raleigh-Durham local stations.

8. TOTC

TOTC Member

Feb 20, 2001
    Laurel, MD, USA

Yeah, which sucks for people in DC who want Telemundo on their DirecTV.

9. gazza

gazza Member

Dec 15, 2004
    Looks like it's on 2 channels on Directv (at least for me). Channel 404 is Galavision. T&T v. Honduras at 6 pacific and ch 930 (local package) has Columbia v Panama right now. Estados Unidos es manana. :)

10. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just a heads up for Phoenix/Arizona residents, the cable guide lists the game at 8:30 PDT/MST. In the past the cable guide has been off an hour. No idea if this is the case here, but you might want to set any recordings to start an hour earlier, when the game actually kicks off. Sometimes they air the games live, and sometimes they delay them an hour to match the schedule on the cable guide.

I think a "national rep" submits the schedules for the cable guide, and doesn't remember that Arizona does not do Daylight Savings Time, so we see the MDT schedule, even though we're still on MST. Then it's up to the local affiliate to adjust the showtimes as they see fit, either go with the live broadcast or delay it to match the schedule. That's all conjecture on my part though.

11. Smurfquake

Smurfquake Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2000
    San Carlos, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's a list of all of the stations which carry TeleFutura here. A lot of these are low-power or repeaters though.

12. TheKing G

TheKing G New Member

Aug 19, 2004
    california
    On that list it says telefutura is in my area, Monterey-Salinas, but I have never seen that channel. I sont see it on any tv menus , could anyone help?

13. capitalist

capitalist New Member

Nov 13, 2004
    TeleF is not on my DirecTV lineup :mad:

[​IMG]

14. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    It's probably a low power (LP - Low Power, or CA - Class A) station. Cable and Sattelite providers aren't required to carry low power "community" stations.

15. aleaguer

aleaguer Member

Feb 17, 2000
    Wichita, KS USA
    SUM hates soccer.

16. TheKing G

TheKing G New Member

Aug 19, 2004
    california
    Does that mean this is a channel you have to use a atenna to get?

17. DAGSports

DAGSports New Member

Sep 19, 2003
    Heads up. According to www.ussoccer.com, the US game against Costa Rica, and I think all remaining USA games in the 2005 Gold Cup, will have closed-captioning in English by utilizing CC1 on the remote control. Which means slightly behind play, but at least that probably comes off better than somebody trying to speak over the original Spanish-language.

Match-tracker is available as always.

18. 1. Does anyone know how to work English CC on DirecTV, or whether it is possible?

2. Sorry to be late with this "news," as I was on vaca last week, but every single GC match has been shown on various Spanish-language stations on DTV in the LA area (I missed the hurricane-delayed matches but that was my bad). I never know which channel which game will be on, but with TiVo, I just search for all "soccer" shows, then scroll through the "Futbol" listings, then click on all entitled "Copa Oro"

3. My initial rage and frustration at the lack of English-language coverage is tempered by the apparent lack of ratings it would have drawn. I would have thought 75,000 in LA would come to watch Mexico's team play ping-pong, but they seem to have failed to come anywhere near filling HDC or the Coliseum. Nor did the US sell many seats in Seattle.