Cancela interest from Rapids

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by rhiggz, Jun 26, 2005.

1. rhiggz

rhiggz Member

Oct 6, 2004
    Oregon
    I saw in Soccer America, I think that's where I saw it, that Clavijo is interested in bring in more technical players, with Cancela being specifically mentioned. Do any of you know if this is just a rumor or if there's more to it? I don't want to see him go after that goal last night, WOW. It sounded like there was little to it, but by how little he plays, it wouldn't surprise me a whole lot, but I'm guessing he'll stay. We can't lose any people with all the GC callups. Personally, I hope he stays.

[As a side note, last night was the first game of the year for me (away at school) and it was the best I've been to. Sadly, the first win I've witnessed in 7 or 8 games. It felt good to see them win like that. It reminded me a little of the DC game at home 2 years ago, which I was at, a lot better having it go this way.]

2. IRguy

IRguy Member

Sep 28, 2004
    Vermont
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've been waiting for this type of talk to start. I see this move coming at some point this season. I hope it does not happen, but i've had a feeling it will. Rapids have an SI spot and really need the help at the midfield and we could really use dept at forward or the backline Rapids have both. I think Cancela is our most skillful player so I hope it does not happen but if it does I hope we get good value for him and he has the best of luck.

3. eric_appleby

eric_appleby Member+

Jun 11, 1999
    Down East
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bad idea.
    Cut one of the other SI's and bring someone in from outside the league.

I remember we shitcanned Oscar Pareja, and he's been a good player for Dallas for years.

4. Brian De Sousa

Brian De Sousa Red Card

Aug 10, 2004
    New Bedford, MA
    What does Clavijo need with Cancela? Does he want to use up a technically skilled player to bunker up in the midfield and play a 10 man defense?

Cancela should stay with a winner.

5. Tony Biscaia

Tony Biscaia Member

Feb 17, 1999
    Any player would rather play for a coach that appreciates and encourages him to use his skills. Or, would just rather play, period.

6. Mike Toole

Mike Toole New Member

Dec 23, 2002
    Cambridge, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree with Tony. Coach Nicol needs to get his priorities straight and give Pepe as many games as he can handle, the man is one of our biggest assets. I'm sick of him playing for 45 minutes and then getting yanked for the second half, and our entire midfield slowing down for the rest of the game.

7. JMMUSA8

JMMUSA8 New Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Webster
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If this means anything at all but I went to where the players leave after the game and Cancela never came out, and none of his family was there. So I'm guessing he left early, not sure why.

8. edlova

edlova Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Somerville, MA
    it was his birthday

9. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If AEG owned the CRapids and the Revs, maybe this would happen. But since neither team is owned by the Communistic and charitable overlord of MLS I doubt it happens. Why would Pepe leave a clear winner to go a "barely in the playoffs" team?
    Unless the CRapids unload 4 players for Cancela or give him big time $$$, he'll never leave.

10. goussoccer

goussoccer Member+

May 23, 2001
    Avon, CT
    Does Cancela really have much to say about this??? All that I know of Pepe is that he is a professional - he just plays the game, the coach makes all the decisions.

I too would hate to see Pepe go, but I guess I am surprised by the sentiment that he gets to decide whether he goes or not.

11. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, you guys are right, I don't think Jose is asked at all.
    I just don't think MLS is going to force Cancela and the Revs to do it.
    Now if AEG owned both teams, it happens in a second.

12. mrt/MLS

mrt/MLS Member

Oct 11, 2003
    CT
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    the thought of Pepe leaving depresses me.

i hope we can hang on to him for a long time.

13. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    if the deal involved Peguero, cunningham, freeman, Mastro or Borchers I would strongly consider it

14. UxSxAxfooty

UxSxAxfooty Member+

Jan 23, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Possibly Kotschau.

He hasn't been getting any playing time, for whatever reason. Not because he isn't fit; he plays in reserves matches. And certainly not because Eric Denton is the better player. Speculation is he's on the chopping block.

15. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I suggest that you all relax---esp those who get the skivies pulled up tight about the amount of playing time Pepe gets. Lets remember we have a coach who knows how to coach and not only makes tactical adjustments during games but adjusts his lineup to best deal with the tactical issues presented by the team we are about to face. Pepe is one of those assest--a valuable one-- that is better in some situation and is best replaced in others. I really doubt that SN would give him up unless he got a clear upgrade advantage from doing so. As far as MLS being in the equation---they aren't. Pepe is a Rev asset and will remain so as long as the Revs and Pepe can agree on his contract.

16. revsmaniac

revsmaniac New Member

Jul 24, 2004
    i'm lost

i saw him leaving, he was out of there quickly. didn't look too happy for it being his birthday. i said happy bday and said thanks and then walked to his car. gave me the feeling he wasn't happy.

saw taylor leaving too, he was in a very happy mood. said he is ready for a start on july 4th.

17. Riccardo55

Riccardo55 Member+

Mar 11, 2001
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So I was cruising the site to see who your back-up goalie is for Fantasy purposes when Reis get called up for USA Men's duty, and I see this rumor.......

I'd love to see Cancela in Rapids Black 'n Blue....Why? We've been lamenting the lack of a servicable #10 for years on our threads. See our tag line 'Bypassing the midfield since 1996"......The rationale must be that you guys don't want to spend an SI slot and salary on a less-than-90-minute-a-game-player. Maybe you have a discovery player lined up and although Cancela is fine, the move makes you better.

I expect you'd get Kotschau and another MLS re-run (Harris? Cullen?), or if lucky, one of our promising yound defenders.

BTW I agree with the AEG line, only having suffered with AEG for 9 years, the team is now owned by Stan Kronke (KSE) who recently bought the Nuggets and made them a real team from poo. As for AEG and the Rapids, the AEG "clout" in MLS never gave us a good deal, but pawned off lots of re-runs from other teams (Like LA and NY) in their attempt to make winning teams in those favored markets. I am not holding my breathe that MLS will ram this down your GM's throat.

See you guys 8/17/05 here in the thin air. If Cancela is a Rapids I'll buy you a beer.:D

RLH, Denver (but born in Rumford, Maine, eh-ya?)

18. JMMUSA8

JMMUSA8 New Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Webster
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorta off the threads topic but you don't need to sub Reis, he'll be playing for the Revs.

19. brianzappa

brianzappa Member

Oct 21, 2003
    In a big country
    If Pepe goes to Colorado, I'm going to need a hell of a lot more than a beer.

20. Rev79

Rev79 New Member

Aug 17, 1999
    If Wolde ended up back here, I don't know that I could keep going to Revs games. The man gave me years worth of ulcers which my body is only now forgiving me for. I could stand by this team through 9 years of almost complete ineptitude, crappy marketing, and sitting on the sunny side of the stadium for a triple header in July, but I draw the line at Wolde Harris in a Revs uniform ever again. :D

21. eric_appleby

eric_appleby Member+

Jun 11, 1999
    Down East
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've got a bad feeling it's going to be Cancela for Kotschau and Harris.

If Nicol doesn't rate Cancela, then why not try to plug two holes?
    Kotschau is a serviceable journeyman defender, and Harris has scored a number of goals in MLS, something that is not likely in Smith's future.

22. ghsdpu

ghsdpu New Member

Dec 21, 2004
    Dorchester, MA
    Why the f*** would we want Richie Kotschau? Isn't he a left back? It's not like we don't have anyone on the roster capable of playing left back.

23. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA
    This is all very funny.

24. brianzappa

brianzappa Member

Oct 21, 2003
    In a big country
    Well I'm glad you think so. :)

25. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree. Kind of reminds me of a party game---called RUMOR. You start by sitting in a circle and wispering a "RUMOR" into the ear of the person next to you and ask them to pass it on. By the time it gets around the room and back to you it's just amazing how much "texture" has been added.

Pepe ain't going anywhere