DC United in Copa Sudamericana

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Supersuperman99, Jun 23, 2005.

1. Supersuperman99

Supersuperman99 New Member

Oct 28, 2004
    Los Angeles
    DCU in Copa Sudamericana

As per Jorge Ramos on Locura por el Futbol DC United has been ask to take part in the copa and conmebol expects an answer by later this week or early next week. If DCU rejects the invite the there would be a mini central american club tournament to decide who goes to the copa sudamericana. Lets roll people.

2. GUTuna

GUTuna Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Washington, DC USA
    Re: DCU in Copa Sudamericana

When is it scheduled for? I'm always in favor of more international exposure for MLS clubs, especially ours, but the travel to South America could be BRUTAL during our season. Not that this means we shouldn't jump at the chance.

3. subbuteo

subbuteo New Member

Dec 17, 2002
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I hope it's true.

4. Bootsy Collins

Bootsy Collins Player of the Year

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I await Diceson or Lanky134 or someone else with inside connections to substantiate this . . . .

5. RedSkinheadUltra

RedSkinheadUltra New Member

Jun 2, 2005
    NE Revolution

Wow. Now that'd be something to see.

I remember when they won the Copa Interamericano in 1998.

6. Supersuperman99

Oct 28, 2004
    Los Angeles

The Sud americana is usaully played after the Libertadors. I think it stars in august and it runs I believe until december

7. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City

If this is the tournament that the CCC runner-up got an automatic invite to, then I believe it was scheduled to start in November.

8. Supersuperman99

Oct 28, 2004
    Los Angeles

Yeah Pumas is gonna go for Mex as well as CA. Saprissa was asked to go but they qualified for the World Club Chmpship. So I guess this rules them out .

9. RedSkinheadUltra

RedSkinheadUltra New Member

Jun 2, 2005
    NE Revolution
  10. bofahey

bofahey Member

Sep 1, 2001
    Washington, DC

If we're invited, I really hope that we accept this invitation.

It's a win-win in every respect. Good for our players. Good for the box office. If we have to play some reserves in MLS matches because the team is tired, that's a price I'm willing to pay.

11. Saltenya94

Saltenya94 Member

Jul 29, 2003
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    DC United

True, but Copa Sudamerican isn't "Group" play instead its "Bracket" system, like "March Madness," except with home-and-away.

So we'd only have to go down once, odds to Mexico. AND THIS TIME MLS, can we postpone DCU reserve matches, so our reserves can be 2/3 of our starting line-up vs. MLS competition. so we can have rested players for Int'l tournament. That's what should have happend for the Concacaf.

DCU Reserves vs. Chicago Fire. postponed (oh hell forfited) reserves match. and then Rested, stating players for the Concacaf.

12. Ricky_DCU

Ricky_DCU New Member

Feb 1, 2001
    Somerville, MA

This would be pretty sweet- paging Mr. Goff...

13. Ricky_DCU

Ricky_DCU New Member

Feb 1, 2001
    Somerville, MA

http://www.conmebol.com/comunicados_ver.jsp?id=57919&slangab=S

If I'm understanding this correctly, and DC United gets the CONCACAF "at large" spot, we would play the winner from the Chile vs. Peru bracket on September 21st and October 5th (both Wednesdays). If we were to advance to the quarterfinals we'd be facing a club from either Argentina or Brazil. Of course I may be putting the cart before the horse here, but I just wanted to put the info out there.

14. Colonial717

Colonial717 New Member

Aug 5, 2004
    Arlington, VA

If we don't accept I for one will want to have a very good reason. I can see basically no reason not to do this. A couple of reasons why it would be hard or could turn out bad, but none whatsoever that shout do not even attempt. I will be very disappointed with the DC front office if they decline. I will be so f-ing livid if we don't go because of an MLS or other larger entity descision.

15. Bootsy Collins

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

How about taking a deep breath and waiting until we know if it's even true? The only report that we've had that says it is true is from a Galaxy fan with two red nipples for trolling.

Hey, post 1000!

16. Lanky134

Lanky134 New Member

Oct 25, 1999
    134, 3, 6

I have no inside information on anything. But, as one who remembers the Copa Merconorte disaster of 1998, I'll believe it when our first game kicks off.

17. Colonial717

Colonial717 New Member

Aug 5, 2004
    Arlington, VA

You are right. I was just reveling in my indignant anger over imagening dcu turning down a great opportunity that probably hasn't even been given to them.

18. garbaggio

garbaggio Member

Jan 3, 2001
    Arlington

[snicker]Superman has red nipples...[/snicker]

19. Supersuperman99

Oct 28, 2004
    Los Angeles

Well once we find out that this indeed is true the rep better start pouring in collins

20. gildarkevin

gildarkevin Member

Aug 26, 2002
    Washington, DC

That's the way I heard it -- just today. It would not be one of the biggest clubs from Argentina or Brazil (for instance, not River or Boca, but more like Independiente or someone like that).

21. NattyBo

NattyBo Member+

Apr 30, 2004
    Nunya
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
  22. LN - Dougg

LN - Dougg Member

Aug 26, 2004
    Dale City, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    El Salvador
  23. Ricky_DCU

Ricky_DCU New Member

Feb 1, 2001
    Somerville, MA

Yeah, looks like not all the participating Argentine clubs have been determined yet- but the potential Brazilian teams are Santos and Fluminense I believe. Of course, as I said before we're getting way ahead of ourselves. Where did you hear about it?

24. Ricky_DCU

Ricky_DCU New Member

Feb 1, 2001
    Somerville, MA

Ok, guess it's for real after all. I will be very happy once it's no longer "tentatively agreed". Thanks for the heads up NattyBo.

25. Bootsy Collins

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States