Windows 98 Compaq Quick Restore Problems, Any Help Appeciated.

Discussion in 'Technology' started by Gman60000, Jun 15, 2005.

1. Gman60000

Gman60000 New Member

Jun 13, 2004
    United States
    After using the Quick Restore discs on my computer some serious problems manifested. I picked the option of using 2 discs to restore the computer which I thought was fine but while the first worked perfectly the second disc I put in only to have in pop back out in 5 seconds or so basically getting nothing of out putting it in, HOWEVER the restore continued resting my nerves on the issue. Once it came back up to the regular desktop though problems began, in the upper right hand corner of the screen a box with Compaq Quick Restore stays up there, ok that's fine I thought but it never EVER finishes before the computer automatically reboots. Yes it takes about 30-45 minutes after a reboot before the computer reboots again before the Quick Restore thing can finish. I have gotten as far as "Installation Almost Complete" before the screen blacked out on me and the process with the rectangle in the upper right corner repeated. THAT is the main problem I simply have no clue of how to either stop the computer from rebooting so it can finish, whether on not it's important to keep it running, or how to simply stop it from running. Now that may not seem to bad, sure I can whether it and outlast some of the reboots but the real kicker is when I shut the computer down I always get this exact screen: "Quick Restore Can Not Continue Error Code PQCFG-001" and then I have to use the discs again and the process repeats. Obviously, it is a tedious and annoying process. I have tried to stop all tasks that naturally start when you boot your computer (like say Quicktime if you have that installed) and have tried to completely remove Quick Restore but I just can not figure out how to do it. Any help would be appreciated, thank you, sorry I typed so much ha.

2. Scarecrow

Scarecrow Red Card

Feb 13, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    First off are you sure the discs themselves are not corrupt or smudged?
    Second, why are you putting Win98 on this machine? What is the hardware that you have, processor, RAM, hard drive size?

Do you have a Win98 CD that you can just do a clean install from? You should have a Compaq disk for any drivers that 98 doesn't find.

I guess the last question I have is are you dead set on retaining 98? If you have another PC running XP or something, and if this is an older box, you may want to consider running Linux.

3. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For the love of all that is holy, ditch 98. Run Linux (download Suse 9.3) and you can do all of your web browsing, email, and word processing stuff on a totally easy to use/install distro. Or you can try Ubuntu. Hell, even get Windows 2000 if you can. Stay away from 98, it's awful.

4. Scarecrow

Scarecrow Red Card

Feb 13, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How is SuSE 9.3? BTW I LOVE the toolbar for Firefox!!

[​IMG]

5. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    SuSE? It's
    [​IMG]

Just installed 9.3 on a machine at work, and it blows RH8 (our previous distro) completely out of the water. I love it. In fact, I think it's something I'd feel comfortable installing on my parents' computer.

6. Scarecrow

Scarecrow Red Card

Feb 13, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I have SuSE 8.1 here in my computer room, haven't had the time to download the latest and greatest but I need to.

Thanks for the info.[​IMG]

7. Gman60000

Gman60000 New Member

Jun 13, 2004
    United States
    Oh sorry I should have specified it's a pretty old comp and 98 was default and ME really didn't run very well on it at all, if I still have problems though after trying all of this I may resort though to something like that.

Thanks!

(Edit: ME didn't run very well on it the last time I put it on, which was...2-3 years ago I think, haha.)

Ok here we go double edit sorry but it may be necessary. 128mb RAM, AMD-K7 Processor, 30 gig hd (I think), 850 mghz I believe.

8. Scarecrow

Scarecrow Red Card

Feb 13, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Bump the RAM and put SuSE 9.3 on it.

9. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed.

Look Gman60000, I know "install Linux" probably wasn't the answer you were looking for, but you really are much better off dropping that piece of crap 98 (MX is no better). You are vulnerable to spyware viruses, driver crashes, random acts of computer malfunction, etc with 98.

A little more RAM, and that machine should run just fine under Linux, and it will be safer, more secure, and way more stable than Windows 98. And there is nothing you are doing on that old hunk of junk that a Linux box couldn't do.

10. URwormfood

URwormfood Member

Mar 24, 2004
    6 feet under: LOT 8
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Whats your model# for that compaq?

I may be able to help....may take a few days...but I will see what I can do.

list all errors for me...and is it 98se or just 98?

~worm~