Panama Qualifier location rumor

Discussion in 'USA Men: Fans & Travel' started by BenC1357, Jun 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BenC1357

BenC1357 Member

Feb 23, 2001
    KC
    On my way out of Salt Lake City last Sunday I ran into the ESPN production crew that does the USMNT games. We talked for quite some time in the airport about many topics. One thing that came up was the Panama game, and where it would be located.
    The guy that seemed to be the leader of the group said that they were looking at Charlotte, NC for this time. He said that first of all USSF is waiting to see how the next couple of games go.
    While the location is not guaranteed, the source has a little more credibility than your average BS poster who normally just speculates on where he thinks the game should be. Now if the game is really going to be there we'll just have to wait and see.

Just thought I'd pass along the information and get you guys down in the southeast a little excited. :)

2. scaryice

scaryice Member

Jan 25, 2001
    The Bank of America stadium? Around 73,000 seats, 37,000 in the upper bowl, so maybe you don't sell those. Are there any other smaller stadiums in Charlotte?

I thought they would play this game in a smaller stadium because we'll probably have qualified already at that point. They really should play it in Hawaii as a reward for the players, plus it would draw pretty well.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Are you sure they didn't say Charleston, SC?

Seriously. The odds of the Panama game drawing more than 10,000 are probably currently less than 50/50.

- Wednesday night - school night
    - between the last two weeks of the MLS season
    - mid-October, baseball playoffs
    - Panama
    - and the kicker: meaningless.

This is the Jamaica game from last November all over again, but with less of a draw.

This game should be in one of the smaller venues like Blackbaud or SAS Stadium. Maybe PAETEC Park in Rochester.

4. texgator

texgator New Member

Oct 28, 2003
    Plano
    Frisco, damitt!!!!!!!

5. DoctorD

DoctorD Member+

Sep 29, 2002
    MidAtlantic
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Plus they could call in Brian Ching. He's Hawaiian you know.

6. michael greene

Oct 31, 2002
    If there ever was a game that is safe to play in HDC, this is it.

After all, isn't that place supposed to be the "Cathedral of US soccer", despite the fact that it's the RFK of the West Coast; an away game vs. almost any CONCACAF opponent?

7. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not that I care either way, since I probably won't make this mid-week one ...

But would FCD want to have a US game at that poing, making it four games on that pitch in 10 days?

FCD ends the season with three home games (nice!): 10/5 (Wed), 10/8 and 10/15 (both Sat). Throwing in 10/12 ...?

Eh ... who knows.

8. Keeper 77

Keeper 77 New Member

Feb 26, 2004
    Denton
    I'm in for Frisco.

9. texgator

texgator New Member

Oct 28, 2003
    Plano
    And we are most certainly going to be hosting playoff games (hee hee) and its in the thick of the HS football season. Good point.....I hadn't considered that. Sonofa.....I want a local qualifier!!!!

10. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know at some point ... the market can get oversaturated as well, and we had that a couple of years ago with Revs home games on three straight Saturdays, with mid-week stuff each of those weeks (Gold Cup included). It wound up being something like 10 games in Foxboro in 21 days, which believe it or not, can actually be a not-so-good thing for some people. And it's not good for the field either. I'm sure you guys will get your quali in the next go-around.

11. guamster

guamster Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    Winnetka, CA
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Guam
    I can get behind that idea.

WCQ at the HDC: it's time!

12. blech

blech Member+

Jun 24, 2002
    California
    I'm with you,

The HDC: For qualifiers after we've qualified

With pre-sales and the Galaxy crowd, I think people may be surprised at what this crowd/stadium would be like.

13. BenC1357

BenC1357 Member

Feb 23, 2001
    KC
    The guy said Charlotte, NC.

I thought at the time that I could think of at least 5 places that would be better locations, but I just took the info and didn't get into any further discussion about it. I didn't figure the game would matter anyway, so who cares? (save the people who live close to these venues.)

14. bostonbully

bostonbully New Member

Aug 21, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Today's Boston Globe (or maybe it was Sunday's) had a little blurb about Craig Tornberg mentioning that USSF *considers* Gillette Stadium to be in the *running* to host this match. Don't remember the exact words but the gist was that there is a list of possible venues of which Gillette is one. Not sure of the credibility, but it was in print for all to see.

15. scaryice

scaryice Member

Jan 25, 2001
    Well obviously they would move one of the games and make it a doubleheader.

16. rksehga

rksehga New Member

Aug 13, 2002
    nyc
    They should put this game at Giants Stadium. But I guess Giants is getting its fill with the Gold Cup - ah well

17. adam

adam Member

Mar 6, 1999
    Minneapolis
    Why not put it at the National Sports Center in Blaine, MN?

It has an immaculate field (the women's and youth national teams have played there several times), and can hold just about the right amount of people for this game.

The stadium has handled crowds in the 15,000-16,000 range with the addition of extra bleachers.

I don't think they'd have any problem at all selling at least that many for the full national team, which has never played here to the best of my knowledge.

Spread the wealth.

18. Bluecat82

Bluecat82 Member+

Feb 24, 1999
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sadly, as you know adam, if you're sitting in those bleachers on the east side, even if you're in the front row you're soooooo far away from the action (as those of us who were at the US-Canada U-20 will attest)...

As much as I would love a 15-minute drive to get to a quailfier, I think this one should go to HDC or Frisco if we've already qualified.

Until last Saturday, I would have said...if, on the other hand, by some incredible fluke our World Cup lives hang in the balance on the Panama home match, it has to go to Crew Stadium.

Now...put it back in Salt Lake.

19. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would doubt they will re-install grass for a game three days before the Utes host San Diego State.

20. Tigerpunk

Tigerpunk Member+

Jun 17, 2004
    They wouldn't need to. They could just get the fieldturf fifa approved, if it isnt already.

not like the mlsers arent used to it.

21. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    This whole SLC orgy reminds me of post-April 25, 2005 when an even more pro-US (over 30k of 37k total) school night crowd had turned heads.

49+ months later and the U.S. Men's national team has yet to return. I hope SLC gets another. The atmosphere was great. The stadium was great, and the 3.2 beer was plentiful :p

22. lazerleft11

lazerleft11 New Member

Apr 18, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    obviously im down with anywhere close to nc.

23. rksehga

rksehga New Member

Aug 13, 2002
    nyc
    can you cover up the gridiron lines on fieldturf though? I doubt FIFA would let a WCQ be played on a pitch that had more than just soccer lines.

24. kebzach

kebzach Member

Dec 30, 2000
    Greenfield, WI
    Gee Andy, do you think that whole "ownership" thing might have had something to do with it for 2005?

25. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Definitely. But that's only been since last December. From April 26, 2001 to some point in late-November/early-December 2004 HSG and the Wizards were interested in hosting a USMNT match.

Way to overstate my point - which wasn't about the Wizards, but more that RSL is just the current flavor of the month. I could just as easily dug up a similar quote from the USSF with regards to Portland, OR post-1997.

Oddly, all three of those games were vs Costa Rica. Other than a pre-98 tune-up vs Kuwait (which was also a great crowd) has the USMNT been back to Portland since?

I'm just saying that RSL was great, and the coach loved the atmosphere, but I wouldn't start planning the next Sam's Army tailgate there until after the next game there is announced.