Iraqis Not The Problem

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Coach_McGuirk, May 15, 2005.

1. Coach_McGuirk

Coach_McGuirk New Member

Apr 30, 2002
    Between the Pipes
    http://egyptelection.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=955

At least we're not actually fighting terrorists, right? :rolleyes:

2. RyanBabel

RyanBabel Red Card

Mar 14, 2005
    Rotterdam, NL
    Iraq is a temporary solution

3. speedcake

speedcake Member

Dec 2, 1999
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    for whom and to what?

4. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I support the war and you don't, but I have a bad feeling neither one of us wants to know his answer.

5. Demosthenes

Demosthenes Member+

May 12, 2003
    Berkeley, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If the so-called insurgents are really mostly foreign terrorists, why are the Iraqi people putting up with it? It's the Iraqi civilians and police who are getting killed the most. It seems to me that a terrorist network needs certain supports to survive and thrive. They need places to meet and places to hide, they need weapons, they need ways to communicate with each other. How could they have what they need, and continue to function, without the support of a good segement of the Iraqi population?

6. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How much support do they need? They seem to be coming in across the border, so this isn't a long-standing insurrection like, say the VietCong. They don't live in Iraq, they just show up and fight/bomb/kill/blow themselves up. And how many of them are we talking about? This is a country of millions, remember--a few hundred terrorists could find plenty of supporters from a tiny fraction of that population.

7. Demosthenes

Demosthenes Member+

May 12, 2003
    Berkeley, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I suppose. But I'm not just talking about active support. This is purely speculative, but it strikes me that if the majority of the Iraqi population really wanted the terrorism to stop, there is more that they could do to help American forces - mostly by providing information.

8. Rick B

Rick B Member

Aug 26, 2003
    Harare, Zimbabwe
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Zimbabwe
    Your forgetting one word - fear. They are used to being oppressed, and are probably being told what will happen if they help the US/UK.

9. DJPoopypants

DJPoopypants New Member

'U.S. military estimates cited by security analysts put the number of active jihadists at about 1,000, or less than 10 percent of the number of fighters in a mostly Iraqi-dominated insurgency.'

10. Roel

Roel Member

Jan 15, 2000
    Santa Cruz mountains
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I agree with Coach. Since Saudis blew up WTC on 9/11, they are the problem. However, too many Americans support W, and W is in the pocket of the Saudis, so we are left sucking their hind tits.

Iraq was simply the most flagrant bait'n'switch episode, ever.

PS. I like calling a post-detonated Saudi Arabia Loneystan.

11. Mel Brennan

Mel Brennan PLANITARCHIS' BANE

Paris Saint Germain
    United States
    Apr 8, 2002
    Baltimore
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I quite simply do not believe that it is a few hundred guys wandering around the desert the nall of a sudden producing coordinated attacks. Insurgents need food, water, payrolls, arms, first aid, shelter, schedules, orders, logistics, supplies, alternate identities, motivational speeches, etc. a few hundred guy all alone in the desert can't produce this crap...

Bottom line: ******** whatever we think: the military HNIC, Gen. Myers, tells us as late as April 27th that the number of insurgent attack averaged - averaged - 40 a day, and has gone up to between 50 and 60 a day, and that the insurgeny is "about where it was a year ago." There is no way that that insurgency operates without substantive support from people in the population. www.globalsecurity.org offers the following list of insurgent groups:

Insurgent Groups:

-Active Religious Seminary
    -Al-Faruq Brigades
    -Al-Mahdi Army
    -Al-Sadr's Group
    -Ansar al-Islam
    -Armed Vanguards of Mohammad's Second Army
    -Black Banner Organization
    -Hasad al-Muqawamah al-'Iraqiyah
    [Harvest of the Iraqi Resistance]
    -Iraqi National Islamic Resistance
    -Iraqi Resistance Brigades
    -Iraqi Resistance Islamic Front (JAMI)
    Iraq's Revolutionaries
    -Islamic Armed Group of al-Qaida, Fallujah branch
    -Jamaat al-Tawhid wa'l-Jihad
    -Jaysh Muhammad
    -Jihad Cells
    -Liberating Iraq's Army
    -Mujahideen Battalions of the Salafi Group of Iraq
    -Muslim Fighters of the Victorious Sect (aka, Mujaheddin of the Victorious Sect)
    -Muslim Youth
    -Nasserites
    -National Iraqi Commandos Front
    -Salafist Jihad Group
    -Snake Party
    -Sons of Islam
    -Unity and Jihad Group
    -Wakefulness and Holy War
    -White Flags

then offers the following groups as "Ba'athist or probable Ba'athist":

-General Command of the Armed Forces, Resistance and Liberation in Iraq
    -New Return
    -Patriotic Front
    -Political Media Organ of the Ba‘ath Party (Jihaz al-Iilam al-Siasi lil hizb al-Baath)
    -Popular Resistance for the Liberation of Iraq
    -Return
    -Saddam's Fedayeen

while submitting:

(Mod note: rest of the article here: GlobalSecurity.org story)

So we don't know how many guys are foreign fighters, but we're sure that some are. Fine; but we'd best understand and get fvcking real about the fact that the insurcency has decent popular support, probably everywhere that we don't find reporters (i.e. the entire nation other than Baghdad's green zone). I absolutely believe that the same thing that was true before we started to invade nations is the same thing that's true now (and required to defeat the insurgency), which will be the same thing that will be true in five or seven or even ten years if we don't get it: we need to offer a better Idea, a progressive Isalmic empowerment idea that is fundamentally tied to us with our hands off of everything Iraqi. The COMBINATION of the better Idea (do as well as be SEEN to do) AND hadns off/out of Iraq is the only way to win. Everything else is just fulfillment of defense contracts, and filling of body bags.

Oh, by the way Allawi and Chalabi? Not the better Idea. Ibrahim Jaafari was spokesman for the Islamic Daawa Party, which is in fact theocratic, but according to the BBC "Mr Jaafari is widely seen as a unifying figure," so that's what's called for, but with a progressive vision, hopefully.

But the insurgency? Significant. They can be the demons some folks need them to be, or they can be whatever; what they are NOT is marginal. They are setting the tone and atmosphere in which folks conceive of what is possible and what is not, and we don't have the fine motor skills to speak to that with this Executive...they're all low-tone gross motor skills, all the time...

12. NGV

NGV Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    In fact, roughly 1,000 means that the jihadists are less than 5% of the insurgency, according to most estimates. And the idea that we're spending hundreds of billions of dollars, have lost thousands of American lives, have caused countless civilian casualties, and stretched our military to the breaking point, and still can't win a fight against a thousand religious fanatics - it's completely ridiculous. I can't imagine how any sensible person could read this article and conclude that the point is that "Iraqis aren't the problem."

If a thousand terrorists were the issue, we probably wouldn't need to be in Iraq anymore - even the weak Iraqi forces that we've put together so far would be able to take care of it. The problem is the much broader (and overwhelmingly Iraqi) insurgency, which fosters the anarchic situation in which those terrorists thrive.

13. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No argument. We do need to offer better ideas. Calling the liberation of Iraq an invasion or a collection of atrocities won't help.

How you get from the first half of this paragraph to the second is beyond me. I agree that the insurgency is a problem. I don't think Bush's rhetoric is the problem. He may not be the most eloquent speaker, but he does ramble on about democracy, freedom, etc. The insurgents? They wax nostalgic for the Baathist regime, and murder people.

14. NGV

NGV Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Oh yeah, one other thing from the article that's worth noting.
    This demonstrates why the "flypaper theory" is such a moronic justification for the Iraq war. A common sound bite that the Bush administration uses to defend the war is that "we're fighting the terrorists in Iraq so that we don't have to fight them in (random American city). This one-liner seems to have a certain appeal among the clueless- but it's total nonsense. The people going to Iraq to blow themselves up would have never had the connections or resources to involve themselves in terror attacks against the US. Instead, by offering a much more convenient target, we've created a whole new class of low-end terrorists who can now just hop on a bus across the border to attack Americans. In other words, we've lowered the barrier to entry into the jihad business.

However, enabling the existence of low-end terrorists does absolutely NOTHING to prevent or dissuade the high-end terrorist from creating plots against the United States. In fact, it makes that task easier - by giving terror groups a haven (to help replace the one they lost in Afghanistan), providing easy access to weapons and money, bolstering recruiting efforts, and providing would-be jihadists with networking and training opportunities.

15. Mel Brennan

Paris Saint Germain
    United States
    Apr 8, 2002
    Baltimore
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was speaking metaphorically about our policy style; big sweeping gestures, not nuanced...not about our Chief Executive specifically.

16. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK, fair enough--but still, if I were an objective bystander in that particular 'dialouge' I'd prefer the broad sweeping rhetoric coming from Washington Vs. the nuances of suicide bombings and beheadings. Just saying.

17. Coach_McGuirk

Coach_McGuirk New Member

Apr 30, 2002
    Between the Pipes
    Sure, there's an enormous number of insugents in Iraq, but they have no plan nor do they have any alternative government to offer the people of Iraq, nor have they professed any ideology except that they hate America. Any insurgency needs to have some support of the people, and this one has none.

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/05/15/weekinreview/15bennet.html?

Some choice quotes:

And, the final word on the subject from our good friend, Che Guevara (Your hero, Mel!)

These people are there for one reason only: to kill Americans, and they'd just as soon do it within the USA if we let them. It's just that now we're "conveniently located", like 7-11.

18. Mel Brennan

Paris Saint Germain
    United States
    Apr 8, 2002
    Baltimore
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd prefer nuanced thought-out lines from D.C.; the above is the false either-or this board is known for, but that you usually avoid.

19. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I realize it was a cheap shot, and lazy to boot, but I was trying to nail you down--given the brutal nature of the jihadists and unreformed Baathists, what exactly should we be doing differently?

Given that you and I already agree on the big, easy stuff--Abu Ghraib never should have happened, the President should have levelled with the American people about what we were facing, this Administration has a bad habit of putting loyalty ahead of accountability, etc.

20. Mel Brennan

Paris Saint Germain
    United States
    Apr 8, 2002
    Baltimore
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What should happen is that the US needs to go to the UN and negotiate the replacement of everything it is doing in Iraq (armed forces, base construction, infrastructure, training etc.) with multinational contingents and peacekeepers whose first goal is to empower the Iraqi [pick area here] to build and re-build their own nation and profit from international aid in ways that empower solely Iraqis...no war profiteering by the invaders, in any way.

21. Sine Pari

Sine Pari Member

Oct 10, 2000
    NUNYA, BIZ

Because the UN has done this so well in the past ?

22. speedcake

speedcake Member

Dec 2, 1999
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

And we have?

:rolleyes:

23. Revolt

Revolt Member+

Jun 16, 1999
    Davis, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For shits and giggles, I Googled

Let's just say a lot's been written and published on the web. Surprise!

One of the things that I recalled - and it may well have been discussed here, but perhaps not - No other president was ever caught holding hands and kissing the Saudi King.

[​IMG]

Damn, I really misss the big guy.We sure could use him right now.

24. GRUNT

GRUNT Member

Feb 27, 2001
    Lake Oswego, OR
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :D....congrats to anyone who could read that without laughing out-loud.

"the replacement of everything....with multinational contingents and peacekeepers "

Right.

No matter what gesture the UN wants to make -- assuming they can get past their Schadenfreude -- please tell us which member nations are going to step right up and send troops to Iraq. They might as well give their domestic political opponents a loaded gun to shoot them with. Better yet, just shoot themselves; it's quicker.

25. GRUNT

GRUNT Member

Feb 27, 2001
    Lake Oswego, OR
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Nobody has. But nobody tries harder than we do, even when it's stupid.