Bus Seat Belts? When?

Discussion in 'Education and Academia' started by IntheNet, May 9, 2005.

1. pething101

pething101 Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Smyrna, Ga
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

Is it possible?

2. IntheNet

IntheNet New Member

Nov 5, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd cite the "turn the other cheek" but that reference would be totally lost on you! btw... with 50 days for allocated for Pentacost celebration in the traditional Roman Catholic rite, that makes yesterday, Sunday, as what? Quick...

Bad line... school buses have numerous exits as mandated by the federal government, including front, rear, and every alternating window...

3. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    As I said in the post where I called you out, yesterday was Pentacost. After 50 days of Easter. Good job at least googling this time so you don't look like a complete idiot like you did when you made up readings and a sermon-topic you heard from a "pastor."

And again, you lied about being Catholic, as evidenced by making up what readings you heard. You got caught at it.

Quit lying about being Catholic.

4. IntheNet

IntheNet New Member

Nov 5, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FYP!

5. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A couple of searches turned up the following information...on seatbelts and busses, not Catholic preaching.

Why are there no seatbelts on school buses?

http://schoolbus.org/fqas.htm
    http://www.schoolbuscity.com/frequent.htm
    Battle of the Belts

To be honest, there was a lot of material supporting both sides of the argument, and in my mind there is no clear answer as both sides have varying statistics and testimony on their sides.

6. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wasn't going to say a word here until you "fixed the post" of Dr. Wankler, and blasphemed. I take you at your word as being Catholic, and by your posts a practicing one, and so this "fixed post" in glaring. In all seriousness, please keep it in mind the next time you head to confession, and don't blaspheme at the same time you profess to be a good Catholic.

7. IntheNet

IntheNet New Member

Nov 5, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks Chicago...refreshing to hear at least someone paying attention to topic... school bus seat restraints will probably be mandated soon despite what the leftys are saying....

I can't seem to get by Wanky's bible-thumping to discuss the issue at hand! I am convinced he is more Catholic than the late Pope John Paul, but then again... he professes to be Christ incarnate so perhaps he is!

8. IntheNet

IntheNet New Member

Nov 5, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ismitje=> Did you type this with a straight face without laughing? Just curious! You sig is pretty funny by the way!
    "That just plain sucked. I've seen teams suck before, but they were the suckiest bunch of sucks that ever sucked!" Good blasphemy! Do you know where the slang word "suck" originated?

9. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not so sure they will. The matter seems like a state issue, so the Feds cannot issue such a mandate, and one of the articles I read said that in 01 or 02 19 states tried to pass such a mandate and failed. In the end, like I said, each side has statistics and testimony on their side, and it's obviously a devisive issue...I'd be surprised if many more states had seat-belt rules in place in the next 5+ years.

10. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Suck comes ultimately from the Indo-European root sug-/suk-. Derived directly from the Indo-European root's meaning except for "person easily deceived".

slang : to be objectionable or inadequate

11. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If "suck" is indeed blasphemy - and here I use the following definitions from dictionary.com -

a. A contemptuous or profane act, utterance, or writing concerning God or a sacred entity.
    b. The act of claiming for oneself the attributes and rights of God.

2. An irreverent or impious act, attitude, or utterance in regard to something considered inviolable or sacrosanct.

...then I shall repent. If you mean that "suck" is profane/ a profanity, you certainly have a case there.

Your fixed post is blasphemous per the religious definition of the word.

12. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also - if most people read the signature with the vulgar slang meaning (assuming use as a transitive verb), then I really should change it. But I assume that most people read it as an intransitive verb, which provides a much different definition.

I don't mind changing it, and will right now, to right a perceived wrong.

Your turn.

13. pething101

pething101 Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Smyrna, Ga
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Whose going to pay for it?

In all honesty, that is the big problem. A lot of things need to be done for school systems... books, new buildings, computers, teachers, etc. No one wants to pay more taxes to pay for this stuff, where does the money come to pay for all the things that people want done in education.

14. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Well, Ismitje, if you look at posts 15, 16, and 17 of this thread, ItN demonstrates conclusively that he does not go to mass and indeed is not a Catholic.

And my point in introducing this issue wasn't to turn this thread into a religious discussion, nor a theological debate. It was to show that ItN blatantly misrepresents himself on a matter I consider most important, which leads me to the conclusion that he is also probably misrepresenting his concern with issues like school bus safety, standardized testing, teachers' unions, and so forth. Rather than trying to stimulate discussion, he's trolling tjos forum for attention.

Since ItN has made that point for me, I'm done with this one. Sorry for any inconvenience or irritation I may have caused other posters in this forum.

15. IntheNet

IntheNet New Member

Nov 5, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't see "paying for it" that large a problem if indeed it is a risk for children, as it seems to be. Most School Boards that are in cohesive unity with parents don't worry too much about identified risks and simple solutions, unless of course the issue gets hijacked by Teachers Unions! In the past identified threats have been addressed in pursuance with school buses across the nation. Over the years, manufacturers, governments (state and federal) and school boards have covered costs associated with bus warning signs, handicapped access doors, egress windows, and special back-up warnings. I know this because our School Board covered these items as they arose, over the years. What bothers me, particularly about this issue, is the legion of ignorance over the risk of buses without seat restraints. Even some of the more vocal proponents of seat belts for kids in private vehicles seem blase over those same restraints in buses.

By way of acknowledgement, I regret that Wanky regretably decided to take this thread to try to prove himself a better Christian than the rest of us. I initially asked him his view of the seat belt issue but he seemed to refuse to even address it, instead turning his asinine scorn and ridicule on others. His bombast and pomposity illustrate his intoleratance, no doubt driven by his secret secular ideal by way of oppressing Christians. Wanky does, however, depict the direction I did not want to discussion to follow, and as such he should issue an apology...

16. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FWIW, the reason for wearing seatbelts is to keep the body from flying around after impact--that's how you get hurt. Buses are designed so that the kids have very little room--the seats are high and close together, so if there is an impact the are contained in that small space between seats, rather than flying forward or into glass. In other words, the design of the bus itself performs the same role as seatbelts do in passenger cars.

Also, buses weigh a lot more than most other vehicles on the road. The irony of the story IntheNet linked is that it was the people in the car--not the bus--who were killed. In an impact between a bus and a passenger car, the car gets the worst of it.

IntheNet, since you've accused people you disagree with of wanting to see children injured or killed, you've got a fat lot of nerve expecting an apology.

17. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    Usual bullshit.

You have been BUSTED, primarily by Dr. Wankler. Whatever denomination you subscribe to, it sure as hell ain't RC. And you're on what passes for your high-horse here because you have been shown to be a hypocrite.

An earlier post of mine alluded to your using 'pastor.' Your best response was a Google search where the Church uses that word, but you still don't know why all Catholics would have busted you immediately for that usage. (Very similar to when you didn't know the correct name for the College of Cardinals, actually.)

Knowing how to use Google sure as shit doesn't make you Catholic. I think you'll find its requirements are a little more stringent than mere trolling, hypocrisy and a knowledge of Internet Explorer.

Give it up, you ain't Catholic. And based on your enlightened posts, you're even stretching for Christian.

18. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    And lest anyone forget, I blame the teachers............

19. crstiano_ronaldo_no1 redded

May 17, 2005
    I think that there should be seat belts on buses because they are very dangerous and they go over pavements when they try and turn and people fall every where. :eek:

20. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    ........and I get Neg. Rep.(!!) from ItN for this post. Musta cut to close to the bone...............

So, how are those new clothes, Mr. Emperor?

21. Revolt

Revolt Member+

Jun 16, 1999
    Davis, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This thread almost rolls up everything wrong with ITN. He only needs to blame Bill or Hillary Clinton for the current seat belt rules, and whip out a couple of bigoted and sexist remarks, Then all bases are just about safely covered.

22. IntheNet

IntheNet New Member

Nov 5, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    REVOLT: Was subject was too tough for you to userstand? Something on school bus seatbelts?
    [​IMG]

23. pething101

pething101 Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Smyrna, Ga
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Apparently, some buses already have seat belts.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,157351,00.html

24. IntheNet

IntheNet New Member

Nov 5, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I want to point out for the amusement of others that Dr. Wankler gave me negative rep for this post. The moron apparently finds something morally wrong with seat belts in school buses.

25. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    What you would've said if you weren't allergic to the truth: