Kester Returning to SD?

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by thegoofy1, Oct 15, 2002.

1. thegoofy1

thegoofy1 New Member

Dec 8, 2001
    Denver, CO
  2. Berly16ROX

Berly16ROX New Member

Sep 27, 2001
    Virginia
    NOOOO! I want Smo to stay in SD! What a crappy way to end a day. Why couldnt they have taken Amy, or Flo....Why do they gotta take Smo...Fans should have a say in this...

3. ranjeboom

ranjeboom New Member

Jun 30, 2001
    who's left?

Whoa, Smo for a 2003 3rd round pick? She's such a cutie, what a shame to lose her.

Who does that leave as SD keepers now? Pags and Shelley Fingers was it?

At least Keister's back.

4. *Crazy_Chastain*

*Crazy_Chastain* New Member

Mar 19, 2000
    Florida
    this trade is just really weird. Its like NY is like...We're sorry, we forgot how bad Webber sucks, we meant to snag Smo in the trade, not Kester."

5. AB1FAN

AB1FAN New Member

Sep 11, 2001
    whereever I want
    Club:
    FFC Turbine Potsdam
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    that is the same thing i was thinking Beth. This just really sucks. I found out about it earlier but wasn't to sure and didn't want to post anything b/c i could only find one site w/ the info on there. this is one of the stupidest trades. i'm thinking Smo over Kester anyday, but that is just me.

6. runbabyrun

runbabyrun New Member

Aug 17, 2002
    Maybe Kester threatened to retire so they reworked it. Just a thought.

7. Berly16ROX

Berly16ROX New Member

Sep 27, 2001
    Virginia
    im for Smo over kester to...none of our players deserve to be in ny :)

8. Tsunami

Tsunami Member

Oct 16, 2000
    SD, CA
    Club:
    Arsenal LFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Major Bummer!!!

I'm bummed at this - Smo probably won't like being in New York, but at least it would mean that she will continue to start.

So now the Spirit will have 3 keepers starting in the league...

Why couldn't Presher wait until he got the new coach in place (or maybe the new coach told Dave that he wanted Sherrill back?) Just weird...

We already have what seems to be a sufficient number of midfielders. If we were going to trade a good keeper, it should have been for backline help.

9. Tsunami

Tsunami Member

Oct 16, 2000
    SD, CA
    Club:
    Arsenal LFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Spirit Website

there is no announcement listed yet, but when you look at the team roster, Smolak's name is missing and Kester's is back (but without a number listed.)

what's odd is that Crow is still listed as the coach!

10. cachundo

cachundo Marketa Davidova. Unicorn. World Champion

GO STANFORD!
    Feb 8, 2002
    Genesis 16:12...He shall be a wild ass among men
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Good point.

So now it looks like the trade was Smolak for the # 17 pick. Not a bad trade. And then you get Kester for free. That's the killer. How many times are SD going to fleece NY? LOL.

I think SD got a good deal when Kester was thrown in for free. If NY were patient for a GK, they would have waited for the roster cuts in December. But NY probably figured that it would be better to do a trade now than wait for someone else's cast-offs.

11. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Strange goings-ons.

And I don't know if any of you saw the Tribune this morning, but another coach rejected the Spirit. (The Wake Forest one.) I'm too lazy to go get the link.

Strike four. (Or is it five?)

12. AB1FAN

AB1FAN New Member

Sep 11, 2001
    whereever I want
    Club:
    FFC Turbine Potsdam
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i guess i should go to Sc to see Carly play for NY. ugh that sounds sooo wrong.

13. Tsunami

Tsunami Member

Oct 16, 2000
    SD, CA
    Club:
    Arsenal LFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. One is the loneliest number...

Guess I'm the only one who's glad to see that Kester is back...

You guys suck! :D :p

15. Soccersuzie

Soccersuzie New Member

Jun 17, 2001
    Orange County
    if they are planning to snag solo in the draft...

what does everybody think about another defender, allyson marquand? i think she can be converted into a midfield...

shes on the U-21 team and is at Stanford. She kicks ass at swimming too... :p

16. runbabyrun

runbabyrun New Member

Aug 17, 2002
    I think she is only a junior as she redshirted one year with a knee injury.

17. Jo

Jo New Member

Jan 15, 2000
    Kansas
    Re: One is the loneliest number...

I'm glad to see her back. She's really fast, she can play forward or midfield, and I was impressed with how fast and effectively she got back on defense. However, according to the U-T article, there are probably more trades in the offing. She may be trade bait.

When are we gonna' get a coach?!!!

18. AB1FAN

AB1FAN New Member

Sep 11, 2001
    whereever I want
    Club:
    FFC Turbine Potsdam
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    if they were to go for a keeper I'd say go for Jenni Branam. She is smart and can take control of her D. She is also a hard worker.

19. Cornerkick

Cornerkick New Member

Sherrill was promised that she would be traded to Carolina (she`s from here and just got married-her hubby is in business school here). SD then instead sent her to NY and she didn`t want to go. NY sent her back. I would bet that within the next week plans for her to be in Carolina will be finalized.

20. Soccersuzie

Soccersuzie New Member

Jun 17, 2001
    Orange County
    o yeah i forgot about that... she injured it before the day she was suppose to the first swim meet for our swim team, and she came in on crutches. torn mcl.

who would we trade for in carolina?

21. *Crazy_Chastain*

*Crazy_Chastain* New Member

Mar 19, 2000
    Florida
    :rolleyes:

:D

22. Jo

Jo New Member

Jan 15, 2000
    Kansas
    That makes sense. Now who does Carolina have we want--that they would turn loose of?

23. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    From Soccer America's Women's Soccer Insider newsletter:

24. Jo

Jo New Member

Jan 15, 2000
    Kansas
    It sounds like we won't be getting anybody from Carolina for Kester.

25. runbabyrun

runbabyrun New Member

Aug 17, 2002
    I think this poses an interesting dilemna for the league. If Kester can just threaten to retire and then go to her team of choice via being waved, it could create a snowball effect. I was wondering when this would happen.

I think the league needs to create some sort of compensation for this type of waiver (call it a retirement release). If a team is forced to release a player (via retirement or threats of no-showing) then you should receive a compensatory draft pick or player from any team picking her up. In other words, her rights should remain with the Spirit.