Crymelo Anthony quoted in Maxim about "soccer"

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by bracer028, Apr 15, 2005.

1. bracer028

bracer028 Member

Mar 9, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Q: I want to play a sport, but I suck at everything i've tried. What's a good one for someone with no athletic ability?

A: Soccer! Soccer ain't hard. All you gotta do is kick the ball. You don't need any athletic ability to kick a ball.

2. SirManchester

SirManchester Member+

Apr 14, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Watching him attempt to play "soccer" would be like watching a fish out of water. This guy needs a wrecking ball to the head.

3. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    come on now... what did the wrecking ball do to deserve that?

Melo is an a$$ and now... I proclaim he will forever live in the shaddow of Le Bron... FOREVER

4. ugaaccountant

ugaaccountant New Member

Oct 26, 2003
    I'm looking forward to the "battle of the gridiorn stars show". It's an ESPN show where football stars will attempt to do other sports and I believe I saw Soccer was one of them. I'm guessing only 1 or 2 will even be decent at it.

5. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Two to be exact. The Gramatica brothers.

6. I am Joe²

I am Joe² New Member

Jan 10, 2001
    Jersey
    I guess this douche bag missed this years Dunk Contest, because you know the shi t that Steve Nash did with the ball takes no athletic ability. :rolleyes:

He should talk to Jason Kidd about soccer taking no athletic ability.

7. ronaldinhobr10

Jan 9, 2005
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    what a ****

i just hope that he plays football one day and realizes how it is.....i hate this guy even more now

8. Cassano

Cassano Member

Jul 16, 2004
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Steve Nash is actually a big fan of soccer and actually played in college. His favorite player is Zinedine Zidane and is actually quoted saying that Zidane is a magician in Sports Illustrated. I guess that's why he makes the plays in the NBA.

9. rossoneri_22

rossoneri_22 BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 18, 2004
    Apparently he's a fan of Tottenham Hotspur as well.

10. rossoneri_22

rossoneri_22 BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 18, 2004
    and Dwayne Wade.

11. _Wheels_

_Wheels_ New Member

Aug 31, 2004
    Wisconsin Rapids, WI
    Here's his brother Martin.
    And his sister also plays.

12. SirManchester

SirManchester Member+

Apr 14, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    This douche bag will live in the shadow of a piece of dirt on the road and I'm being nice about it.

13. ports485

ports485 New Member

Mar 22, 2005
    Phoenix, Flagstaff
    Steve Nash and Tony Parker are the only two NBA players I know of who are any good at soccer.

A fellow named Shaun McDonald, a wide receiver for the Rams, played soccer for my club and school and was arguably better at soccer than he was at football until he went to college. Strong and lightning fast, decently skilled striker, took us the state title and had a few Division I offers. Oddly enough his cousin is the Sacramento Kings point guard Mike Bibby, but he never played soccer to my knowledge.

And Carmelo Anthony is an idiot. Soccer is probably one of the most athletic sports out there. You can be 5'5" 120 lbs. or 6'8" 230 lbs., and however fast or slow, but you have to be coordinated and able to run over distance and move your feet.

Anyone who's over 7'0" and knows his arse from his elbow can probably carve out an NBA career for himself.

Anyone who weighs over 350 pounds and has a decent % of muscle and can still walk could probably be an offensive lineman in the NFL.

14. hawk_claw

hawk_claw New Member

Aug 14, 2003
    Wisconsin
    carmelo's a woman

15. condor11

condor11 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 2, 2002
    New Zealand
    i dont even know who this fella plays for

16. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You can't take Carmelo Anthony seriously. This guy is not the sharpest tool in the drawer. This is the same guy who friends of mine have seen on the local access channels in Baltimore, with his "street" friends, discussing life on the street, including the sale of "pharmaceuticals" and such. Of course Carmelo apparently doesn't say much of anything himself, but just appears in the videos and in the regular scenes to support his boys. I did mention that this was something that my friends claim to have seen within the last 6 months or so, right? Which would mean that this would be since he's been carrying around a huge NBA contract. We won't even discuss the fact that he was up on charges for drug possession while this thing was supposed to have been airing. Just pointing this out to again tell people to calm down about 'Melo. The guy has as much common sense and/or intelligence as Shawn Kemp.

17. PsychedelicCeltic

PsychedelicCeltic New Member

Dec 10, 2003
    San Francisco/London
    Good to know that Carmelo Anthony's college education gave him the wisdom he needs to succeed in life.

Wait..

18. Ricky_DCU

Ricky_DCU New Member

Feb 1, 2001
    Somerville, MA
    Steve Nash's dad is from England I think, and he raised his kids as Tottenham supporters. I remember an interview where Steve Nash said his parents were way more excited when his brother Martin went on (an ultimately unsuccessful) trial with Tottenham than they were when Steve established himself as a star in the NBA.

19. CL_2004

CL_2004 New Member

Sep 10, 2004
    Toronto
    Carmelo Anthony is known for making dumb remarks regarding things non-Basketball related. I don't take him seriously. Never have and never will and neither should anyone else. He is ignorant.

The same guy who said during the 2004 Athens Olympic Basketball Tournament and I quote "Them foreign guys can't play ball" and this was after a defeat to a top European country during the tournament.

20. guado

guado Member+

Jun 30, 2004
    ocotengo miedo
    Club:
    Inverness Caledonian Thistle
    Nat'l Team:
    Indonesia
    i remember seeing an interview with nash wearing an england jersey.

21. Dominican Lou

Dominican Lou Member+

Nov 27, 2004
    1936 Catalonia
    Kobe Bryant also respects soccer as he grew up partly in Italy.

This just shows how unbelievably ignorant about soccer some people in the US are and why people write books trying to analyze why this is.

And it's not just cuz soccer isn't the top sport here either. I don't think a professional cricket player in India or baseball player from Puerto Rico would think like this.

22. The Double

The Double Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 11, 2002
    Denver
    You guys are really sensitive.

23. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Anthony is just another stupid person. Why care what he says?

Nash's brother is (or has been on ) the Canadian Men's National Soccer team. Parker is friends with Thierry Henry (Henry was at the NBA finals a couple of years ago).

Grant Hill used to play soccer until he was 14 or 15 at a fairly high level. He claims he grew too big for the game.

24. jec1

jec1 Member

Sporting Clube de Portugal
    Portugal
    Aug 27, 2004
    Los Angeles ATM
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    steve nash so be an ambassador to soccer he loves so much . i saw him at a pregame match playing soccer and doing some tricks in vancouver. i am a big fan of him cause he is trying to promote soccer and to me thats a good thing.

25. SirManchester

SirManchester Member+

Apr 14, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    This isn't about sensitivity. I think i'm perfectly justified in defending the very thing I love if someone makes a completely ignorant and uncalled for comment about it, no matter who it is.