CONCACAF Oly Qualifying viewing options

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by kool-aide, Jan 13, 2012.

1. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The USWNT games will be on Universal Sports which I use to have over the air but just discovered I now don't. TimeWarner cable does not have it as part of their package.

What's a fan to do?

2. Socarchist

Socarchist Member+

Feb 21, 2010
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Try online at concacaf.com. According to the Women's Olympic Page, all matches will be streamed live. Just register to watch for free. In some past tournaments, Concacaf.tv archived the matches.

3. CANAmerican

CANAmerican Member

Aug 10, 2011
    Toronto
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    great thanks!

4. Mister Crossbar

Mister Crossbar New Member

Aug 21, 2011
    USA
    It appears that the final will be on the NBC Sports Network (fka Versus).

From a post in another sub-forum:
    That TVGuide article is the only one I've seen mentioning this, so take this with a grain of salt, at least until there's other confirmation (namely listing sites like TitanTV, TVGuide, etc.)

5. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    i miss universal sports. it shows a lot of (olympic) sports and games that other networks are not interested in. i saw some world class volleyball there recently. i'm hoping it's not too late to call and try to get it back on my channel lineup.

nevertheless, if you don't mind spanish, the first three games (vs dominican republic, guatemala, and mexico) are on telemundo - still on time warner's channel lineup.

http://www.ussoccer.com/Schedule-Tickets/Schedule.aspx

6. Mister Crossbar

Aug 21, 2011
    USA
    When I check Telemundo's schedule at TitanTV and TVGuide, I don't see any of those games listed, so at this point, I'm not counting on Telemundo as an option.

I've sent messages asking for clarification to USSoccer and Telemundo via their "Contact Us" pages. And, for good measure, I emailed a Telemundo PR contact. If I get any responses back, I'll post them here.

7. fire123

fire123 Member+

Jul 31, 2009
    Please do. I was hoping to catch the games on Telemundo.

I canceled my cable subscriptions and I thought I could catch them on USN. Then it stopped broadcasting Over-the-air just this month. :mad:

8. LaxBandit

LaxBandit Member+

Aug 27, 1999
    North Tonawanda, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The listings at TVGuide.com now go through Sunday, January 29 and
    according to it, the final will indeed be shown on NBC Sports Network -
    LIVE - starting at 8:00 pm ET.

Edit: Just check TitanTv.com and the listings there confirm that the
    final will be on NBC Sports Network - LIVE - starting at 8:00 pm ET
    on Sunday, January 29.

LB...

9. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll check the CONCACAF streaming. Thanks for that info. Otherwise I'll have to make arrangements w/ friends/family with cable.

I liked Universal Sports, too. I don't have cable and it was a nice addition to my over the air options. Volleyball, skiing, track&field, etc. I haz sad :( The two Spanish language channels I get over the air are Univision and Telefutura.

10. Mister Crossbar

Aug 21, 2011
    USA
    I didn't get any messages back, but someone was listening to someone apparently, as USSoccer.com has dropped Telemundo from the list of TV options. The listed options now are "Universal Sports Network, CONCACAF.com, universalsports.com."

11. Mister Crossbar

Aug 21, 2011
    USA
    Update on Universal Sports -- (thanks to JJ Mindset for locating this press release yesterday)
    Highlights from that press release (emphasis added):
    So, it sounds like UniversalSports.com will be a second online streaming option, at least for those of us in the States. And, hopefully, 'free' means free for all and not just the limited few subscribers who get Universal Sports.

12. Mister Crossbar

Aug 21, 2011
    USA
    Looks like CONCACAF TV is geo-blocking us in the States, so that's probably out as a legit option: I got a geoblocking error for tonight's CRC-Cuba match, but it's not blocking viewers in Canada and Mexico.

Here's the direct link to Friday's USWNT match at universalsports.com:
    2012 CONCACAF Women's Olympic Qualifying: Dominican Republic vs. USA.

Update:

From the CONCACAF WOQ thread -
    SportsNet Canada doesn't appear to be geo-blocking the USA. Here's the direct link -- http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/concacaf_woq/

This is working for Thursday night's matches.

13. skybolt

skybolt Member

Dec 16, 2011
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    I watched last night's games on p2p4u.net. That's another option if these other sites don't work for whatever reason.

14. e20mo

e20mo New Member

Apr 6, 2003
    Any one know if any of these games are being archived anywhere? I'm hoping that I can catch up on some of the games I won't be able to watch live, but I haven't heard of anything but live streams. For instance I missed the Canada match last night and would love to watch it today or tomorrrow.

I thought the sportsnet.ca live feed worked great by the way for the CRC-Cuba game I did watch last night.

15. Mister Crossbar

Aug 21, 2011
    USA
    UniversalSports.com has a "Full Replay" options for some of their videos, but all of those seem to be behind a per-event paywall. I guess we'll see if the USA matches are available for replay (either for free or behind the paywall).

If all else fails, CONCACAF TV does have 3-minute highlight videos of the WOQ matches so far.

16. Mister Crossbar

Aug 21, 2011
    USA
    Geo-blocking musical chairs...

CONCACAF TV now appears to be working for US IP addresses.
    Sportsnet.ca is now apparently being geo-blocked.

Not sure if CONCACAF TV will be blocked for tonight's USA match.

17. CCSoccerFan

CCSoccerFan Member

May 2, 2009
    Weird. I had registered with concacaf in oct 2010 and still have the email but I had to re-register. Same email I've had for years.

18. CCSoccerFan

CCSoccerFan Member

May 2, 2009
    So did I read it right that it might be on NBC Sports Network? That's 603 on my Directv lineup. Hoping!!

19. Mister Crossbar

Aug 21, 2011
    USA
    Only the final is on NBC Sports Network. All other USA matches are on Universal Sports.

20. CCSoccerFan

CCSoccerFan Member

May 2, 2009
    Ah. Darnit. I don't think directv has that so I'll be watching online.

21. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Channel 625 on Directv, at least out here that's their channel #. (We have the sports package.) And apparently the Directv commentating (Chastain et al.) is infinitely superior to the online commentating.

22. Mister Crossbar

Aug 21, 2011
    USA
  23. FawcettFan14

FawcettFan14 Member+

Mar 19, 2004
    Colorado
    I'd like to watch the rest of qualifying on Universal Sports, but every time I try to view a video on their website, a window pops up that says "Unresponsive script", and the rest of the page won't load. Has anyone else experienced this problem?

The CONCACAF feed is good quality, so I can't complain, but I find Brandi Chastain's analysis to be refreshing and insightful and would prefer her to the Canadian guys.

24. Mister Crossbar

Aug 21, 2011
    USA
    (Windows Vista, Firefox 3.6.25) I got a similar dialog box, but then I chose to load the script anyway, and it worked fine.

Have you tried other browsers? With Chrome, I don't get any errors, though the UniversalSports.com website launched its own pop-up dialog box (see below quote), but video plays fine.

But, without knowing what the specific dialog box said (It should have listed the specific script file), it's difficult to diagnose the issue. This could be a script related to the site's Silverlight video, or it could be something else, such as an ad-serving script.

25. radiosoccer

radiosoccer New Member

Jan 23, 2012
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I watched the entire US-Guatemala match yesterday on the Universal Sports website using IE8 and had no problems at all.

Brandi was gracious as always when LeRoux's chance for 6 goals in the match was well saved by the Guatemala keeper, thus keeping Brandi as a co-holder of the records for most goals in a US match. She said that she had hoped Sydney would have broken the record in her hometown.