Possible team name?

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by Goldenstick, Mar 24, 2005.

1. Mattbro

Mattbro Member+

Sep 21, 2001
    How come everyone likes Houston Rovers but no one likes Houston Wanderers? That's basically the same name!

My vote is for Houston Aguilas (provided the team is owned by America). "Club America Houston" is just plain confused-sounding, if you ask me. Not as bad as Chivas USA, but still provides for a WTF moment.

2. Sachsen

Sachsen Member+

Aug 8, 2003
    Broken Arrow, Okla.
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like Houston Republic.

Republic of Texas, etc. Plus I just think it's cool.

And I don't give a flying rat's posterior what Jim Rome and Tony Kornheiser think.

3. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    PLEASE STOP!!! voting for the Hurricanes

Agree! Texas as a Republic is the only state in the Union to have been its own nation (Hawaii is the other), be recognized with embassies in Europe. Then, in a heated vote that saw the President Sam Houston kicked out of office for voting pro Union, be apart of another nation (the CSA) before going back to the Union in 1865.

And on that what about staying true to the Tex-Mex sabor and fightin' spirit that is our culture.

Independiente Texas 1836

or

Independent Tejas 1836

The crest has the red arm and saber with dripping blood. From the Gonzalez Battle flag of 1836. Can someone wiser than me pull that image up?

I would invison the crest has in Latin, English or Spanish.

"Stai Libare non Libre"

Freedom Is Not Free

La Liberdad No Es Libre (Gratis) No lo se como floja aqui??? :)

4. irishapple21

irishapple21 Member

Apr 4, 2005
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Turks and Caicos Islands
    Re: PLEASE STOP!!! voting for the Hurricanes

Sam Houston was a wise man. To paraphrase him, he said that the North was not weak, only slow to begin. But when they did attack it would be like a terrible avalanche and he wanted to spare Texas the ordeal. If only Texas had listened to him. He was like a prophet.

5. jared9999

jared9999 Member+

Jan 3, 2005
    Naucalpan Estado de Mex
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    club america jrs.

6. P1brit

P1brit Member

Mar 31, 2005
    Novi, MI
    Club:
    Swindon Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    As long as it is not XXX USA I will be happy. I'd like to see something that reflects the Houston area or texas, but between all the other teams in Texas (cowboys, rangers, mavricks, stars, spurs, texans, longhorns) a lot of good names are taken. I'd like to see a team called Houston S.C. and then have them have a seperate nickname like desperados or something.

7. Doctor Woo

Doctor Woo Member

Nov 5, 1999
    Newport, OR
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Please note the Jethro Tull tie-in. (Ian Anderson for you younger-than-35's.) How about Houston Aqualungs?

8. 3rd Degree

3rd Degree Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because it's not a Lunar Wanderer.

9. Magi-Raistlin

Magi-Raistlin New Member

Sep 26, 2003
    SC
    Can someone tell me how to post an image on here? I can't for the life of me figure it out...

10. Auxodium

Auxodium New Member

Apr 11, 2003
    Perth, Australia
    Houston FC would be good

1836 Houston would be a good name very 1860 Munich like.

11. anderson

anderson Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Click on the "Quote" button on a post that has an image (like my Rover post above ;) ) and you'll see how to use the image codes. You can also click on the Insert Image icon when you're composing a post - it's right above the area in which you type your text.

12. Blu N Houston

Blu N Houston Member

Apr 8, 2005
    In your head!
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought of a possible name, C.A. Houston is a given, but call them the Defenders and put the "come and take it" as the logo, or just add it to the team logo. It shows pride of both Texans and Mexicans that lived in Texas at the time. It also shows, we don't take ********** and will fight for our lives!
    [​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

13. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Isn't the 1860 for the year the club was founded?

Houston FC '07

---
    Where is Caddman?

14. Bill Schmidt

Bill Schmidt BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 3, 2003
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's kind of the situation with the S.F. Giants. You'll see the "Giants" logo on the screen while the anchor says "gigantes." It's a solution up to the point of what's written on the logo. Maybe they could just use the picture of an eagle on the logo, and not really focus on the word in the merchandise.

15. anderson

anderson Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can't seem to find an example on the web, but I've seen merchandise (probably much of it unofficial) that has an eagle perched on the America logo.

In concept, sort of like the eagle on the Benfica logo:

[​IMG]

America uses eagle images on its merchandise, so they may be able to come up with something that incorporates a coolish eagle image with the existing logo:

[​IMG]

They could also localize the America logo by adding a star on the map where Houston is located or a text ring around the existing logo that includes some reference to Houston or Texas. Of course, they would probably want to market this team to America fans all over the US, so I'm not sure that having a specific reference to Houston or Texas in the logo or name would be along the lines of what they may try to do. I suspect that Televisa wants a nationally marketable club that happens to be based in Houston. Investing in a venue in Houston and spending a few million dollars to bring a team to Houston may be the only localization that we'll see.

America in Mexico has no references in its logo to Mexico City or even the country of Mexico. They could easily have used a map of Mexico, instead of a map of the Americas, in their logo. They could easily have added some nationalistic reference to the logo. But that's not really what they're about. A map of the Americas on the logo really is the point.

16. anderson

anderson Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    America de...

Just for grins, here are some other logos of other clubs named America:

Cali, Colombia:

[​IMG]

Belo Horizonte, Brazil:

[​IMG]

Rio de Janeiro, Brazil:

[​IMG]

Brazil has several other teams named America, but their logos all tend to be based on one of the two above.

17. dfffd61

dfffd61 New Member

May 30, 2005
    Lubbock
  18. Veruca

Veruca Member

Jul 13, 2005
    Aurora, CO
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd like that flag if we could replace Aguilas w/Houston. I think that would be a great logo.

19. .César.

.César. Member

Jul 18, 2005
    Houston
    I would personally prefer
    Houston Thunder!!!!!!!!!
    or
    Houston Storm!!!!!!!!!
    because of today :(

20. .César.

.César. Member

Jul 18, 2005
    Houston
  21. fnsandpwr

fnsandpwr New Member

Jul 20, 2005
    Houston
    Burned Dreams

22. anderson

anderson Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FYI re logos

Just FYI since some of us posting in this thread also apparently like thinking about logos - this site contains over 4,000 soccer logos from all over the world. It's also searchable.

High Quality Football Logos

23. .César.

.César. Member

Jul 18, 2005
    Houston
    LOL Oops that's what i meant

24. anderson

anderson Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, given MLS' regular flirtation with Houston since 1996 and that we still don't have a team, that may be the most accurate so far...:eek: