Possible team name?

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by Goldenstick, Mar 24, 2005.

1. Goldenstick

Goldenstick Member

Jul 4, 2003
    Bridge City, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Houston were to get awarded and MLS franchise what would be a good name for the team?

2. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Houston Eagles.

-G

3. Caddman

Caddman Member+

Aug 18, 1999
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I voted for Houston Eagles/Aguilas assuming Club America are the investors. I was fond of the Houston Dynamos name and I also liked the NASL Houston Hurricane colors and logo:

[​IMG]

4. lperez808

lperez808 Member

Apr 23, 2003
    Houston
    Club America Houston Sounds real good

CD America-Houston!, come on guys you can't deny how great that name sounds.

America Jrs. is still I think my favorite

5. regulator

regulator Member

Apr 25, 2004
    New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    houston nova

6. jhope

jhope BigSoccer Supporter

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Mar 18, 1999
    San Antonio, TX USA
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Houston Dynamos

7. BulaJacket

BulaJacket Member

Columbus Crew (hometown), Minnesota United (close ties), Colorado Rapids (now home), Jacksonville Armada (ties)
    United States
    May 9, 2003
    Ashtabula, OH / Denver, CO / MN / Jax
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Depends on if Club America owns the Houston expansion team.

8. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree with you guys. Now that I've thought it over:

If the Houston MLS expansion team is owned by Club America, the team-name should be Houston Eagles.

If Club America has nothing to do with the expansion team, then the team-name should either be Houston Dynamos or Houston Hurricanes.

-G

9. taco jones

taco jones Member

Dec 23, 2003
    Must have been happenin' times having the Love Boat's bartender as your #10.

I voted for "Houston Handlebar Mustache Club 06".

10. anderson

anderson Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly. If Televisa/CA owns the team, then the [insert city name][insert mascot name] naming convention won't happen. In that case, Club America Houston is the best option. The team name has to include "Club America" - that's the whole point of branding. "Club America" is one of the two most popular soccer brands in Houston. That brand is a very valuable asset in this market. Televisa isn't going to invest millions of dolares in this market and then not use its most valuable asset.

Spanish-language press and fans will call them Aguilas, while English-language press and fans will call them Eagles. It's a very Houston-appropriate solution.

My only real concern with Televisa/CA naming the team is that they don't take the "Chivas USA" naming approach. Something like "Club America USA" or "CA Aguilas USA" sounds even worse than Chivas USA. It would be much better to have "Houston" in the official name instead of any USA-ish naming.

11. Brian in Boston

Brian in Boston Member+

Jun 17, 2004
    MA & CA, USA
    If Club America is indeed the investor/operator of a Houston-based MLS franchise, rest assured that the team will be branded as Club America Houston... or some such configuration. As anderson pointed out, a significant reason for Club America to acquire such an asset is as a promotional tool. There's no promotional value if the Club America brand isn't somehow conspicuously tied to the team name.

That said, if Club America weren't to acquire the I/O rights in Houston, but the city still landed a franchise, I'd suggest either the Houston Apollos or Houston Roughnecks. Either would pay homage to an industry (aerospace and oil, respectively) that has played a significant role in shaping the city of Houston. Oh... and if you must, feel free to slap an SC on the name (Houston Apollos SC or Houston Roughnecks SC).

12. EastBayGrease

EastBayGrease Member

Mar 1, 2005
    Santa Clara
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I say stick to the MLS trend of naming a club after a historically disasterous aspect of the host city (Chicago Fire, SJ Earthquakes) and dub them The Houston Cholesterol.

13. Tyler66

Tyler66 New Member

Apr 22, 2004
    Massachusetts
    well, the name does depend whether it's owned by Club America or not.

14. maturin

maturin Member

Jun 8, 2004
    I really like the sound of Houston Rovers FC. It's just classy.

15. Aljarov

Aljarov Member

Sep 14, 2004
    fmnorthamerica.com
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Yeah, classy, like all those other Rovers we know....Blackburn, Tranmere and Doncaster.

Ah the English Riviera teams.....!

Rovers is a proper Northern English name, and not at all classy. At least, you're the first person I've ever hear call it that.

(One mans's trash is another man's treasure....)

I agree it's traditional, but not classy.....surely?

16. anderson

anderson Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here Rover, here boy! Good boy, Rover, good boy!

:D

17. FireFanInPackerLand

Dec 8, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

NO MORE RED TEAMS! After the Chivasses, F*C* Dallas, ReAL Salt Lake, and the mighty mighty Fire, MLS has enough red teams, that being said, how about "Houston Hurricane FC?" Still have the tradition of the old name, but with a more "soccer" name.

18. DavidP

DavidP Member

Mar 21, 1999
    Powder Springs, GA
    For the love of Pete, please, no more FC (or United, City, Racing, HSV, Lokomotiv, ad infinitum/ad nauseum)! Football is NFL and NCAA in this country. We call it soccer here. Besides, I like Dynamos or Apollos better :D.

Like I, and many others have said, keep forcing this soccer=football crap down people's throats, and soccer will be back behind softball and cattle prod nose-picking in the pecking order of spectator sports in 20 years. Joe Sports Fan tunes you out, and he's the one we need to keep this going. If you want to call it football, move to Europe. Soccer lost its chance to be "football" in the US back in the 20s-30s, when the USSF and ASL were duking it out in the "soccer war," and the NFL caught up and passed them.

19. eejit

eejit Member

Jun 10, 2004
    Houston Howitzers

20. BulaJacket

BulaJacket Member

Columbus Crew (hometown), Minnesota United (close ties), Colorado Rapids (now home), Jacksonville Armada (ties)
    United States
    May 9, 2003
    Ashtabula, OH / Denver, CO / MN / Jax
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If owned by CA:

CA Houston Eagles

Treat the CA like SC/FC/CD is some names....if you need to say/use it, then do so.

For instance, in the Spanish-speaking press, you could use the hell out of the CA part.
    Refer to them as "Club America Houston" in the press relating to the brand, just as Anderson said, etc.....

But then use the "CA" part less and be more American-style in the English-speaking press, where the brand is not as important and American (US-ian) sports fans would be more apt to relate. ie "Houston Eagles"

21. Goldenstick

Goldenstick Member

Jul 4, 2003
    Bridge City, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Houston were awarded an MLS franchise, I hope they can find an American owner/investor. The purpose of MLS is to promote American soccer and growth with in the U.S. The only way Club America should be awarded an MLS franchise, is a guarantee that a SSS will be built using their money. I would still go to some of the games if the Houston franchise were Mexican owned but I can't see myself supporting a team that has grassroots in another country! JMHO

22. JayJay4Pres

JayJay4Pres New Member

May 10, 2003
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What's the problem with the other names you listed? I understand not wanting "FC" for the Football aspect, but still.

SC Houston wouldn't be to bad, then a feud between FC Dallas could really brew, the international name vs the american name.

I however, voted for Houston Wanderers....we need a Wanderers in the league!

23. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Since Texas, Cali and Ohio are the only states in the Union that I know of that have a dual State Federation i.e. North Texas and South Texas Soccer Associations. South Texas 1836 or South Tejas 1836 is my vote hands down.
    Plus South Texas has been and always will be more historic than the DFW metro plex area in North Texas. The Alamo and San Jacinto battles that won Texas independence in 1836 were in South Texas. The native Tejas indians lived in South Texas, thus the Spanish explorers called the land from then on Tejas.
    In 1836 the official language in Tejas was Spanish, so there's the coveted Latino draw right there without having to sell our Texas soul to the Chilangos. Better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not IMHO. Club America, as much as they are loved by many in Houston...they are hated by many more. In Houston there is the saying among the Mexies..."you are either Americanista or you are anti-Americanista"
    South Texas already has its own Lation pride going. That sentiment needs to be cultivated by a local owner, not be a step child from the Mexico City Eagles.
    Also, since anyone who knows footie in these neck of the woods will tell you that San Antonio is years away from being a solid fit for MLS. South Texas 1836 could reach out to those fans. O sea, MLS home matches are played in Houston. Yet, Open Cup matches are played in San Antonio. MLS teams do this often knowing the OC is still under appreciated. Again its the WE OF SOUTH TEXAS thing. Dallas folk have always for some strange reason looked down on Houston and San Antonio folk as children of a lesser God. Yet the Alamo is in San Antonio...San Jacinto is a Bagwell homerun from Reliant Stadium. Let FC Dallas be the MLS team for the North's State Association. They just now have attempted to get their name and colors right.

Let South Texas 1836 stand for all that is unique about South Texas history, people and passion for the beautiful game!

O yeah...I went to the NASL Houston Hurricane matches in the Astrodome circa 1979-80. And our old USL Div-III squad was the Houston Hurricanes FC. So please, let's not go there again. To many memories to have the MLS team carry that hard luck legacy.

24. mouseboy33

mouseboy33 New Member

Dec 24, 2003
    I think The Houston Cholesterol has a nice splat to it.
    [​IMG]

25. DavidP

DavidP Member

Mar 21, 1999
    Powder Springs, GA
    Because none of the other names I mentioned make any sense for American sports teams. They sound stupid. European teams are named the way they are for a reason. It makes American teams look like wannabes, nad it's just more fuel for the fire for the Jim Romes, Tony Kornheisers, and the like, who most American sports fans listen to.