How did you become a Sunderland supporter?

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by hewittdallas, Jun 15, 2011.

1. hewittdallas

hewittdallas Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Huntsville, AL
    Club:
    Sunderland AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So I think it would be interesting to get a thread going about how we all came to follow the Black Cats since the majority of us are here in the States. Obviously, there isn't a huge following for our club over here, so I would imagine our stories are somewhat unique.

I'll go first...

I grew up playing soccer here in the US. It has always been my favorite sport and I loved every minute of it through middle school, junior high, high school and college. Eventually college ended and my opportunities to play the game became few and far between courtesy of work and life in general. As I was able to play the game less and less, I began to follow it more and more.

I always followed the various clubs in Europe, but the EPL constantly stole my attention. One of my close friends is a die hard Everton fan and he continued to tell me you can't follow the EPL without following a club. Naturally, he tried to get me to follow the Toffees, but I just wasn't interested. So I began studying every team and tried to identify which club I really connected with. Obviously, I could throw a few out without much thinking (ManU, Liverpool, Newcastle). I spent weeks watching matches, reading history, surfing websites, and just trying to learn everything I possibly could.

And that's how I found Sunderland AFC. From the very beginning of that journey, I loved what I discovered. The history of the club was rich and the physical style of play is simply my kind of footy. I know in a lot of ways it seems like a lame way to become a supporter of a club, but I'm okay with that. Every game I watch continues to reinforce my commitment to following this club.

Anyway, that's my story in a nutshell. Certainly not a glamorous road to get here, but an effective one none the less. ;)

2. TexasMackem

TexasMackem New Member

Jun 19, 2011
    Austin, Tx
    Club:
    Sunderland AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Growing up, I never watched soccer aside from big tournaments like the World Cup or the Gold Cup, etc. My focus was always directed more towards baseball or American football because those were, and still are, the main draw sports in the U.S. Now that I am older, I wish that I had watched earlier, but unfortunately all I can do is try to catch up on all those lost years one game at a time!

My ties to Sunderland began in the 2005/06 season (what a terrible, terrible season), which would see Sunderland go down with a record low 15 points when all was said and done. At that time, I was in high school, and a friend of mine was a huge Manchester United fan. As is always the case, Chelsea and Man U were battling it out for the top spot. My favorite teacher in high school always used to cheer for Chelsea just to poke fun of my friend's love of Man U, but it never really meant much to me, because, as I said before, I simply did not focus my attention on the sport of soccer. Other friends of mine were Arsenal supporters and Liverpool supporters, but aside from those few individuals, soccer was never really a focal point in my life.

Eventually, I grew curious and began to do a little research. I learned some basics about the game, about the EPL, and soon enough I was looking for a team of my own. The problem was, I didn't know where to start. I knew I didn't want to jump on the band wagon of a top 4 team because none of those teams really interested me, and too many other people/Americans do that already. (Honestly, try talking to anyone you see in one of the top 4 team's jerseys, and see if they can name the starting XI for their squad. More than likely they will not know more than Rooney, Fabregas, Torres, or Drogba.)

I wanted a team that I could experience the highs and lows of the game with, a team I could follow as they grew, and a team I knew would be pushing for the top, not because of money, but because of sheer perseverance and drive. In the end, I chose to do as all beginners do and start at the bottom. I asked my friends who was at the very bottom of the Premier League, and that was when they told me, and I heard the name of our beloved club for the first time: #20. Sunderland AFC.

Though I was unfamiliar at first, I grew to love SAFC over time. When I reached college, I began to watch every game thanks to the power of the internet & a larger group of soccer-loving friends, and I followed all of the news, rumors, and analysis I could find. Friends may have laughed at my love of such an obscure club (obscure to them, at least), and they may never understand why I refuse to drink Newcastle Brown Ale, but to me, this team is it, and I stand unwavering. Now, 5 years after we were relegated, I feel that I am finally seeing my love and dedication paid back. We topped Newcastle, came in 10th, and have a young developing squad to look forward to (assuming we stop selling all of our mint players). I look forward to every game, and I cannot wait to see where the new season takes us!

Ha'way the Lads!

3. hewittdallas

hewittdallas Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Huntsville, AL
    Club:
    Sunderland AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I find it encouraging to see another supporter found the club through quality research. How about everyone else? What drew you to the club?

4. HermioneHecate

HermioneHecate New Member

Mar 1, 2010
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    Sunderland AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I was a lot like TexasMackem: I didn't grow up watching footy, for my dad was a high school (American) football coach, and that was life in my family for many years (I could write a really good memoir of being a Texas high school football coach's daughter). I didn't really start following footy until I got off to college: a few of my friends were casual footy fans, and I hung out with them a lot watching the '06 World Cup. For some reason, I enjoyed watching the English team play, and eventually the sport itself. My friends told me that if I liked watching the English play, then I would like watching the BPL. At first I fell into the trap of watching the "Big 4" play all the time (I still have an Arsenal shirt from those confusing times, albeit in the back of my closet), but my love for Sunderland came about because of a three hour gap inbetween classes my junior year in college. I was General Manager for my school's radio station, so I was always up there. Thankfully we had cable in our self-proclaimed "break room," and one day ESPN was showing a Black Cats home game. When I saw the boys walk out to my favourite orchestral piece (Prokofiev's "Montagues and Capulets"), my jaw dropped, and I had to watch them. I immediately fell in love with the atmosphere at the SoL: the fans were old school passionate about their club, and I had "mad respect" for them. After watching several matches, I knew this was the club I was to support. It's as simple as that: a gut feeling.

5. hewittdallas

hewittdallas Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Huntsville, AL
    Club:
    Sunderland AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well Hermione, if you are going to have any historical ties to one of the big 4, at least you chose Arsenal. Certainly could have been worse. :)

6. HermioneHecate

HermioneHecate New Member

Mar 1, 2010
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    Sunderland AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Indeed. I think Arsenal are the least appreciated of the Big 4. None of the glory hunters I know are Arsenal fans (although they do wear red).

7. hewittdallas

hewittdallas Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Huntsville, AL
    Club:
    Sunderland AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed. I have several friends who are ManU fans that I just want to punch in the face at times. Outside of the big names like Rooney and company, they haven't the slightest clue who plays for their club. I think it's fairly safe to say when the trophies stop flowing in, the fan bases for several of these clubs will shrink considerably, especially here in the States.

8. LINETRASH

LINETRASH Member+

Jul 19, 2011
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Sunderland AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wasn't a fan of any particular team, just liked watching the EPL matches...Then Roy Keane quit Sunderland and I started pulling for them hard not to be relgated.... they stayed up and its been a emotional roller coaster ever since :D

Have a good feeling about this squad this season........ I think they won't get off to the good starts they had the previous 2 seasons but I don't think they will have those winless droughts this season either ;)

I hope that makes sense :D

9. hewittdallas

hewittdallas Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Huntsville, AL
    Club:
    Sunderland AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would be ecstatic if we could find a way to wipe on those ridiculous droughts that we've had the past two seasons. If Bruce can manage to bring about some consistency this season, things could be very promising. Hopefully the added numbers will improve the chances of that happening.

10. blackcat59

blackcat59 New Member

Apr 22, 2010
    Club:
    Sunderland AFC
    My reasoning is simple. I am a huge cat lover, domestic cats, lions, tigers, mountain lions, bobcats, you name it. So when I began watching football in 2009 and seeing all of the different clubs, my 3 clubs were Sunderland, Aston Villa, and Milwall. (I know, I know). I read about Sunderland's history, and how the club found the black cat in their locker after an FA Cup loss back in the early days. When I saw they were named the Black Cats and AV had the Lions as one of their names, these two became my most watched clubs.
    Aston Villa was eliminated last year when Bent stabbed SAFC in the back, putting Sunderland firmly in first place on my list. I never seriously considered Milwall after reading about their firms.

11. LunaSlave

LunaSlave New Member

Sep 20, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Well, I'm a longtime fan of the sport although I spent quite a while not following it as closely as I have in the past few years. I followed it pretty closely in the 90's, though. Traditionally my clubs are Barcelona and Manchester United, and I always had a major soft spot for Tottenham Hotspur as well. My favorite United player back in the day? Steve Bruce. My favorite Spurs player a few years back? Darren Bent.

Put the two together, and combine it with the fact that I've always had a bit of a dislike for Newcastle, and the fact that I was instantly attracted to Sunderland's style of play after actually giving them a chance, and there you go. Plus, I like black cats ;) What's funny is that even though Bent's gone, and even if Bruce leaves, the club has really gotten 'under my skin' (to quote Niall Quinn) and although I'll always have that emotional connection to Manchester United and Spurs, and I favor United in the title races as far as the top teams go, Sunderland have really captured my heart. Last time Man United and Sunderland played, I found myself rooting for the Black Cats, which really says something, because barring a game against Barcelona I've NEVER cheered against United :)

Also, I know that every club inspires fans in its own way, but I really can't put my finger on what it is about Sunderland - there's a certain kind of spirit and passion I've found among the fans of this club that I've not really encountered elsewhere. It really does get under your skin. I don't know if I can really call them my 'favorite' club (and I've never been the sort to just follow one team at the expense of all others) but I will say this: Win or lose, I've become a Sunderland fan for life.

12. UFF DA

UFF DA Member

Sep 29, 2010
    Club:
    Djurgardens IF
    I first got into Sunderland because I really like Feyenoord. I read the two teams' supporters have a bit of a partnership/connection. Not sure if it's true...but at the time it was enough for me to really enjoy rooting for Sunderland (unless of course they ever play Blackpool ;))

13. mrbleary

mrbleary New Member

Nov 6, 2011
    Charlotte, NC
    Club:
    Sunderland AFC
    My story is rather boring in comparison.....

..I was born and bread in Sunderland so it was a natural choice :cool:

14. Crammers

Crammers Member

Apr 25, 2007
    West Palm Beach, FL
    Club:
    Sunderland AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    That makes two of us..... I had no choice in the matter. My Dad took me to matches as a kid and from that point I was hooked.