Official 2011 Nabisco Cup Thread [R]

Discussion in 'Japanese Club Football' started by zappin, Apr 1, 2011.

1. zappin

zappin Member

Jul 4, 2008
    Liverpool, UK
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    The J.League have confirmed this will now be a full knockout competition starting in June. Five rounds, two legs in the first two and then single matches from the quarter finals onwards. ACL teams still get byes to the quarters, Omiya and Niigata get byes to the second round.

Full draw: http://www.j-league.or.jp/data/view.php?d=news&f=cup&y=2011&l=E

Potential Osaka derby in the semi final. :D

2. goru_no_ura

goru_no_ura Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Miyako of Zipang
    Club:
    Sanfrecce Hiroshima FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Re: 2011 Nabisco Cup Thread [R]

Or Gamba-Reds, all in one game!

I am wondering where will the quarterfinals and semifinals played.

3. Matsu

Matsu Member

Mar 28, 2001

Looking at the breakdown of groups, and the fact that quarterfinal and semifinal are played within the same week, I think the following would be a good educated guess:

Top left section QF: Saitama
    Bottom left section QF: Nagai or Banpaku
    Left semifinal: The other Osaka (Nagai/Banpaku)

Top right QF: Toyota
    Bottom right QF: Nissan
    Right semifinal: Kokuritsu

4. goru_no_ura

goru_no_ura Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Miyako of Zipang
    Club:
    Sanfrecce Hiroshima FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan

Matsu, I know that you DO secretly work for the J.League, don't you?? :)

5. Matsu

Matsu Member

Mar 28, 2001

No, Ive just been around so long that I can read their minds .... :p

6. zappin

zappin Member

Jul 4, 2008
    Liverpool, UK
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan

Nice guess, but I think you're putting too much thought into it. It's simply the team on top that hosts the match so the four ACL clubs will each host a quarter final and then Cerezo/Nagoya (or whoever defeats them) will host the semi finals. :)

At least that's what it think it says here (correct me if I'm reading it wrong).

7. Matsu

Matsu Member

Mar 28, 2001

Several problems there. First of all Kashima probably cant host (unless their stadium is fully repaired in time) so they would probably have to play at either Kokuritsu or Yokohama (which makes more sense looking at the potential opponents). If Kashima is fully repaired in time, then I agree the quarterfinal will probably be played there. But Im a bit sceptical after seeing the photos of the damage.

Second, Cerezo and Gamba are in the same half of the block so assuming both progress, one of them would be playing two CONSECUTIVE times at home. That is a bit too big an advantage even for the J.League to accept. Its far more likely that Cerezo would play one game at Saitama, simply for the attendance boost (and because either Reds or Omiya are likely to be the opponent) and then play their semifinal at Nagai which will be home IF they progress, and home-like enough to boost attendance if the semifinal turns out to be Gamba-Reds.

Third, keep in mind that stadiums have to be booked in advance. You cant change venue just because (for example) Montedio beats both Urawa and Omiya.

Finally, what it says in the note below the graphic is that the team on the right side of the bracket will be considered "home" and the team on the left will be "away". But that has nothing to do with the venue because teams dont own their stadiums so "home" and "away" are relative. Ive seen plenty of Emperor's Cup matches in the past where (for example) Urawa played in Saitama Stadium but were listed as the "AWAY" team.

8. zappin

zappin Member

Jul 4, 2008
    Liverpool, UK
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan

Fair enough, makes a lot of sense. :) I guess we'll just have to wait for more info. I definitely know that Gamba's quarter final will be at Banpaku though, because they announced it themselves.

9. goru_no_ura

goru_no_ura Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Miyako of Zipang
    Club:
    Sanfrecce Hiroshima FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    This will stay sticky until a few days after the final, then I will unstick it and stick the Emperor's Cup instead.

Edit: We'll stick this when the Nabisco gets a bit more serious!

10. shuvy87

shuvy87 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2003
    USA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
  11. GunnerTNB

GunnerTNB Member+

Apr 4, 2011
    São Paulo
    Club:
    Botafogo Rio Janeiro
    Frontale lost 4-0... is Soma still safe on his job?

12. mv_nelson

mv_nelson Member

Jun 22, 2008
    Club:
    Melbourne Victory
    I hope he'll be able to stay on. I haven't watched any of their games since the game at Nissan at the start of July; is it a case of the squad needing some defensive reinforcement?

13. Vendo Thefastlane

Jul 16, 2009
    Mito, Ibaraki
    Club:
    --other--
  14. GunnerTNB

GunnerTNB Member+

Apr 4, 2011
    São Paulo
    Club:
    Botafogo Rio Janeiro
    Some great games today. Urawa x Gamba and Nagoya x Kashima in the semifinals!

15. Whispered11

Whispered11 Member+

U.C. Sampdoria
    Japan
    Oct 4, 2011
    Munich, Germany
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Maybe Urawa could save the season.

16. karolb

karolb Member

Apr 16, 2008
    Germany
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    avoiding relegation is priority at the moment, personally i dont care about the cups much right now ... it was a good game today though, controlled Cerezo for the first 60mins or so, after that Cerezo became stronger and had some nice chances as well besides the equalizer

however, whats the point in getting into final or even winning the cup, when you will get relegated the same time ... though semi finals are already on Sunday, next league match some time from now, so of course i dont mind knocking out Gamba too :p but i really cant remember when we won against them last time...

really thrilling games in heavy rain tonight ... who was that hitting the post (+second chance on rebound) in last second against Kashima? if that would have gone in...

17. Majster2

Majster2 Member+

Apr 23, 2010
    Poland
    Club:
    Urawa RD
    With money from Nabisco Cup maybe Reds could finally pay Petrovic and find someone else!

18. GunnerTNB

GunnerTNB Member+

Apr 4, 2011
    São Paulo
    Club:
    Botafogo Rio Janeiro
    It was Taniguchi who hit the post.

Urawa should be careful, maybe the "Nabisco curse" of being champion and relegated may occur in the same year this time...

19. IkerSisu

IkerSisu New Member

Oct 6, 2011
    Maaskantje-Gasteiz
    Club:
    Deportivo Alavés
    How much cash does Urawa need to sack him, then??

20. Saku²

Saku² Member+

Aug 22, 2009
    Club:
    FC Salzburg
    Fantastic match between Kashima and Nagoya. Kashima completely dominated, missing chances after chances because of the usual suspect (Koroki), then Tulio leveled the score following a FK (predictable) and Nagoya began to turn the tide. Now during extra time.

21. OneiroPhobia

OneiroPhobia Member

Feb 10, 2010
    [​IMG]
    nagai <
    OSAKO

22. Majster2

Majster2 Member+

Apr 23, 2010
    Poland
    Club:
    Urawa RD
    Yay! Umesaki!

23. karolb

karolb Member

Apr 16, 2008
    Germany
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    deserved win, they really wanted to get that, Gamba woke up way too late

24. Shizuoka

Shizuoka Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Shizuoka, Japan
    Club:
    Shimizu S Pulse
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    No surprise that the losing semi finalists are the teams in the title race. #priorities

25. Majster2

Majster2 Member+

Apr 23, 2010
    Poland
    Club:
    Urawa RD
    lol, there's only one more game to play. And money to win. I could take it if we're talking about Emperor's Cup.