2014 CONCACAF World Cup Qualifying: Other Teams thread [R]

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Real Corona, May 31, 2011.

1. whitecloud

whitecloud Member+

Jan 25, 2009
    Gulf Shores, AL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not sure whether it is good or bad to have the hardest game(Guatemala away) in the first pair of games. The U.S. always seems to struggle in Guatemala City. It is probably good to get it over with right away because we won't have to face the prospect of needing a result in Guatemala to secure advancement.

2. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For anyone that didn't watch the Antigua/Haiti game and wanted to see how it happened, I just added the highlights to my latest World Cup review.

3. Master O

Master O Member+

Jul 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Haiti's GK had his own Robert Green moment...

4. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You must spread some rep... :eek:

5. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    The Semifinal Round Schedule is also listed by group at:
    http://www.ussoccer.com/Tournaments...FIFA-World-Cup-Qualifying/Round-3-Groups.aspx

One particular item I like about this schedule for the US is that for the two games vs Guatemala, they both come on Tuesday on the heals of a tougher Friday match for Guatemala (v. Jamaica) relative to the US matches on Fridays (v. Antigua & Barbuda).

And yes, this assumes that Antigua & Barbuda is the "easier opponent" relative to Jamaica in the group.

6. HouseHead78

HouseHead78 Member+

Oct 17, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wonder which of our players Guatemala will try to decapitate this time.

I still cringe at that Cabrera's flying headbutt on Eddie Lewis.

7. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    why limit the speculation to Guatemala? Truly any team that thinks they have a legitimate shot at advancing out of a group with the US will likely play a very physical (and unbecoming) style against the "higher-ranked" and "better" teams (such as the US).

8. ChaChaFut

ChaChaFut Member

Jun 30, 2005
    I don't blame you. I'm from Guatemala and I do too. Just a really stupid challenge. I did consider him a good defender in his prime but he doesn't contribute much to the Guatemala back line anymore and I also think he is an irresponsible prick (he abandoned training at his club the other day because he wasn't in the starting lineup for the next league match) so I sincerely hope he gets dropped from the national squad already.

Occasional, lamentable incidents and individuals like the aforementioned aside, I would say the current squad is composed of more technical and more level-headed players, based on recent performances. Facing the US in WCQ, however, will probably continue to be a match that gets squad members heated up to play their hardest (while sportsmanlike, hopefully).

1 person likes this.
  9. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, given A&B's rise from the minnow pool, and Jamaica's recent run of poor form (over the last couple cycles), Guatamala has to feel they have an excellent chance to progress from this group. Though Jamaica certainly was improved at the Gold Cup and is currently in the top 50.

Point being, I think Guatamala may want to avoid losing anyone to suspension because reaching the Hex seems a very attainable goal.

10. DynamoEAR

DynamoEAR Member+

May 30, 2011
    HoustAtlantaDMV
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Quote:
    GROUP A

Date Match Result/Time (ET) Venue
    Jun. 8, 2012 USA vs. Antigua & Barbuda
    Jun. 8, 2012 Jamaica vs. Guatemala
    Jun. 12, 2012 Guatemala vs. USA
    Jun. 12, 2012 Antigua & Barbuda vs. Jamaica
    Sept. 7, 2012 Jamaica vs. USA
    Sept. 7, 2012 Guatemala vs. Antigua & Barbuda
    Sept. 11, 2012 USA vs. Jamaica
    Sept. 11, 2012 Antigua & Barbuda vs. Guatemala
    Oct. 12, 2012 Guatemala vs. Jamaica
    Oct. 12, 2012 Antigua & Barbuda vs. USA
    Oct. 16, 2012 USA vs. Guatemala
    Oct. 16, 2012 Jamaica vs. Antigua & Barbuda

Jamaica has to win that first and last game with guatemala.

Since no doubt that Guatemala will bag both games against Antigua, they have to prioritize the head to head series against them, and get a point out of us.

11. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002

there's too much football to be played to claim to know that Jamaica needs all 6 points from their matches versus Guatemala.

there are (to varying degrees of) possible routes for Jamaica to the Hex that involve only taking 4, 3, 2, 1 or even 0 points from their two matches v Guatemala.

All that teams need to do (to advance to the Hex) is finish in the top half of the group. (certainly the best and safest way to that goal would be to take at least 4 points from all three pairs of the H/A matches against the other teams in the group.)

Assumptions that teams will bag all 6 points from "both games against Antigua" (or any opponent) are the types of assumptions that lead to expectations not being met and groups really being thrown into disarray.

12. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agree with the previous poster.

But beyond that, 6 points from our first two games against A&B and Guatemala would set us up properly. We SHOULD be beating those two teams in particular, even if we are not home.

Anything can definitely happen, but starting the group NOT against the other theoretically "stonger" team in the group - Jamaica - should be a plus for us.

We should also be prepared for bunkerball knowing two teams from the group advance. Teams will be angling for a tie with us, and a win versus one another to be team #2. Breaking down 9 men behind the ball is crucial to be able to do before qualifying starts.