Fair Play or Foul! Dempsey at Fulham V [R]

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by TimB4Last, Apr 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Borrowing from the end of Dempsey at Fulham IV ...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/13055894.stm

Mods, feel free to change/improve the thread title. I almost posted {Your thread title here - Dempsey @ Fulham V}.

I do think the fair play entry to the Europa League is an interesting thread angle, and should carry us into next season.

[mod note: old thread is here https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?p=23241981#post23241981]

2. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    I like "what a Ful-ham believes".

3. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like Tim's but since he asked for suggestions-

Other possibilities:

1)Heroin Chic

2)True Grit

3)Zoltan Gera's Placeholder

:)

4. DeCoverley

DeCoverley Member

Aug 9, 2007
    San Francisco
    Club:
    AC Milan
    I humbly submit:

Revved Up Like A Deuce

5. DMTerp02

DMTerp02 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Annapolis, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dropping a Deuce

6. Mglnbea

Mglnbea Member

Jun 26, 2001
    Northern California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Se- Se- Se- Duece me Tonight!

7. CenterLine

CenterLine Member

Jan 17, 2009
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Found this on [ame="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ballad-Clint-Dempsey-Nacogdoches-Blue/dp/B004P7OPY6"]Amazon[/ame]. A song about Clint?

8. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
  9. petezuke17

petezuke17 Member

May 7, 2003
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. prowazekii

prowazekii Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Today's 2 goal performance makes Dempsey Fulham's top-scorer in the EPL (of course we're only talking 20 years or so)

NSC has video of the goals

11. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    he will be a fulham legend. hope he plays out the rest of his career there.

12. prowazekii

prowazekii Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

Celebrating the 1st goal.

13. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    getting crunk is the best feeling.

14. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    For thread title i like the classics: Clint Eastwood Dempsey

15. StarvingGator

StarvingGator Member

Jun 22, 2007
    The Hospital Bar
    Now tied for PL goals this season with Drogba and Chicharito. HMM...

16. supercooper

supercooper Red Card

Jun 23, 2008
    I promise you....if he left the club right now....fans would only describe
    him as LEGEND

- top Fulham goalscorer in the Prem of all time

- scorer of 3 of the greatest technical goals in Fulham's history

- scorer of 2 of the most important goals in Fulham's history
    (saving them vs. drop vs. Liverpool and 'winner' against Juventus)

- scorer of the most likely greatest goal in team history (vs. Juve)

- key part of Fulham team that has been at highest, most sustained level ever for the club (last few seasons)

- tough as nails performances

.....trust me....if he retired tomorrow...they would only call him LEGEND.
    FULL STOP.

17. supercooper

supercooper Red Card

Jun 23, 2008
    what's crazy is that could easily be a bit higher. He doesn't really take free kicks and not all the penalties. Fulham doesn't score near as many goals or create as many chances as those sides. Clint could easily have 14-15 this year (missed PK vs. Chelsea, easy miss last week).

It is fun to fantasize about Clint production on a side like Chelsea or Man U who would intentionally pick him out on runs vs. at Fulham which so often he is picking up garbage or imposing his will to score vs. just running into space and finding the ball 'there'. Rooney would silver platter Clint all day. Look how many Lampard has scored over the years making the same types runs Clint makes at Fulham (but doesn't always get rewarded)

18. iad_22201

iad_22201 Member+

Jan 2, 2009
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's a very good reason for that.

19. kjksccr

kjksccr Member

Feb 25, 1999
    San Carlos, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There are some Fulham fans that hate him (especially for his sulk last Saturday). Sure, he doesn't smile much and often looks more p'od than happy when he scores but his numbers don't lie and he runs his ass off when it counts.

The run he made for that second goal he makes ALL the time--which is what I observed even on Saturday and why I thought he played well. Watch him off the ball around the penalty area--top class. Even his second goal today would not have happened but for a small adjustment, two steps out towards the 18, just before the cross was hit (I think he did it so he could attack the cross rather than just be standing). Around the penalty area he makes run after run based on where he thinks the ball will end up or might end up.

I think he is fine where he is but he would be a solid 15 goal player at a top club that was attacking most of the time. He does a lot of defensive work at Fulham. As an Arsenal fan I think he would be fantastic there--definitely adding some size and power--but he is not Wenger's type of player (then again he would not be THAT expensive) and I think Arsenal will try to sign some English players so Jack has someone to talk to.

20. supercooper

supercooper Red Card

Jun 23, 2008
    This is why Wenger doesn't win. He overrates having an entire squad on pitch in the upper 1% of skill...while dismissing some very important other traits (which are worth the trade off) to include a couple, few players
    that are slightly below the 1%, but are winners. Why do you think
    Ferguson keeps Giggs? Sure, Giggs still plays at very high level, but he also has the intangibles that are critical...that Ferguson fully understands and Wenger doesn't and that's why one coach wins and one is constantly a runner-up.

21. StarvingGator

StarvingGator Member

Jun 22, 2007
    The Hospital Bar
    Transport vintage era Viera to this season's Arsenal squad and they probably win the title. Hell, a competent goalkeeper would probably draw them level with ManU.

Wenger's a genius, but he has a couple blind spots where he seems utterly incapable of seeing the faults of his team. He seems unable to judge keepers (or hire someone who can), acknowledge that centerbacks need to be able to win headers (Arsenal has given up more set piece goals than anyone else in PL this season, I think), and allow a "Plan B" offense in case the standard operating procedure falls flat on it's face.

I'm not an Arsenal fan, but I've always followed them since the Invincible days. I feel quite sorry for the actual fans, watching their team fall just short over and over again for the same reasons every time. Must be frustrating.

As for Dempsey at Arsenal, I think he'd be a nice squad player, but he doesn't fill any of the glaring holes in Arsenal's side.

He'd succeed at a higher level club in the right situation (none of them fit the bill currently, IMO. Perhaps Liverpool). However, I don't see any reason to leave Fulham. He's entrenched through numerous managers, and they're a solid, stable club. Plenty of the fans don't treat him right, but frankly he's not a terribly easy guy to love.

22. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What's sad/strange is that Clint is not universally liked by Fulham fans. He will never reach McBride status at that club.

23. fingersave

fingersave Member

Sep 28, 2009
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What a couple of golazos.

Deuce repping the Dallas Classic League.

24. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Chris Coleman, Lawrie Sanchez, Roy Hodgson, and Mark Hughes. When you've played under that many managers and been apart of that said manager's game plan right off the bat (for the most part), it's a testament to your abilities. Kudos to Clint. He's worked his ass off to get from Nacogdoches to London. Clint plays with that chip on his shoulder, like he has something to prove. I wish many players, American or not, played like that instead of playing with a sense of entitlement. Clint's always been behind the 8 ball, been the kid to overcome odds. He may rub people the wrong way but love him or not, he's a guy you want in your corner. Fulham has been amazing for Clint and vice versa. I'm proud to say we have not one but two Americans that are Fulham club legends. The club has really embraced the Yanks and my hat goes off to them.

1 person likes this.
  25. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    That's utterly baffling.