Gold Cup 2011, group of death

Discussion in 'Canada' started by RedCoatsforever, Mar 8, 2011.

1. fscat

fscat Member

May 2, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Makes sense. I know Hutchinson is a midfielder, and Jackson is a forward, but where does Simpson play - is he a forward or a winger and does he prefer a side, like how Will Johnson is a left midfielder?

2. RedCoatsforever

Jun 10, 2008
    London, Ontario
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Simpson is a midfielder who plays off to the left. Although, there have been rumours that Hart was playing him as a forward v. Belarus. Also, Jackson has been playing on the Right Wing on the national team.

3. bettermirror

bettermirror Member

Jul 17, 2008
    Fraser Valley
    Yes, Jackson as a right winger in 4-3-3, not as a centre forward in 4-4-2. I think you'll see Simeon and Josh tucking in much more to support the centre forward.

4. TopDogg

TopDogg Member

Jan 31, 2000
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Isn't it against BigSoccer rules to post entire articles? :D

5. TopDogg

TopDogg Member

Jan 31, 2000
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I guess it is.

Since the article was removed, here's a link and snippet for anyone interested.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2011/05/09/predicting-canadas-11-gold-cup-roster

6. PeeWeeMoore

PeeWeeMoore New Member

Dec 30, 2010
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    I am a fan of the USA and I will be at the USA vs Canada game in my hometown of Detroit. I want to know why David Hoilett of Blackburn does not have a cap for Canada. Does the loser Canada coach even know who he is?

USA vs. Canada. Im guessing that Canada will defend first and try to catch the USA on the counter attack. Will Johnson and Josh Simpson will be the attacking midfielers with Deguzman and Hutchenson as the holding midfielders. I would think that they would need good speedy forwards like Hoilettt and Simeon Jackson to catch the USA off guard. But typical Canada they will probly play Gerba, Freind or Hume next to Simeon and we will win 2 or 3 to nil.

Thanks Canada for being Canada.

Visitors from other countries are welcome to post in the Canada forum, but a little more tact is recommended - Poly

7. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did you think before you wrote that?

8. Polygong

Polygong Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    The reason Hoilett hasn't been called is that he has made it very clear that he wants to keep his focus on club football right now and hold off on his international career.

It would bad publicity for both Hart and Hoilett for Hart to have called him in and Hoilett refusing.

Trust me, if Hart thought he could have Hoilett, he'd take him for sure.

Truth is though that Hutchison and Jackson are the golden boys for Canada right now anyway, and they'll both be playing.

9. ottawasportsfan

Mar 18, 2005
    Has anyone heard will sportsnet be airing any games or is it to soon to know.

10. RedCoatsforever

Jun 10, 2008
    London, Ontario
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    It's pretty much always on Sportsnet, they're signed up with the CSA.

11. BigDreams

BigDreams Member

Aug 22, 2010
    Windsor, ON, Canada
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    El Salvador
    Hoping I can catch this game on GolTV. And I wouldn't call it group of death. Try being in Mexico's group...Chicharito, Gio, Guardado and all their big guns are coming to this tournament and very likely taking it all without a loss

12. ImOnFire15

ImOnFire15 New Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I'll probably watch it, hardly watch any canadian soccer games and hardly know any soccer players. Except for DeRo.

13. Moaca

Moaca Member

Mar 8, 2006
    Canada announces roster for 2011 CONCACAF Gold Cup

CANADA
    1- GK- Lars Hirschfeld | NOR / Vålerenga Fotball
    2- D/M- Nik Ledgerwood | GER / SV Wehen Wiesbaden
    3- D/M- Mike Klukowski |
    4- CB- Kevin McKenna | GER / FC Köln
    5- CB- André Hainault | USA / Houston Dynamo
    6- M- Julian de Guzman | CAN / Toronto FC
    7- M- Terry Dunfield | CAN / Vancouver Whitecaps FC
    8- M- Will Johnson | USA / Real Salt Lake
    9- F- Rob Friend | GER / Hertha BSC
    10- F- Ali Gerba | CAN / Impact Montréal
    11- M- Josh Simpson | TUR / Vestel Manisaspor
    12- M- Pedro Pacheco | POR / CD Santa Clara
    13- M- Atiba Hutchinson | NED / PSV Eindhoven
    14- F- Dwayne De Rosario | USA / New York Red Bulls
    15- D- Dejan Jakovic | USA / DC United
    16- M/F- Tosaint Ricketts | ROM / FC Politehnica Timiþoara
    17- M- Simeon Jackson | ENG / Norwich City FC
    18- GK- Milan Borjan | SRB / FK Rad
    19- M- Marcel de Jong | GER / FC Augsburg
    20- D- Jaime Peters | ENG / Ipswich Town FC
    21- M- Jonathan Beaulieu-Bourgault | GER / SC Preußen Münster
    22- GK- Haidar Al-Shaïbani | FRA / Nîmes Olympique
    23- M- Issey Nakajima-Farran | DEN / AC Horsens

14. RedCoatsforever

Jun 10, 2008
    London, Ontario
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    It's a solid lineup to be sure. My predictions for our starting eleven v. Ecuador and USA;

[LINEUP-4-5-1]Friend, De Rosario, Jackson, Simpson, Hutchinson, De Guzman, Klukowski, McKenna, Hainault, Peters, Borjan[/LINEUP-4-5-1]

15. bettermirror

bettermirror Member

Jul 17, 2008
    Fraser Valley
    I have a different thought on the first XI but the same formation 4-5-1/4-3-3. De Ro will play centrally, with Jackson up top, Friend on the bench. Although this shows De Ro as playing as a winger, I imagine he'd be playing more "free" or centrally in this formation with JDG deep and Johnson further forward pairing Hutch.

[LINEUP-4-5-1]Jackson, Simpson, De Ro, Hutchinson, JDG, Johnson, Klukowski, McKenna, Jakovic, Ledgerwood, Hirschfeld[/LINEUP-4-5-1]

another line-up I have in mind is:

[LINEUP-4-3-3]Simpson, Gerba, Jackson, Hutchinson, JDG, Johnson, De Jong, McKenna, Jakovic, Peters, Hirschfeld[/LINEUP-4-3-3]

Borjan, Friend, Gerba, and De Ro will all get lots of time....De Jong has been in form, but Kluka has the higher level experience, but not been playing....

16. adrenaline11

adrenaline11 Member+

Jul 29, 2010
    Toronto
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Lineup thoughts:

- Edgar's not on. My first thought was that it's because he doesn't know where he'll play his club football next year so he's probably skipping the tourney to make sure he doesn't get hurt. At the same time Klukowski's in the same boat but instead he choosed to still play. Different strokes for different folks I suppose.
    - Will be very weird not to see Stalteri wearing the #7 shirt and starting at RB. I have great respect for a guy who played 84 times for this country.
    - Hirschfeld given the traditional #1 shirt instead of Borjan. Does it mean he'll start all 3 games, 2 of 3 or just a sign of respect? My hope is the last option because we need to see Borjan perform at a high pressure international setting.
    - Sucks that Bernier broke his leg but thanks to Dunfield's emergence, I don't think he'll be missed that badly.
    - Lack of strikers/forwards on the roster seems to indicate that we're unlikely to see more than one on the field at any given time.
    - Still no Junior Hoilett. Yeah...

As for my starting lineup ( 4-2-3-1):

[LINEUP-4-5-1]Gerba, Simpson, Jackson, Hutchinson, De Rosario, DeGuzman, Klukowski, McKeena, Hainault, Peters, Borjan[/LINEUP-4-5-1]

Hutchinson and JDG are the guys holding back.

17. bettermirror

bettermirror Member

Jul 17, 2008
    Fraser Valley
    I think Hutch pushes forward, with De Ro as the late game changer. Johnson starts in CM ahead of De Ro as they are thinking ahead to WCQ. De Ro part of WCQ squad, but not in most starting XI's.

I can see Peters starting Right Back for sure. Good technique, pace....

18. ImOnFire15

ImOnFire15 New Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I don't any of these players except DeRo and Gerba. I don't know jack shit about Canadian soccer.

19. bettermirror

bettermirror Member

Jul 17, 2008
    Fraser Valley
    So why are you commenting then?

20. ImOnFire15

ImOnFire15 New Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Trying to get into canadian soccer since I'm canadian.

21. ImOnFire15

ImOnFire15 New Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Also who's best prospects/young players on our team?

22. bettermirror

bettermirror Member

Jul 17, 2008
    Fraser Valley
  23. ImOnFire15

ImOnFire15 New Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Thanks for web page. So MLS Soccer is where most canadians play?

24. bettermirror

bettermirror Member

Jul 17, 2008
    Fraser Valley
    Nope. Most play in Europe. On the Canadian Soccer News (Voyaguers) forum read the Men's Abroad discussion in the National Team forum. Comprehensive list including youth players around the world.

Good number of Canadians in MLS/NASL/USL of course.

25. roxbury

roxbury Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    IMHO. Simpson were consistendly played good in his club. I think You Guys will see his classyform when the Cup start.