Ashley Cole Won't Go to Spain

Discussion in 'Real Madrid' started by Bigpapa42, Jan 14, 2005.

1. Bigpapa42

Bigpapa42 Member

Dec 15, 2004
    The Wastes of Canada
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    http://soccernet.espn.go.com/headli...=321831&cc=5901

Might not mean anything, but I had read somewhere that Real was interested in Arsenal left-back Ashley Cole. According to this, he says that because of the recent racist incidents and perceived light punishment, he would not consider playing in Spain.

2. Lockjaw

Lockjaw BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 8, 2004
    Kaiserslautern
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why do you think this non-event is worthy of its own thread? :cool:

3. La China Poblana

May 13, 2003
    Chicago
    Lockjaw announcing his candidacy for modship. :D

4. Bigpapa42

Bigpapa42 Member

Dec 15, 2004
    The Wastes of Canada
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Well, seeing as there isn't a "transfer rumors" thread, which is where I would have stuck it, I didn't know where else to put it. It didn't seem to fit in the either the "New Striker" or "Who do you want to be the Next Galacticos" thread.

Sorry, I thought some Madrid fans might be interested, seeing as I've heard that some people are keen on seeing Cole there.

5. Oscar

Oscar Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Holland
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    It's a good thing I haven't seen those people, because I would have called up the friendly neighbourhoud hitman (always handy to have those on speed dial) and have had them shot dead....hard.

I guess something good came from the racist chants after all.

6. La China Poblana

May 13, 2003
    Chicago
    Oscar, that's just not cool.

7. Lockjaw

Sep 8, 2004
    Kaiserslautern
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is that similar to godship? And if it includes seats at RM games, then sign me up now!

8. Oscar

Oscar Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Holland
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    ¿Why isn't it cool?

It says nothing about the chanting itself, just that something good came from it....and Cole not coming to Spain (re: Madrid) is a good thing. Hell, this calls for a new Festivus day.

9. La China Poblana

May 13, 2003
    Chicago
    I don't want Cole to come to Real, either, but I'm of the opinion that nothing good can come of racism.

I guess it's kind of similar, Sinko and C-towner do kind of mete out justice from on high. :) You'd have to ask them...

10. King Rooney

King Rooney New Member

Jul 29, 2004
    Leicester
    very good line. but cole is by alongside zambrotta in being the 2 best left backs in the world by far........

11. minuscapita

minuscapita Member

May 10, 2002
    Fremont, ca
    Club:
    Atletico Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain

He obviously didn’t mean it literally! It’s a metaphor, you know, like if I say I would rather eat sh!t than a Big Mac, if it comes down to it I wouldn’t actually eat the Big Mac, wait! Nevermind!

12. Bigpapa42

Bigpapa42 Member

Dec 15, 2004
    The Wastes of Canada
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I'm curious too why having Ashley Cole would be a bad thing?

13. Oscar

Oscar Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Holland
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    You know, since this actually makes for a better topic than some loser who nobody gives a flying hoo-hoo about if he would play in Spain or not, there was some man on a Dutch show a long time ago who said that eating your own shít is actually healthy, and then commenced to actually eating his own waste with a glass of fine wine. No lie. One of the most amazing things I've ever seen on television. Ever.

14. kaberon10

kaberon10 New Member

Aug 10, 2002
    Evanston
    Ashley Cole is not wanted by Real Madrid because he is an attacking left back who often gets caught out. We already have one of those, who is better attacking, defending, and an experienced leader to boot. And when the time comes for him to hang up his boots, or go back to Santos or Palmeiras, I think we'll be looking for a cheaper, more defense-oriented left back like Del Horno or Chivu.

15. La China Poblana

May 13, 2003
    Chicago
    Because if you look at my "Teams" line, you'll see that I want Ashley Cole to stay right where he is. :)

16. Lockjaw

Sep 8, 2004
    Kaiserslautern
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well said! I got the darn: You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to kaberon10 again.

17. Crestofthestars

Crestofthestars New Member

Aug 18, 2004
    God Almighty.

I'm a United fan and spend half my time on these boards telling people how crap Arsenal are. Even I have to say though that Cole has developed into one of the best left backs around. Roberto Carlos is a joke. Cole is a far better player. Did you even watch Euro 2004?

18. kaberon10

kaberon10 New Member

Aug 10, 2002
    Evanston
    A) Find where I said Cole isn't a quality left back
    B) Did you watch World Cup 2002? If I recall correctly, Roberto Carlos didn't play in Euro 2004, and WC02 was the last time both played in the same tournament. Correct me if I'm wrong...
    C) For a joke, Roberto Carlos certainly has had an impressive career, wouldn't you say?

19. Lockjaw

Sep 8, 2004
    Kaiserslautern
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good grief. We have spent more time discussing a player that doesn't want to come to a team that doesn't need him. One more time, RM needs Cole like a submarine needs a screen door.

20. La China Poblana

May 13, 2003
    Chicago
    Heh.

21. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    Do you honestly think Roberto Carlos is a better defender than Ashley Cole? Really?

22. Lockjaw

Sep 8, 2004
    Kaiserslautern
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As a pure defender, I personally do not. But by the time we pay through the nose for another gigantic ego & disrupt the team getting rid of Carlos, it would not in my opinion be worth it. I would rather see us go after del Horno or Andrade, players that have proved they can play in La Liga. We are trying to be smart like Chelsea. :cool:

23. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    Andrade's a CB, but I see your point. I think del Horno is a more natural successor to RC, whom I've personally always felt to be overrated. But, to each his own, I suppose.

24. Lockjaw

Sep 8, 2004
    Kaiserslautern
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know Andrade is a CB. But every thought I have lately involves displacing Samuel! I think RC has had a great career, but age is catching up with him.

25. kaberon10

kaberon10 New Member

Aug 10, 2002
    Evanston
    I think that when he focuses on defending, and leaves the attack to the midfield and strikers, he can be a shut-down marking back. He does this so rarely that it makes people forget that he can actually defend. He is quick, strong, skilled, great touch, and doesn't dive in unless the situation dictates it. On the other hand, he is pretty short, and sometimes makes some pretty dicey decisions -- passes with the outside of the left across the box right in front of Casillas, the Eto'o mistake, etc. -- but his experience and skill usually can make up for other deficiencies. For Real Madrid right now, I'd rather keep RCarlos for another few years, sign up Del Horno or (my favorite) Chivu, and slowly integrate them into the lineup. ACole is a good fullback, but too expensive and not defensive enough for Real Madrid right now.