Son Heung-Min @ Hamburg SV 2010-2011 [R]

Discussion in 'Korean Players Abroad' started by Seol Korea, Nov 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Seol Korea

Seol Korea Member+

Jun 24, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
  2. news

news Member

Jan 24, 2008
    Cho Gwang-rae and Park Tae-ha were watching this match from the stands.

3. G0ALL

G0ALL Member

Dec 13, 2005
    U.S.
    the guy's obviously good, dude...

he just has that little swagger about him...

i'm really impressed with all the young talents coming out of korea

kind of unreal right now...

2014 will be really interesting

4. kimchipride

kimchipride Member

Real Madrid
    South Korea
    Aug 22, 2006
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    We finally found a Korean striker who can score goals. I almost can't believe it. To be completely honest however, I'm not riding the hype train just yet. I acknowledge his exceptional talent though and I'm excited for how this kid will mature.

5. bekele

bekele Member

Aug 23, 2009
    France
    Club:
    Daejeon Citizen
    so is he a goal poacher type or does he have to play on the wings at times (like park j.y.)?

6. skimmilk

skimmilk Member+

Apr 22, 2010
    Texas, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Kimchi, I have to say after a variety of semi- to full letdowns from Nam, Suk, LCS, etc. that I would normally agree but man this kid is amazing. Total killer instinct which doesn't exist on the KNT currently where most are "assist first" mentality.

Three goals in I think 220 minutes. Outscored RVN and the rest of HSV in summer friendlies in less time. Three goals I think for the U17. Too bad he sucks in Fifa 11 (I have no idea how to up his stats despite numerous goals, assists and minutes).

Of course he will hit the wall, but I'll ride the train until then. I have totally drunk the kool aid.

Bekele, IMO, he's a far better striker than winger so far. He's young so I don't think he's got the full skill set there in terms of ball controlbut given Hamburg's horrendous midfield play, I think it allows him a great opportunity to play with Petric and RVN up top. He does however have a great sense of space and he can play the one-two almost as well PJS or LCY but score better than either of them.

7. Randomized

Randomized Member

Feb 18, 2005
    To me, he is best suited at a Kaka role -- a central, attacking midfielder who can utilize his speed to make incisive forays deep into opposition territory and knock-in some impressive mid- to long-range goals. The one thing that stood out in his (Son Heung-min's) appearances so far this season is that he's considerably off his normal pace and level of trickery, which I attribute to his debilitating injury. Given more time, I feel he should get back to his normal level and the goals should only help build more confidence in himself in reestablishing his fitness. The guy is lightning fast and has a good size and so I feel Veh probably moved him out wide to utilize his sheer pace on the ball and his abilities to play one-twos in addition to his talent to use both feet to cross.

He also has some considerable work to do on his decision-making as I think he tries too hard at times to force a through-ball or clever pass and instead of shooting at goal and hitting the crossbar yesterday for what would potentially have been his hat-trick he might have done better to hit it first-time or play it across where Pitroipa and Petric where waiting. But he is at the incipient stage of his career and this is certainly a promising start.

8. Randomized

Randomized Member

Feb 18, 2005
    Nam isn't a letdown by any stretch of the imagination. He gets very little time at a club struggling to hold their head above water in the absence of Ben Khafallah. IMO, he's got as much talent as Son and is a more astute passer.

9. hihi

hihi Red Card

Mar 17, 2006
    Internet
    Club:
    Ulsan Horang I
    Nat'l Team:
    Paraguay
    Nam Taehee > Son Heungmin

10. olijolly

olijolly Member+

Aug 30, 2009
    Club:
    Suwon Bluewings
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Nam seems to be faster as well.

11. Randomized

Randomized Member

Feb 18, 2005
    Not sure about that one. Don't get me wrong -- Nam is himself really quick and I think Nam has better ball control at speed but I think Son, when he was hitting full stride during pre-season, is really, really fast and has good turn of pace.

12. skimmilk

skimmilk Member+

Apr 22, 2010
    Texas, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Sorry guys, in retrospect it was hard to tell, but I was being semi-facetious. As for letdown, I just meant compared to my willingness to get overhyped whenever it involves Korean players and I get letdown when they don't have an immediate impact like LCY or Son.

Then again, while I think Son certainly has many weaknesses to work on, its just so hard to find people with a nose for goal. I hope he doesn't go to the Asian cup so he has time to regain his explosiveness.

13. COREANO

COREANO Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    His past 3 celebrations remind me of FIFA 10 when you press random buttons after scoring a goal

14. Corporation X

Corporation X Member+

Sep 9, 2009
    Suckmydickastan
    Wish Nam would get a call up sometime soon, with the exception of a few here, most of us have never seen him play live on TV.

15. Mudang

Mudang Member+

Feb 16, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Nam was one of the kids KFA sent to Reading right.

16. Corporation X

Corporation X Member+

Sep 9, 2009
    Suckmydickastan
    One of three...

17. Sons of Thunder

Sons of Thunder Member+

Jun 27, 2009
    NY State of Mind
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    I've never even seen a recorded match on one of those Korean websites. I've never seen this kid play, period. :(

18. G0ALL

G0ALL Member

Dec 13, 2005
    U.S.
    i guess he can be a goal poacher too, but what i was impressed with was his willingness to take on a player one on one... willingness to shoot from all over the place (very unkorean-like)...

he's an 18 year old at a foreign land... but he's really confident already... willing to be greedy, shoot whenver he gets a chance...

even guys like park ji sung had real hard time adjusting at psv at first

and he has that burst of speed when he moves with the ball...

on that goal against chelsea... when he bursted to the left... pretty quick

havent seen Carvalho get beat that badly in awhile

especially by an 18 year old...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsuVEE_rJEI&feature=related"]YouTube - Heung Min Son 2-1 (Chelsea FC)[/ame]

19. skimmilk

skimmilk Member+

Apr 22, 2010
    Texas, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
  20. JL104

JL104 Member

Jan 29, 2006
    "The South Koreans want to pass gas and finally can rejoice in the end."

I chuckled

21. skimmilk

skimmilk Member+

Apr 22, 2010
    Texas, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Well, Google Translate does a MOSTLY ok job :)

22. dudedudedude

dudedudedude Member+

Aug 3, 2008
    Baltimore, MD
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
  23. trudodyr

trudodyr Member

Jul 25, 2006
    RvN isn't starting (youngster Torun playing instead), but Son surely is.

24. ChaBoomer

ChaBoomer Member

Oct 27, 2004
    San Francisco
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic