Tuesdays with Chino

Discussion in 'Alumni Forum' started by mkpage, Dec 8, 2004.

1. mkpage

mkpage Member

Jun 9, 1999
    Alexandria, VA
    File this under "where are they now"

On Tuesday nights, I play on a men's volleyball team at the Fairfax Sportsplex. For the past several months, I've noticed that former DC United player, Chino Alegria, has been playing indoor soccer on the same nights.

For those familiar with the Sportsplex, you're probably well aware of the concession stand upstairs that serves beer, among other refreshments of a non-alcoholic variety. After our games, my team typically hangs out and drink a beer or four. I've never bothered to say anything to Chino, but last night was a little different.

Unlike most Tuesdays, when I typically see Chino and his boys hanging out, last night I was a bit surprised to see him working behind the concession stand counter. So when it was my turn to pick up a round of beers, I briefly said hello to Chino. As he was serving me the beers, I asked what he was up to these days. Chino said he'd been back in Peru looking to play, but hoped to catch on with Chivas USA. I wished him well and good luck.

It was a brief encounter, and he seemed in good spirits, but I have to admit was a bit sad to see a former DC United player standing behind the counter of a concession stand serving beers.

I realize Chino was never the most talented player on the pitch with United, but he always played hard and you could never question his love for DC. I'm sure I'll see him around on Tuesdays some more, but hopefully things will work out and perhaps well see him back in MLS again.

2. NattyBo

NattyBo Member+

Apr 30, 2004
    Nunya
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Ive never met Chino, but from what Ive been told by the elders of La Barra, he lived out almost every Barra members dream and moved from 135 to wearing black and red on the pitch. I wish him well wherever he ends up, even if it is Chivas Lite. Ive only seen him play once so I cant really comment on his talent, but everyone has told me he was a generally cool guy.

3. tmas

tmas Member

Dec 30, 2002
    Kind of like the opposite of Troy Perkins. Hopefully Chino can make it with Chivas. Hope he's still not working there when my indoor season starts in January.

4. mikedett

mikedett New Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Springfield, Va. USA
    Club:
    DC United
    I feel its as shame that Chino was one of several young players whose talent was seen by Rongway and Hudfun..but niether of those two had the talent to develop properly.
    I hope that Chino is able to find a good mix and reach his goals... :D

5. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I remember standing with Chino in the Barra in '97 I think and he had that look in his eyes. He said one day he would be out on that field. I'm glad I got to see it. He made 135 proud.

6. Lowecifer

Lowecifer Member+

Jan 11, 2000
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    We'll always remember him fondly for getting Cletus sent off in '03.

7. Barbara

Barbara BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Holy crap, was that ever a sweet moment.

8. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Another nice thing about Chino was that he wasn't afraid to shoot from a distance. Almost everyone else on the team at the time thought it was illegal to crank one from outside the box, but if Chino saw an opening he would let fly from almost anywhere. (Of course, they didn't go in but they sure enlivened the crowd!)

9. Red&Black

Red&Black Member+

Aug 30, 2001
    Lot 8
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Burkina Faso
    why is it sad? sounds like honest work to me, something anyone should be proud of. too much emphasis is put on the prestiege of work in this country. every job is work and everyone should be proud they get up and go to work each day.

10. GrillMaster

GrillMaster Member

Aug 31, 2000
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I remember the anxious look on Chino's face as he was trying to get the ref's attention to re-enter the field of play (after the Cletus red, I think). I thought he was going to cry out of frustration for missing a minute of play. I've got one of his jerseys, that my son wears, in honor of his Gori-like passion and commitment.

GM

11. GoDC

GoDC Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Hamilton, VA
    I will never forget him getting a red card a minute or two after entering a game aginst the Metro in 2001. One of the greatest moments in DC United history. I don't see him catching back on in MLS but wish him the best.

12. Benedict XVI

Benedict XVI Member

Nov 22, 1999
    Ciudad del Encanto
    Club:
    Lisburn Distillery FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Chino is the man.

13. gocaps

gocaps Member

Sep 23, 2000
    With the SEs in 134
    He lived the dream - I remember him from '97 too, and nothing could be cooler than seeing him out there. There will be others someday...

My favorite Chino memory was seeing him score a goal (in '02?) and, never breaking stride, hopping the end boards to celebrate with La Norte.

14. Grasscutter

Grasscutter Member

Jan 21, 2003
    Atlantis
    Club:
    DC United
    That was the game that made me think we really had a nucleus for '02. 12:30 kick-off following USA-Honduras. Namoff and Armstrong and Lisi just bossed the midfield, and I'm pretty sure Bobby got the keys to the car for the first time. Alegria scores goal number 5, runs around like mad, and nothing's gonna stop us in '02, baby! :D

15. snbdrenzo

snbdrenzo Member

Nov 11, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    I'll never forget that goal. you're right... he never broke stride

16. dsheon

dsheon New Member

Jun 12, 2000
    I would think that Rongen would invite him to Chivas camp as a courtesy. I'm kinda surprised that hasn't happened by now.

17. Mountainia

Mountainia Member

Jun 19, 2002
    Section 207, Row 7
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He did show some improvement during his time at DC United. I always thought his problem was his range. He just seemed to cover less space in midfield than others did. But when he had the ball, he could hold it well, and over time, he gave it up less often.

I bet he would be a good indoor player. I wonder if he's tried out for an indoor team? There still is an indoor league, right?