Russia to adopt autumn-spring league format

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by tab5g, Sep 13, 2010.

1. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    Kinda interesting news, but not incredibly relevant to MLS (unless you're interested in the tangential discussions of what "the rest of the world" is doing with respect to their domestic league calendars).

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20100913/sp_soccer_afp/fblrus

now, I don't think this decision will have any bearing one way or the other on MLS's operations, but it is interesting to see a very "harsh-weather" country opting to take on a autumn-spring schedule.

I would assume that it is safe to guess that MLS will not be "premature" in any of the operational decisions that they will make for their own league.

2. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hopefully they take a very long break for the Russian winter, otherwise there is going to be a lot of frost bitten soccer players in their league. Yeesh.

3. chapka

chapka Member+

May 18, 2004
    Haverford, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is just insanity. Are they really going to play home games in the winter in Tomsk and Novosibirsk and Perm, where average winter temps are in the range of 0-10 degrees F? And Moscow and St. Petersburg aren't much better.

Best case scenario, they're still talking about most November through March home games being played below zero degrees C.

I have to wonder about the motivation for this. Could FIFA have dropped a word in their ear during the inspection tour for their World Cup bid?--after all, we know they have a bee in their bonnet about the so-called "international" schedule. Or do they think this will help them grab more Champions League cash?

I seriously doubt there was a clamor among Russian soccer fans to spend more days watching people kick an orange ball around in a blizzard.

4. Matrim55

Matrim55 Member+

Aug 14, 2000
    Berkeley
    Club:
    Connecticut
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What a ridiculous decision.

And it would be equally ridiculous were MLS to make it.

5. Fanaddict

Fanaddict Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    streamwood IL USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree.

6. DAK77

DAK77 Member+

Nov 10, 2008
    Merion Village, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe the Lowes in Russia is having a 50% off retractable roof sale.

7. OleGunnar20

OleGunnar20 Member+

Dec 7, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    so am i understanding this correctly:

meaning this 2010 season will run from March 2010 to November 2010. and the next season (2011-12) will run from August 2011-May 2012.

looks like there will be no RPL from November 2010 (end of this season) to August of 2011 (start of next season). that seems like an awful long time to go without regular season play. i wonder what if anything they will do to address that and what if any effect it will have on revenue and/or player's decision to stay in the league.

and again. MLS not moving to a Aug-May schedule has at least (if not more) to do with the US sports calendar (ie going up against the "big boys" of NFL, CFB, NBA, CBB, NHL) as it does with the weather. i personally would NEVER want to see MLS move away from the MAR-NOV schedule that sees it only go up against MLB for the vast majority of its season.

8. krudmonk

krudmonk Member+

Mar 7, 2007
    S.J. Sonora
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Heard it through the grapevine that they'll have a three-month break for winter. Might as well be Apertura/Clausura.

9. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Why? Just because they move to an Autumn-Spring schedule doesn't mean they can't have a long winter break. The only obvious difference is that the champion is awarded in late May instead of late November. I imagine the winter-break will go from about early December to early March, pretty much like the off-season break is like currently.

This change makes total sense.

10. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    I doubt this will happen. The transitional season will probably just be longer (maybe 45 league games instead of the usual 30). They'll probably play the usual 30 matches from March 2011 to November 2011, and then play the last 15 league matches from March 2012 to May 2012.

11. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    There is less need for MLS to make this change because there is no major incentive to be aligned with the Champions League here in North America like there is in Europe.

As it stands now, when an RPL team qualifies for the CL they don't partake in the CL for almost a full year later. This hurts their chances of success. Of course the same is true for MLS wrt the C'Caf CL but since its not nearly as lucrative there isn't the same incentive.

12. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They should just tell UEFA that the Russias are doing like the Brazilians so leave us alone ;).

It would be weird here in the USA to have such a long break in the middle of the season.

Then again we can play a bunch of all star games in domed stadiums. :D

13. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    exactly, as the article states there will be "a transitional championship (the "2011 season") that finishes in the spring of 2012" so we can assume that is an "18-month season" that gets them ready for an autumn start of a 12-month season for 2012-13.

it could be an interesting case study for MLS to keep an eye on.

(of course, Russia's reasons for doing something with their league schedule {moving to an autumn-spring league schedule} might not be all that comparable to MLS's reasons for or against doing the same thing -- or something different. either way, I don't see MLS actually taking the initiative to try "something crazy" with their league schedule until perhaps the next time the US hosts a World Cup, or 2-3 more World Cups.)

again, I agree that this move may indeed be "premature" (or naive or wrong) by the Russia league, but obviously they're taking a step that they think will be beneficial for their business in the long run. so yes, this might be something for MLS to keep an eye on.

14. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    absolutely.

there isn't the same present incentive or urgency here (for MLS in the Concacaf competition zone and market), but I do believe that eventually the business reasons concerning international club competition (as well as a more efficient involvement in the international transfer of players) will strongly weigh on MLS's decisions about when to start and when to finish a season.

15. yellowbismark

yellowbismark Member+

Nov 7, 2000
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    Club Tijuana
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That doesn't make sense. A 3 month break for winter? Their current off-season break is 4 months during the same time frame....Might as well be what they currently have, with a 1-month break in June (which they also do anyway for the ECs and WCs).

16. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    It makes total sense because, as mentioned above, there are advantages associated with awarding a champion in May instead of November. Meanwhile the only disadvantage I can think of is the need to have a "transitional season" which is a one-time thing and, thus, not a big issue.

17. DavidP

DavidP Member

Mar 21, 1999
    Powder Springs, GA
    Russia doesn't have the NFL, NCAA, NBA, and NHL to contend with. Still, if I'm Ivan Russkijy, ain't no way in heck I'm gonna be sittin' in a stadium come November, much less February.

18. chapka

chapka Member+

May 18, 2004
    Haverford, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Ukraine already has basically the system you're suggesting...a three-month winter break in the middle of the season, with a month or less "offseason." I'm not saying it's impractical, but I'd be reluctant to say it makes "total sense."

I'm not sure how much this helps the teams with European performance, either. Yes, the teams will have been crowned champions six months more recently, but the knockout stages will still be happening during the "offseason" or "preseason" for the Russian teams.

19. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    NHL? Hockey is way more popular in Russia than in the USA. Not to mention there are countless other sports that are popular there.

PS... the MLS Cup final is in late November in Canada in the middle of NCAA, NFL seasons.

20. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    The winter-break idea probably wouldn't go over too well with Americans but Europeans are fully used to it.

True but we're talking about a third-tier UEFA league here. Anything after the KO stages is gravy. The key issue is sending their best teams in the first place IMO.

21. Fiosfan

Fiosfan Red Card

Mar 21, 2010
    Nevada
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Russia's switch to Winter Sched, could this means MLS is next ...

I know this debate could go on and on, but don't they have a pretty harsh winter in Russia...This might work for MLS to take a three-month break in December, January and February, this way MLS can stay clear of NFL.

Russian Revolution Shouldn't be Inspiration for Major League Soccer
    FanHouse

22. pdid10

pdid10 Member+

Aug 8, 2008
    Boulder
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Another league is switching to the standard schedule...clock is ticking on the MSL.

23. Sempuukyaku

Sempuukyaku Member+

Apr 30, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Russia's swatch to Winter Sched, could this means MLS is next ...

It's not happening.

24. dsirias

dsirias Member

Oct 26, 2007
    Another league is switching to the standard schedule...clock is ticking on the MSL.

I thought MSL was a real eastate site

But I get it. All Euros want their champions crowned in May Fine.

Do we have to do that? No

But should we? Perhaps

It would not be that hard. Start the season on the 4th of July ( or later in July) taking three months off in winter , and then playoffs and MLS cup on May. Yes, you would cede all of June to baseball, but who give a flying f-ck. Every other June will be European Championship and World Cup anyway. The season start date could always be changed up a bit if necessary because of the calendar in connection with those other big tournament and our own tournaments in this hemisphere. It might even benefit soccer in this country long term. Just sayin...............

25. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Russia's swatch to Winter Sched, could this means MLS is next ...

I need that popcorn icon...