Bobic Metro rumor

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by PYordan, Nov 26, 2004.

1. PYordan

PYordan New Member

Aug 31, 2002
    Pamplona, Spain
    http://skysports.planetfootball.com...ID=22&CLID=&lid=9&title=Bobic+denies+US+offer

Out-of-favour Hertha Berlin striker Fredi Bobic has denied receiving an offer from MLS outfit New York/New Jersey MetroStars.

The German daily Bild claimed that the 33-year-old former Stuttgart, Borussia Dortmund and Hannover star could be on his way across the Atlantic after receiving a lucrative offer from the Big Apple, but Bobic says he knows nothing about it.

2. OriginalAEK

OriginalAEK New Member

May 6, 2003
    Syracuse, NY
    I doubt it would happen but i think it would be a wonderful addition to the club. Bobic is a pretty good player.

3. metros11

metros11 Member

Sep 11, 1999
    Highlands of NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lately he hasn't been that good of a player. I personally don't want him.

4. HotAssAlex

HotAssAlex New Member

Jan 20, 2004
    Staten Island, NY
    we dont have enough strikers as it is??

5. budalabutt

budalabutt Red Card

Nov 4, 2004
    Chi-town
    Not good ones no!!

6. HotAssAlex

HotAssAlex New Member

Jan 20, 2004
    Staten Island, NY
    we sure do, just not when u got 5 forwards competing for 2 spots.
    at the beginning of the season they said its good, that everybody will work twice as hard...no way
    this is not competition
    competing for a spot is when u got 3 guys competing for 2 spots...4 at most like in Columbus and DC. In our sitution forwards obviously were chosen by BB and Nick S. lottery...they pulled out names out of a hat before every match, that what it looked like atleast.

7. Rommul

Rommul Member

Aug 26, 2003
    NYC
    Why are we bringing in 33 year old europeans when we have two young forwards who can become stars who can be sold to garner a fee/allocation?

Its bad enough he stuck with Woly for so long but has Bob lost it?

Message to Bob: PLAY THE YOUNG WEST INDIANS!.

GIVE THEM AN ACTUAL CHANCE!

8. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--

Please define "lucrative offer." Based on what I know about MLS salaries, as long as you are not named Adu, there is no such thing as a lucrative salary. Especially by European Football standards.

And if he does sign on, wait until the poor bastard has to go back to Europe and those American $$$$ are translated into Euros.

9. Dead Fingers

Dead Fingers Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 22, 2004
    St. Paul, Minnesota
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Looks like Elber is rumored as well--from Bayern Site
    http://www.fcbayern.t-com.de/en/news/news/2004/02279.php?fcb_sid=986f2f0c4e698aef82fbd7a6b39bb9f0

Former Bayern striker Giovane Elber could be on his way to the "Big Apple" and the New York Metro Stars, according to reports from America. Metro Stars manager Nick Sakiewicz confirmed the MLS outfit were interested in the Brazilian but admitted talks had yet to take place. Lothar Matthäus' former club has held out the prospect of a .5 million annual salary for the striker's services. Elber's former team mate Fredi Bobic of Hertha Berlin is another reported target for the New York club.

10. CbR

CbR Member

Nov 10, 2000
    Bergen County NJ
    looks like metro is clearly looking for someone with experience. Dont forget ppl, if a guy has 2 good years in him TAKE HIM. This is MLS , you cant build a dynasty.We still have that NFL/NBA mentality where we build teams around young phemons, but those leagues dont have to worry about transfers.

If these inquaries are serious then you would have to believe we're looking to trade some fowards (since bobic and elber are fowards) for some midfielders or defenders.

11. OriginalAEK

OriginalAEK New Member

May 6, 2003
    Syracuse, NY
    I wonder how true this is. I'd take Gio Elber anyday of the week over the strikers we have now, no doubt.

12. 11Redknapp15

11Redknapp15 Red Card

Nov 30, 2003
    Fla - SC - Eire
    Wasn't Elber playing this year for Olympic Lyon in the French First Division..then he broke his leg playing for them? I could of sworn he's been out with a broken leg for awhile and was having troubles comming back from it.

I'd research this but my work has a ************ internet connection.

13. 11Redknapp15

11Redknapp15 Red Card

Nov 30, 2003
    Fla - SC - Eire
    Alrighty here ya go....

Looks like Elber has been buring his bridges over in France.

Typical Metro type pickup here...he's hated for his actions on and off the pitch and he has a reoccuring injury. Looks like another winner.

If he plays to his abilities he would tare up the MLS , but going from European hitman to MLS sniper might be a bit too much for Elber to take in. If he wants to come and play I say sign him but try and work out an incentive laden contract similar to what Tabilina has during his last year with the Metros.

Here's the latest on Elber:
    http://www.worldsoccer.com/news/lyon_furious_with_elber_news_59324.html

Follow up on the above link :
    http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2004/11/18/sports/9427941&sec=sports

14. 11Redknapp15

11Redknapp15 Red Card

Nov 30, 2003
    Fla - SC - Eire
    Here's a link from the German soccer authorities the Bild....

This link has been translated using what looks to be the services of a 9 year old Nigerian boy, as some of it makes little sense but it's a good look at what's going on with Bobic.

Seems Bobic to the Metros is practically a done deal from the looks of the quotes in the below link.

http://translate.google.com/transla...tml&prev=/search?q=bobic+metrostars&hl=en&lr=

It would be really sweet to watch Bobic and Elber paired with each again. Although it makes me wonder what's to come of, Taylor..Glenn..Magee..Woly..and SGR. Man talk about top heavy strikers.

15. MLS SupaStr3

MLS SupaStr3 New Member

Jul 2, 2003
    NJ

i wouldnt mind seeing a 3-5-2 from metro next year if we get the right players

-------Jwalker-------
    -New SI--parke---TI
    -----mastro------
    -----amado------
    --gaven----magee
    --bobic---elber----

16. CbR

CbR Member

Nov 10, 2000
    Bergen County NJ
    all of our fowards other than SGR are tradeable since they dont hog up too much cap room for other teams. If this happens we NEED a D-mid or solid back line to allow armando/gaven or lisi to feed the ball to these guys.

17. Brownswan

Brownswan New Member

Jun 30, 1999
    Port St. Lucie, FL
    This is a telling quote from the article; sometimes it takes a bad translation to get things right:

The club Bosse is stink sour that he could be operated after his calf leg break without permission in Munich.

"stink sour" could become a chant in 101 before the season is over.

18. TAKK

TAKK New Member

Jan 28, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    I don't like Taylor at all. You want strikers to be selfish, but he just kills the offense. It has to go through him, he has to shoot, he holds the ball way to long and doesn't give it up, and has he hit one guy with a give and go?
    Watching him consistently kill the game at his feet is enough for me. Tactically clueless and destructively selfish. Bye bye.
    This guy is not good. Flame away, but if this is a future Boyzz Nat player good for us, just like Ziadie. A selfish clueless baller here.

19. Rommul

Rommul Member

Aug 26, 2003
    NYC
    I don't think he has played enough for anyone to say he has consistently done anything much less kill the offense.

The only thing he did was score at a rate comparable to the best forwards in this league.

The man is dangerous and will make teams respect the ball over the top unlike what we have now in Woly.

I don't see how people can have such strong opinions about players that didn't play enough but when they did only succeeded at being more effective than the starting forward.

The guy was not on the field enough to be named and offense killer.

I don't get that.

20. Onionsack

Onionsack BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 21, 2003
    New York City
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am not even completely sold that SGR can't be a solid contributor next season if he stays. I don't think his future is at forward though, he would be good as a withdrawn 3rd striker. He is terrible with his back to goal and is too easily muscled out by big American defenders but he does have good ball control and touch and is decent at finding that nice wieghted final pass.

Guys often have trouble settling into a new country and a new system, while i wouldn't cry if he left I still think he has a chance to shine if he is used in the right way and settles within the club.

Taylor is more of a in your face goal scorer, he likes to face you and twist a snap shot off. I like him but we saw way to little of him last year to make a good judgement.

Either way one of these two has to go, Taylor is most likely the guy since we don't actually own his rights. SGR isn't going to be taken by any MLS side so unless he goes back to S. America we might be stuck with him.

21. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
    Announcer calling today's Wolfburg-Hertha match on FoxSportsWorld also repeated the Bobic rumor, as well as Bobic's denial of any contact.

22. Jacen McCullough

Nov 23, 1998
    Maryland

That lineup continues to ignore our major weakness. The Metros NEVER spread the field. Other teams clog the middle and all of a sudden, our offense stops. We don't need more strikers or central midfielders. Both Magee and Gaven drift to the center too much to be the wide mids, and Gaven doesn't play enough defense. We need at least one, top quality two-way wide midfielder (like Chung back in the day) to spread the other teams defense and make space for our perfectly capable strikers (Glenn, Taylor, Woly and Magee.)

23. Metros Striker10

Metros Striker10 New Member

Jul 7, 2001
    Planet Earth
    I think Bob has to watch DC's games from this season and see what Moreno's role was, because that's basically the type of player SGR is. He'll attack the goal, but he's more of a set up forward than an actual striker. That's probably why a lot of his goals in Colombia were long range shots...he stayed back and didn't cherry pick in front of the goal.

24. sccrhound

sccrhound Member

Oct 8, 2002
    CT
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So true. There were times this year where the game looked like a youth game. All the players were in 1/4 of the field.