NPSL coming to Cleveland

Discussion in 'NPSL' started by savetheforce, Aug 23, 2010.

1. savetheforce

savetheforce New Member

May 29, 2005
    Has anyone heard anything about a NPSL team in Cleveland?

2. CCSUltra

CCSUltra Member+

Nov 18, 2008
    Cleveland
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nope, I haven't heard a thing. I'm guessing you have?

From what I heard, outdoor soccer in CLE was dead. Well, it's not if you count the Internationals, but they're a joke...

3. savetheforce

savetheforce New Member

May 29, 2005
    Somebody had mentioned that there was interest of bringing a team back to Cleveland.

Ive never been to a Internationals PDL match. I heard they were a joke also.

I wonder if people would support a NPSL team if it were done right.

4. CCSUltra

CCSUltra Member+

Nov 18, 2008
    Cleveland
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think people would. I mean, we had good crowds in USL2. Look at how Chattanooga does in NPSL. If a Cleveland NPSL team is run right, I bet they could match CCS attendance numbers.

5. savetheforce

savetheforce New Member

May 29, 2005
    I guess in Chattanooga they were getting up to 4000 people a game. I would love to see a team in Cleveland.

6. CCSUltra

CCSUltra Member+

Nov 18, 2008
    Cleveland
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. savetheforce

savetheforce New Member

May 29, 2005
    Just checked it out, I hope they can do it. I will tell all my freinds to join the group, we need to support these guys.

8. Brook

Brook BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 13, 2001
    Cleveland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, so far it's you two.
    What the eff is NPSL?

9. CCSUltra

CCSUltra Member+

Nov 18, 2008
    Cleveland
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's an amateur league, without the age restrictions of PDL teams. It's recognized as the 4th division, alongside PDL.

10. ButlerBob

ButlerBob Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2001
    Evanston, IL
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Any chance that the orginal group from the CCS is behind the NPSL effort? Didn't they orginally want to start with a PDL team, but they couldn't get the Internationals to agree. This is just pure speculation on my part.

11. CCSUltra

CCSUltra Member+

Nov 18, 2008
    Cleveland
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I doubt it, I think they're focusing only on the charity they run.

But that's just my guess.

12. savetheforce

savetheforce New Member

May 29, 2005
    Heres the problem with the USL and its there own fault for being greedy.

When the internationals bought the PDL franchise in Cleveland, Internationals wanted to have rights from Cleveland to Canton and east to west of town. They also bought city rights to other major cities in the USA.

If your a potential owner that wants any kind of USL franchise in those territiories, you have to go to the USL and they have to contact the Internationals. At that point Intenationals will grant permission, like they did to the Stars or they will sell you a that territory for big bucks.

Stars had plans to put a pdl teal mens and womens team in akron/canton but the Internationals did not allow it.

My guess is that this group approached the USL and were told that Internationals were willing to sell them teritory close to Clevelad area that they had rights to. If they did not want to pay the money to the Internationals than the USL comes back with cities like Toledo, Sandusky and so on that dont belong to Internationals.

The whole thing with the USL is a joke, Internationals have a monoply and my guess would be that is why they went NPSL.

13. lmfoust

lmfoust Member

Aug 2, 2000
    Cleveland
    So you're saying that CI let those Dutch guys buy into Dayton only to see them self-promote to USL2, W-League and build a Dutch influenced academy system?

14. CCSUltra

CCSUltra Member+

Nov 18, 2008
    Cleveland
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not necessarily, unless the Internationals owned the PDL rights for the Dayton area.

The Internationals, however, do own the PDL rights for Cleveland and Akron, so they stopped the City Stars from operating as a PDL franchise.

Something has to be happening, this is on the facebook group:

15. savetheforce

savetheforce New Member

May 29, 2005
    As far as I know The internationals territoty ends somewhere around Mansfeild.

16. MLSinCleveland

MLSinCleveland Member+

Oct 12, 2006
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sounds good. I'd like to have something to watch other than Inter (Seriously, I was desperate enough to go to one of their matches this year - $12 [for 2 tickets] and 2 hours of my life I won't get back).

17. lmfoust

lmfoust Member

Aug 2, 2000
    Cleveland
    Goodness. I feel for you!

18. CCSFan

CCSFan New Member

Dec 23, 2009
    Club:
    Blackpool FC
    Internationals own territory containing almost all of NE Ohio: both sides of Cleveland, down to west of Mansfield, over to Youngstown on the east, and below Canton to the South.

19. CCSFan

CCSFan New Member

Dec 23, 2009
    Club:
    Blackpool FC
    NPSL is a good thing. Doesn't involve USL and you still get clubs owned by the NY Red Bulls and the Chicago Fire. The Arizona NPSL franchise even plays preseason matches against MLS clubs.

No one is going to bring the City Stars back as a USL-2 team; that interest has definitely died.

Ed, you used to work for the City Stars right? What do you know about potential ownership groups for this team?

20. CCSUltra

CCSUltra Member+

Nov 18, 2008
    Cleveland
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know absolutely nothing about the potential ownership groups for this new team. I learned some stuff after the fact about the guy who was interested in buying the City Stars and from what I heard, it's more of a good thing that he didn't get the team.

All I can figure out is that this new group is interested in bring a NPSL team to the CLE.

21. City Dave

City Dave Member

Jan 26, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not sure how this is possible considering that the team is non-existent now. There isn't much that could be worse than that.

1 person likes this.
  22. savetheforce

savetheforce New Member

May 29, 2005
    I hope we can get a outdoor team. I would love to see it played on a soccer feild (no grid iron lines). Where could they play any ideas?

23. savetheforce

savetheforce New Member

May 29, 2005
  24. CCSUltra

CCSUltra Member+

Nov 18, 2008
    Cleveland
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From what I heard about how the guy wanted to run the team, it wouldn't have lasted long anyway.

25. MLSinCleveland

MLSinCleveland Member+

Oct 12, 2006
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So it seems that USL had good reason to reject the sale.