Nick Garcia to Norway...

Discussion in 'Sporting Kansas City' started by the_cyclones, Nov 21, 2004.

1. the_cyclones

the_cyclones New Member

Jul 26, 2004
    The Cauldron
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just heard from a friend in Norway that Nick Garcia is on his way to Brann for at least a week... A trial basis. If the coach likes him then he'll get to stay. Not sure what all it means for nick's mls career. The team Brann is in Bergen.

2. swedcrip34

swedcrip34 New Member

Mar 17, 2004
    Nick's a free agent right now. Borderline MLS starters (I'm sorry but think that's where he's slipped) are doing well in Scandanavia (able to get work permits) - Dunseth, Brian West, etc. Steve Shak (was in A-League) has a job. IIRC some Seattle A-League guy was loaned there (not sure if Scandinavia). It pays more. That's the reality now in MLS but most are choosing to stay.

3. kcscsupporter

kcscsupporter Member+

Apr 17, 2002
    D17
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :eek: are you serious? i'd say he was one of the 10 best defenders in the league this year... and every year he's been in mls.

4. the_cyclones

the_cyclones New Member

Jul 26, 2004
    The Cauldron
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, apparantly they need a right back.

5. thurd

thurd New Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Melrose, MA
    I'm pretty sure you're referring to Leighton O'Brien.

6. swedcrip34

swedcrip34 New Member

Mar 17, 2004
    I'd say he was the 3rd best defender on KC at best. Maybe should have said bottom half of starters. It's just that a few years ago he looked on the verge of contributing to the USMNT team so maybe the expectations for improvement were unrealistic. MLS won't go out of its way to compete with Europe but I think they'd gladly have him back (~70-100k/yr, making about $83,163 now). Probably not offering the raise he would have expected a couple years ago. Conrad's one of the top 5 defenders. Esky's goal around Nick didn't look good.

7. swedcrip34

swedcrip34 New Member

Mar 17, 2004
    thanks. heard they want him back in seattle now. my point was that guys that aren't getting good offers in MLS are able to get decent work over there

8. Unorthodox Yank

Feb 27, 2001
    Constant Flux
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I dont care what anyone else says, Losing Garcia would really, really suck for KC.

That said, if this move launches his career up another level, i'm all for it.

Good luck, Nick.

9. Own Goal Hat-Trick

Jul 28, 1999
    ColoRADo
    a work permit for americans in scandinavia isnt that hard to come by.

so long as you get a company to sponsor you (the team), and it can be proven that you would be making enough to not live in poverty, youre granted a work permit.

also, bergen is a pretty cool city and in a beautiful part of norway.

itd sure be hard to refuse a contract to play in bergen and look at fjords and beautiful women all day than go back to KC. although, i dunno, maybe hell miss BBQ or something.

10. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought that once Garica moved back to CB where he's played a lot better, he's been one of the better defenders in the league. He kinda fell off the nats radar because he had a bad season and he was moved away from marking back, which is the position he plays the best.

On Esky's goal, I've said this before and I'll say it again, I think he was expecting help from Khari who was only 3-5 feet away. Khari never came to help, and Nick had given Esky too much space on that side.

11. ChrisE

ChrisE Member

Jul 1, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    Dunseth, Shak, and O'brien were in the Swedish second division, however - and Shak left pretty early into the season.

Brann are one of the better teams in the Norwegian league - 3rd last year, 6th the year before. This is a significantly harder team to catch onto than Fredrikstad or Bodens BK. However, I also think it's clear that Garcia is better than the other players listed (save, maybe West), and if he's willing to play overseas, he shouldn't have trouble finding someplace where he do well.

12. swedcrip34

swedcrip34 New Member

Mar 17, 2004
    agreed, my point just was that if those guys can earn a living over there, Garcia won't have any problem finding a team. and that they'll probably offer more than MLS can (like West)

13. Tyler66

Tyler66 New Member

Apr 22, 2004
    Massachusetts
    crap, this sucks. There's already the possibility of losing Zavagnin and now Garcia could go. I bet he could do good there, so I'm getting worried.

14. Hexenmeister

Hexenmeister Member

Aug 9, 2000
    Kearney, MO
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Interesting. When you hear of players moving to play in Europe, Norway is not usually the first country that comes to mind.

15. KCWizFan#3

KCWizFan#3 New Member

Aug 7, 2004
    Overland Park
    We can't lose Nick....have the wizards not renegotiated his contract yet....or are they waiting for the super draft?

16. ChrisE

ChrisE Member

Jul 1, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    Give it time. As the ability of the average MLS player continues to improve, I suspect we'll see more and more players looking at moving to Scandanavia (and the 2. Bundesliga, and Holland, and Belgium...) - they pay better than MLS, and for players that aren't really in the national team plans, there's more of an opportunity to move to bigger European clubs as well.

17. kcscsupporter

kcscsupporter Member+

Apr 17, 2002
    D17
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    this would really blow scrotum if he does leave. although, i still think we'd have a good backline in conrad, thomas, zotinca, and burciaga. losing zags is almost irreplaceable.

18. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly, while it would suck majorly to lose Nick, we still have Shavar who will have an offseason to get ready. We'll still be solid in the back though. It will just suck losing Nick

19. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Slipped? With Bocanegra gone, he's the best man-marker in MLS.

20. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Exactly how many KC games did you see last season?

21. swedcrip34

swedcrip34 New Member

Mar 17, 2004
    I exaggerated too much above saying borderline starter. When he was getting UMSNT call-ups a while back I was thinking he'd be a strong candidate for defender of the year about now. I haven't watched him closely enough this year except the playoffs to judge him as harshly as I did. But reading here it sounds like he's disappointed a little and isn't as good as Conrad (though Conrad being among the best 3-4 in the league). Rather than watching him play, I'm more forming an opinion based on his lack of call-ups, not yet getting offers from clubs in better Euro leagues, and MLS not pushing harder to get him re-signed already. So slipped was probably not the best word, meant more that he's not progressing as hoped? KC's not exactly on ESPN2 every week and from the Yahoo games I watched I rarely noticed him (which maybe is a good thing for a defender).

Where would you rank him among MLS defenders?

22. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well as Andy said, and I agree, he's one of the best man marking backs in MLS. In the playoffs he held both Landon and Ruiz in check. Disguard the first San Jose game, because Landon was more midfield and not forward, leaving him out of Nick's responsibility. Also for another example, look at how bad Landon torched us on ESPN2 the first time we were on there, for two goals. Look at the games after that when Landon was up top and Nick was moved into the center of the defense. Nick's move into the middle was a main reason we allowed only like 6 goals in the last 10 games, 5 of them coming in two.

23. swedcrip34

swedcrip34 New Member

Mar 17, 2004
    was typing my reply before this post

I saw all the ESPN2 games I think (was that 1?)

all the playoff games

the first half of the season I watched most all of the Yahoo games, but maybe more listed than watched. second half, maybe half the Yahoo games. I think KC was one of the teams that sometimes didn't have the game on Yahoo.

my guess, 15. rarely if ever did I watch to see how Garcia was doing. I remember him being a little slow a few times this season.

I admit most of my opinion of him is based on what posters here say and what I've inferred as stated above. I'd say I view him as a decent MLS player but not an all-star. Fault him for that crucial Esky goal. Big games count.

24. swedcrip34

swedcrip34 New Member

Mar 17, 2004
    in general as a defender?

better than Conrad? Zotinca?

top 5 in the league? top 10? worse? considering that outside back is probably the worse position in MLS in terms of talent, compare him to the following central defenders

CHI
    Curtin & Brown (I'd say better though maybe on par with Curtin)

CLB
    Fraser (& Sanneh if 4 in the back) - Fraser was DOTY though hasn't impressed me, but I'll admit I never notice him (a good thing for a defender)

DC
    Nelsen (I'd say worse) & Petke (even)

MET
    Parke & Pope (better than Pope this year, but not usually. I think Parke may be more talented)

NE
    John & Pierce (I'd say even)

COL
    Kotschau & Borchers (I'd say even with Borchers, a little better than Kotschau)

DAL
    Gibbs (worse), Behncke (even), Jolley (worse)

LA
    Suarez (better), Hong (better), Marshall (worse), Califf (even)

SJ
    Agoos, Dayak, Robinson (probably better than all 3, for a while I thought Robinson would be real good - not so sure now)

that's my opinion