My favourite goal EVER scored (you won't ever see this again in football)

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by DerMongerer, Nov 20, 2004.

1. When Hell Unfreezes

Jan 8, 2004
    London
    Watch it very closely, you'll see that Madonna doesn't even have a shot, as the ball is whipped off her toes by Butcher!

2. DerMongerer

DerMongerer Member

Jun 5, 2004
    That was EXACTLY my point when I said this was my favourite. What are the odds of ever seeing 2 teamates getting the timing right to half volley the ball to one another to score like that again? And not to mention off of a scissors kick. The odds of getting that perfectly right. No disrespect to other great goals meant whatsoever, but I truly believe I've never since a goal even remotely related to this on a football field before or since. All other great goals that I've heard or seen mentioned, I've seen duplicated to some degree on a football field.

Like you said, I think you could go out on a football field and try this, and possibly never get it right for the rest of your life. And Negete/Sanchez managed to pull this off in the midst of defenders.

3. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    My favorite play ever has to be the fake that Pele put on Mazurkiewitz at the 1970 World Cup. It's too bad he couldn't finish it, because it would have been the greatest goal of all time. First, because he didn't touch the ball, which goes against every instinct a player has when facing the goalie on a one-on-one. Second, because he managed to completely fake out one of the great goalkeepers of all time and one who was particularly good at that type of one-on-one situations.

4. Soju Gorae

Soju Gorae New Member

Nice goal.

You should also take a ganders at Van der Vaart's scorpion goal if you like goals like that. I've never seen anythingl like it in my life. It was a once in a lifetime goal for sure. I don't think he will be able to do something like that again nor will there be a player who will score a goal like that in my lifetime. It was spontaneous and completely improvised where Van der Vaart adapted out of his awkward position in an instant to sink that goal.

If I'm wrong and another player did score a goal similar to that, then pretty please, post the clip.

5. Power_of_foot

Power_of_foot Red Card

May 28, 2004
  6. Power_of_foot

Power_of_foot Red Card

May 28, 2004
    Those kinds of goals aren't rare.
    But most of the time, RVN scores by header or by single touch pass

7. Real Ray

Real Ray Member

May 1, 2000
    Cincinnati, OH
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One of my favorite goals of all time was scored by Nayim in the 1995 European Cup Winners Cup Final - Real Zaragoza vs. Arsenal. It was past the 120th minute - deep into exta time injury time and the scores locked at 1-1 when Nayim, with the last kick of the match, somehow hit the ball from wide out on virtually the halfway line into the sky, over David Seamen and just under the crossbar to win the game for Zaragoza with the last kick of the match. To make it even more ironic, Nayim was a former Tottenham Hotspur player. No idea what happened to him after that but that goal was certainly one of my all time faves.

9. When Hell Unfreezes

Jan 8, 2004
    London
  10. wanderingpress

Apr 6, 2001
    Charlotte, NC
    Club:
    Coritiba FBC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    lovely discussion.

how about rivaldo's chest-bike-slam in '01 (i think) to put barca on top and in the CL.

11. Soju Gorae

Soju Gorae New Member

You should check out Gudjohnsen's no-trap overhead kick goal against Leeds about 2 seasons ago. The guy didn't even trap the ball with his chest as Rivaldo did and took a whack at it non-stop with an overhead from a right-wing cross.

12. wanderingpress

Apr 6, 2001
    Charlotte, NC
    Club:
    Coritiba FBC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. Rommul

Rommul Member

Aug 26, 2003
    NYC
    Go back and watch the Dario goal and look at the way the player who made the final pass controlled before making the pass.

So what? Just because you see a lot of cheap long runs doesn't mean that Diegos goal is any less special.

14. nsamsarmy

nsamsarmy New Member

Apr 1, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Mine was Paul Gascoigne's goal against Scotland in Euro '96. He flicks the ball from behind him over a defender and volleys it before it hits the ground past the keeper. It was absolutely magic.

15. Rommul

Rommul Member

Aug 26, 2003
    NYC
    A player from PSG scored one like that in Champions League this year.

16. DerMongerer

DerMongerer Member

Jun 5, 2004
    1. Nevertheless I've seen goals like that scored before. The goal I like the best I haven't seen on a football field before. Again, it is my personal preference. If you have goals you find better, then hey more power to you.
    My reason for this thread is that I think the goal is unknown by many, and I'd like it to get the credit I feel it deserves. I wasn't necessarily trying to detract from other great goals.

2. Cheap long runs? Again the point I was making, I think the rarer that you see some variation of a goal, the more special it is, and more unlikely you'll ever see it again. Van Basten 88 for example comes to mind. And Negrete's
    in WC1986.

I've never implied that Diego's goal "isn't" special, I've merely implied that individual run goals are commonplace in football, but goals involving 2 or more
    teammates like the one I've posted in my personal opinion are more difficult
    to pull off.