Which is more American?

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by tcmahoney, Nov 19, 2004.

1. tcmahoney

tcmahoney New Member

Feb 14, 1999
    Metronatural
    Since another thread is veering off topic, I thought it would be good to give this its own thread.

State your case.

2. Danks81

Danks81 Member

May 18, 2003
    Philadelphia
    This question is flawed as you cannot categorically state whether or not one vehicle is "made" in a country without providing figures for domestic content of the vehicle in regards to the regulations that govern production.

However in light of this, the answer is clearly an American car assembled overseas. All else being equal, Americans have more control over the capital accumulated from an American car assembled overseas than a foreign car assembled here.

3. monop_poly

monop_poly Member

May 17, 2002
    Chicago
    I agree with you, but this only supports the back-office jobs of Americans in corporate HQ.

4. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    What is more American?

a) A car which runs on gasoline, which may come from domestic or imported oil.

b) A car which runs on solar energy.

I wonder, is solar energy considered to be imported? Because it comes from the sun and the sun is not in America, right?

5. BudWiser

BudWiser New Member

Jul 17, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    This question simplifies everything but it's a good one IMO.....

I picked MADE IN THE USA

I'll choose American middle class income and exports over American CEO income and imports

Problem is, in genereal, "W"'s administration is working towards #2, which is a big reason why this economy's going downhill IMO

6. BudWiser

BudWiser New Member

Jul 17, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Technically I guess you could say the sun is being used and it's energy is being manufactured in the US.

So I pick b). Would result in less dependence on overseas oil.

7. stopper4

stopper4 Member

Jan 24, 2000
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From Greenspan thread.

My old '93 Camry was at least assembled in Michigan. I confess I don't know if it was 'made' or assembled, but I'll take your word for it.

My new(er) car is a Hyundai. Don't hate me because I'm 'cost conscious'.

8. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Where are the options for apple pie and tax cuts?

9. Claymore

Claymore Member

Jul 9, 2000
    Montgomery Vlg, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I drive a Saab, a car made in Sweden by a division of GM, from parts sourced all over the world.

10. bmurphyfl

bmurphyfl Member

Jun 10, 2000
    VT
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To me, it depends on where the parts were made. If the steel was processed in the US, the parts made in the US, shipped to Mexico, assembled in Mexico, sold in the US with profits going to a US-based company, I'd call it an American car rather than a Mexican car.

I think the Big Three see it the same way because, as a vendor to all three of them, we are only allowed to park cars with their logos on them in their parking lots. You can park a foreign-assembled Dodge in any of their lots but if you are driving an Ohio-made Honda, you'll have a long walk on your hands.

I remember the Machinists Union having the same policy in Northern VA when I worked down there.

11. monop_poly

monop_poly Member

May 17, 2002
    Chicago
    The last two posts are all anyone needs to know.

12. BudWiser

BudWiser New Member

Jul 17, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Maybe so, but they don't answer the question. You only have 2 choices under this we-all-know-it-is-simplified scenario

13. Own Goal Hat-Trick

Jul 28, 1999
    ColoRADo
    not to threadjack... but a similar question is...

whats more american:

giving up personal rights and freedoms to "fight" terrorism.

keeping personal rights and freedoms, cause, god dammit, im an american and thats what america is, the land of the free.

14. Metroweenie

Metroweenie New Member

Aug 15, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    Not everyone who works in an office is a CEO.

15. Coach_McGuirk

Coach_McGuirk New Member

Apr 30, 2002
    Between the Pipes
    I went "Foreign Car made in the USA" because the workers and their salaries stay in the US, the companies have made big investments into these plants, and the fact that a factory is there increases the tax base (although I know that they get big initial tax breaks from bot the state and cit level). Isn't there also a law that requires any vehicles made here in the USA to contain over "X"% US parts in order for the car to be sold as "made in the USA"?

What ere there, 5 foreign automakers who build some cars here? Honda, Toyota, Nissan, BMW, and (not for very much longer) Mitsubishi?

16. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I used to drive a Saab but quit, not out of patriotism but because Click and Clack are right when they say "Where there's smoke, there's a Saab."

edit: for what it's worth, when I bought my Saab-replacing Honda Civic I asked if it had been made in the States before I bought it.

17. 96Squig

96Squig Member

Feb 4, 2004
    Hanover
    Club:
    Hannover 96
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Isn't the Mercedes M-series (SUV) built in the US, too?
    VW builds big in Mexico as far as I know (Jetta and New Beetle afaik)

18. dreamer

dreamer Member

Aug 4, 2004

As soon as we figure out how to tax it.

19. Lithium858

Lithium858 Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Baton Rouge
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That made me laugh :D

20. Danks81

Danks81 Member

May 18, 2003
    Philadelphia
    Not necessarily. If all the parts of the M-class are built abroad, and it is merely assembled in the United States, it is not built here. It is assembled. To gauge whether or not a car is considered domestically built you must go by domestic content. IIRC, domestic content takes into account US/Canadian parts and value added. Either 70% or 75% is the minimum amount of domestic content a vehicle must possess to be considered built here.