Adu will be our right midfielder in Germany

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by dd601, Nov 18, 2004.

1. dd601

dd601 Member

Oct 21, 2004
    Howard

JOB Gooch Gibbs Spector

Reyna

Adu Beasley

Gaven

EJ Donovan

2. CbR

CbR Member

Nov 10, 2000
    Bergen County NJ
    when will the man in the blue turban arrive?

3. spidergoose

spidergoose Member

Nov 2, 2004
    Annapolis
    Club:
    DC United
    [dude]Yeah, well that's just, like, your opinion, man. [/dude]

4. MFRONE

MFRONE Member+

Jul 24, 2000
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    You left out Chad Marshall. If it wasn't for an injury he would have played tonight.

5. Sanguine

Sanguine Member

Jul 4, 2003
    Reston, VA
    If that's our lineup in Germany, we'll go out 32nd again.

6. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
    I happen to agree that Adu will be playing RM in Germany.

-----Johnson-----Twellman
    -DMB--------LD-----------Adu
    ------JOB---------Spector
    --Boca------Gooch-----Cherundolo
    --------------?

7. juventino3

juventino3 Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Alexandria, VA
    Adu's a lefty, so I doubt you will ever see him starting on the right. I think Freddie's future is more as a central attacking midfielder. Gaven and Mapp are more effective wing players than Adu at this point.

8. Jonez

Jonez New Member

Aug 4, 2004
    Boston
  9. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I was more optimistic about Adu making the WC '06 squad before I saw him play. :)

He has the footskills and athleticism, yes. More than yes. But he's deficient in several key attributes that distinguish international from MLS competition -- work rate, speed of play, team orientation.

In MLS, he's fairly effective at being a human highlights show. Doesn't need to play defense, doesn't need to pay much attention to the teammates, just picks his spots and is brilliant 2/3 times per game - a task made easier by the fact that he's usually coming off the bench fresh against tired opposition.

I think that he's a long ways off from being able to get the job done internationally.

10. Calexico77

Calexico77 Member

Sep 19, 2003
    Mid-City LA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No. He won't. He's not there yet, and he'll embarrass himself. And he most certainly will not be playing on the right. Sheesh. He MIGHT be called to the team. MAYBE. But he'll see little playing time. He's just not that good yet.

11. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Prediction: Freedy Adu won't even be CAPPED by WC06 much less our starting right midfielder.

12. Onionsack

Onionsack BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 21, 2003
    New York City
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I always find it ammusing that everyone blindly assumes O'Brien will be starting in Germany much less on the roster. I also like how you made him a rightback.

As for Adu..we better hope he isn't the best RM by the time 06 rolls around.

13. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    give the man his prize.

also, I think it's cute how some people still think twellman has a future with the national team. it makes me giggle. :)

14. Beppe

Beppe BigSoccer Yellow Card

Aug 29, 2004
    Milano
    Freddy needs to step up a couple of notches before he can be considered for the US national team. He has a year and a half to grow at least two inches and score 16 goals next year in the MLS and lead the scoring in MLS in 2006 to be considered.

15. RUUDVN

RUUDVN BigSoccer Yellow Card

Sep 3, 2004
    NYC
    Bruce always put one tall guy up top.

16. elsoulman

elsoulman New Member

Sep 19, 2004
    One thing to keep in mind with younger players is they normally get pushed around a lot when playing with older players and also don't tend to show the work rate, speed of play, and team orientation attributes required when playing at a higher level. Adu's team orientation has improved drastically over his first year as has his ability to not get pushed off the ball nearly so easy (still to flimsy for me, but he'll get there with time), but his work rate and speed of play have not. I would hope those pick up next season, as he gets more used to playing at this level (much faster game than high school soccer and even U-16). If his growth is exponential next season in his second year in the league, and it certainly could be, then he MIGHT make the team. I certainly wouldn't count him out, but he has a long way to go to be at a level to help the nat's.

17. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
    Is LD 5'10"? Did LD score 16 goals in MLS this year?

18. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
    Picking the strikers this far out is a crapshoot but he impresses me more right now than any other striker that isn't a Grown Ass Man.

19. pokemoncards

pokemoncards New Member

Aug 17, 2003
    if he continues to improve the way hes been improving these last few months he has a good chance

20. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And EJ is 6' tall.

21. DaMa

DaMa Member

Jun 17, 2002
    New York

Based on what? He wasnt one of the top 2 American strikers in MLS this year... he didnt do anything outside of one assist for the USMNT this year...

22. Jegao Paraiba

Jegao Paraiba Member

Aug 6, 2004
    Morgantown, WV
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Barring disaster, I would expect that he will at least get the '94 Ronaldo and '02 Kaka treatment.
    It's impossible to tell right now if he will be able to contribute on the largest of all stages a mere 19 months from now.
    But (if things continue on their current trajectory) I think it would be a serious mistake not to prepare some bench space for him. Immerse him in the atmosphere. Let him feel it. Let it humble him. Let him be angry about not playing. Then release the kraken on the rest of the world in 2010.

23. Walter3000

Walter3000 Member+

Apr 8, 2004
    gainesville, Florida
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

we might not need a rm if we go with a box midfield. if we need one, chris klein or eddie gaven

24. swilso01

swilso01 Member

Feb 25, 2004
    Philly

I agree, if you watched him with DCU this season he was most successful in the middle, given freedom to run. His game is not suited for wing play. Plus, the right foot is relatively unproven on crosses.

25. elconejito

elconejito Member

Dec 24, 2002
    Where Homer Lives
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    freddy showed some major league improvement this year, much like gaven showed the year b4 (i think he took a step back this year). Granted it was in limited minutes, but by the end of the season he was having an *influence* on games he played in, which is the mark of a great player.

I think if he continues to improve at the rate he has (which is not certain), then he'll get a callup to a camp and maybe a cap sometime next year (like gaven did this year). We'll see from there how he handles the change of pace/pressure.

I dont see any need to rush him along as US soccer is doing fine right now without him. But you can never have too many *game-changing* players on the field at one time. Right now I think LD is the only US player that fits that description. EJ is starting to show he can do that too, but needs to find some consistency. Beasley is kinda there, but i think a notch or two below.

Just looking at "potential", what a powerhouse of offense could the US be with a midfield of beasley - adu - donovan behind EJ? Just speed alone would let them run by any defense in CONCACAF, and probably most defenses worldwide