World Futsal Championship [R]

Discussion in 'Pro Indoor Soccer' started by SueB, Nov 16, 2004.

1. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    World Futsal Championship [R] - no results visible before TV broadcast

The FIFA World Futsal Championship begins this Sunday in Chinese Taipei (Taiwan). I found a really old thread about the draw but figured the tournament itself deserves its own thread.

Here is FIFA's official home page of the tournament:

http://www.fifa.com/en/comp/index/0,2442,Futsal2004,00.html?comp=Futsal&year=2004

The groups are:

Group A:
    Chinese Taipei
    Egypt
    Spain
    Ukraine

Group B:
    Australia
    Brazil
    Czech Republic
    Thailand

Group C:
    Italy
    Japan
    Paraguay
    USA

Group D:
    Argentina
    Cuba
    Iran
    Portugal

There have been four previous editions, with Brazil winning the first three and Spain the most recent one four years ago. The USA has done well in this competition, finishing third in 1989 and second in 1992. But they failed to get out of their group in 1996 and did not even qualify in 2000.

Here is the USA team, coached by Keith Tozer:

Scott Hileman - Baltimore Blast
    Andy Guastaferro - Chicago Storm
    Lee Tschantret - Baltimore Blast
    Jamar Beasley - Kansas City Comets
    Todd Dusosky - Milwaukee Wave
    Sean Bowers - San Diego Sockers
    Pat White - Milwauke Wave
    Johnny Torres - Milwaukee Wave
    Greg Howes - Milwaukee Wave
    John Ball - Cleveland Force
    Steve Butcher - San Diego Sockers
    Brett Phillips - St. Louis Steamers
    Joel Shanker - Philadelphia Kixx
    Pat Morris - Philadelphia Kixx

The US opens play vs European champions Italy Sunday Nov 21 at 18:00 local time, which is 6 am Eastern Standard Time.

2. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Any TV for this?

3. simplysoccerBR

simplysoccerBR New Member

Feb 13, 2004
    Curitiba
    In the last friendly before the cup, Brazil beat Taiwan by 38x0. I've never heard of such an incredible score, so I think they really have a chance on winning this (as always :) )

4. persiantiger

persiantiger Guest

In the last tournement held before the games IRan won it and Brazil finished 2nd. Go mighty Iran go! The cup is ours this year baby!
    www.futsalplanet.com
    we are leading the polls too :p

5. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    PersianTiger, I see you started another thread on the tournament in the FIFA forum. I was going to keep track of the whole thing here, but since this forum is in the "USA" section, I guess we can just gear this one to the progress US team (which I was sort of doing already) and use that one as the main thread about the tournament.

6. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    Yes! It looks like Galavision will be showing selected games from this tournament on same-day delay, including the USA's three group games.

Here is the TV schedule for the USA:

Sunday Nov 21 Italy vs US - 8 pm Eastern
    Tuesday Nov 23 Italy vs Paraguay - 10 pm Eastern/Pacific
    Thursday Nov 15 Italy vs Japan - 10 pm Eastern/Pacific

Full schedule is at www.soccertv.com

7. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Uh, that looks like Italy's schedule.

8. MT mojo

MT mojo New Member

Apr 23, 2004
    Montana
    After further review, I do believe you are, indeed, correct.

9. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    Oops, how embarrassing. :eek: I hope you'll please excuse me for being Italo-centric since I mod that board. Sorry about that. Really, it IS the USA games that are being shown. Simply replace "Italy" with "USA". In fact, I'll do that here:

Sunday Nov 21 Italy vs US - 8 pm Eastern
    Tuesday Nov 23 US vs Paraguay - 10 pm Eastern/Pacific
    Thursday Nov 15 US vs Japan - 10 pm Eastern/Pacific

10. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Thanks, Sue, I figured as much.

Thank you for posting the times of the US games. I'll be setting the TiVo now, that means perhaps not recording The Wire or Arreseted Development. Uh oh, something's gonna have to give. I guess I'll watch The Wire and/or set TiVo to record it when it's re-shown.

11. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    Result of USA's first match:-

US Goals: Torres, Dusosky, Morris. It was tied at 2 early in the second half and still only 4-3 with 10 minutes left, but Italy got the last two goals to pull away.

12. Damon

Damon Member

Jul 1, 2001
    Evansville, IN, USA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Help! Anyone planning on recording any of the USA games on DVD? I would love to have a copy of as many games that I can get. Perhaps we could work out a small fee, I can pay shipping, etc.
    Can anyone help me out?

13. ButlerBob

ButlerBob Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2001
    Evanston, IL
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Hey, that's neat what you did with the result. I'm watching the game now. Even though I know the result, it's still a good game to watch. Also, I think that Italy's goalkeeper is the answer to the question "who ate all the pies". It gives me hope that even I could be on somebody's national team. ;)

14. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    Come on US ! Beat Italia !!!

15. purojogo

purojogo Member

Sep 23, 2001
    US/Peru home
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    US put up a valiant effort

16. Zitor

Zitor New Member

Nov 21, 2004
    Chicago
  17. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Good golly, was that guy fat! I mean, I'm not gonna be modeling underwhere anytime soon, but at least I can see my feet when I stand up.

This guy made Meola look like Justin Mapp and Thornton look like DeMarcus Beasley. I mean, he looked like those pictures of when Maradona squeezes into a jersey for a testimonial these days. I was startled at how fat he was.

Hate to say it, but when a "world championship" features a lard-ass guy playing in it, it says a lot about the caliber of players involved and how serious the country takes it. And, we lost to this team!

I only watched the first half but the difference in that half appeared to be that Italy's shots from distance were on frame whereas ours sailed wide, as if lard-ass got into our guys' heads and they figured he was so big they couldn't get past him so they aimed for the corners and missed.

Rest of the play seemed pretty even but as I said, I didn't watch the second half - The Wire came on and you gotta have your priorities straight!

Also, the US seemed to be having trouble with the restarts when the ball went out of bounds. Several times they appeared to get called for an illegal re-start. Honestly, I can't tell you what happened because my Spanish sucks and I don't know the Futsal rules, but the US would have the ball for a restart and several times the ref would blow the whistle as the US was starting to kick the ball in and the kick-in would be awarded to Italy. Not really sure what was going on there, but I don't think the US team was, either.

Did I mention the Italian GK was fat? How fat was he? Well, let's just say that when he stands around the goal, he stands AROUND the goal!

18. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    Italy is the current world #1 and European champions, so I suppose they actually do take the game seriously. Their keeper, Angelini, has been generously listed at only 105k for this tournament although I found another site which says 113 kg - that's somewhere between 230-250 lbs!!! And yes, his "bulky" stature (as they put it kindly at the UEFA website) seems to be a plus because he covers a lot of the goal. But he must not be a statue-like blob or he truly couldn't play at this level.

[​IMG]

Now, as to whether you want to watch a sport which allows an "athlete" shaped like this to participate at a top level, that's obviously up to you. :)

19. illuminatus

illuminatus New Member

Mar 29, 2004
    Malaysia
    I think his size could be quite an asset... considering how few diving saves are made. As long as his reflexes are good... and his arms aren't too heavy to lift. ;)

20. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    I think the problem with the kick-ins was they were being called for stepping on the line as they kicked. It happened a couple times to both teams, leading me to believe not all refs call it this closely (a la foul throws in outdoor). I play rec futsal and had a ref once who was a stickler about this, and it's surprisingly difficult to kick a ball in without stepping on the line - it's such an ingrained habit to step right beside the ball as you kick it.

21. Zitor

Zitor New Member

Nov 21, 2004
    Chicago
    Italy - Japan

[RESULT]italy 5 japan 0 (FIRST HALF)[/RESULT]

USA - PARAGUAY
    [RESULT]USA 3 PARAGUAY 1 (still playing)[/RESULT]

I know this is buried deep too far for most of all to care. But hey it's a FIFA tourney and good games are going on.

22. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    Hi, Zitor - First of all, welcome to BigSoccer. I'm not a moderator of the indoor board, but just in case some casual fan happens along who doesn't know when these games are being played, let me suggest that you use the "RESULT" tags for the USA-Paraguay game, at least until its Galavision telecast tonight.

Just enclose the score in [R E S U L T] [ / R E S U L T] (but omitting the spaces). The effect is this:-

[RESULT]USA 1 PARAGUAY 0 (FIRST HALF)[/RESULT]

And, by the way, there is also a thread under the FIFA board here:

https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=136133

23. Zitor

Zitor New Member

Nov 21, 2004
    Chicago
    Thanks

24. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    Final result of US game:

[result]USA 3 Paraguay 1

Goals from White, Tschantret, and Torres.

Great result! This was the crucial match. Now a win over Japan and we should be through.
    [/result]