Best Goal Scorers of the 20th Century

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by Gregoriak, Nov 16, 2004.

1. Gustav

Gustav Member

Nov 14, 2004
    here & there
    Where's Maradona in all of this? was he such a poor goalscorer?

2. Walter3000

Walter3000 Member+

Apr 8, 2004
    gainesville, Florida
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    137 goals in 160 games for chelsea.

3. persiantiger

persiantiger Guest

I dunno about league goals but if we are talking about national goals it has to be Ali daie hands down.

Just got named the world's top scorer of 2004 at the age of 37.

Iran's Daie is the only man to have scored more than 100 national goals with 102 goals. The closest to daie's record is puskas with 83 or 87 not sure. Pele is 3rd with 78.

I don't care if most of his goals where against crappy teams, the fact is the man is a finisher, if the teams were so crappy how come no one else in the region and in the world could score on those teams like daie. Not many players can for example score 4 goals against a team like korea in 1 game. The amazing thing about daie is he just started playing soccer when he was 24! His first national game was in 93, so he scored these many goals in just 11 years.
    Go sultan daie, 100+ and counting :p

4. jessicaone60

jessicaone60 New Member

Nov 17, 2004
    minto
    i noticed u left off harry kewell why did someone do something to shameful so cruel :mad:

5. jessicaone60

jessicaone60 New Member

Nov 17, 2004
    minto
    top ten teams of 2004

liverpool
    brazil
    australia
    barcelona
    manchester utd
    newcastle
    manchester city
    france
    spain
    usa :)

6. lanman

lanman BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 30, 2002
    That's his league record which is included in the original total. I was looking for his record in cup competitions.

7. Gregoriak

Gregoriak BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 27, 2002
    Munich
    Let`s assume he scored 32 FA Cup goals, plus the other 14 you found, his total rises from 410 to 456, which assures him a place in the top 10 (so far).

Greaves' average total per season rises from 29.3 to 32.6! This places him at third place behind Müller and Pelé.

That story about the dog must be one of the funniest World Cup anecdotes I ever heard of, probably the funniest! Thanks for sharing.

8. Gregoriak

Gregoriak BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 27, 2002
    Munich

How many goals did he score in competitive league football? And how many times did he score in Cup competitions?

Just had a look against which teams he scored mostly against (apart from the 4 against S Korea):

5 goals against Sri Lanka in Tehran.
    4 goals against Nepal in Tehran.
    4 goals against Guam in Tabriz.
    3 goals against Lebanon in Tehran.