USA roster finally!

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by scaryice, Nov 12, 2004.

1. scaryice

scaryice Member

Jan 25, 2001
    http://www.socceramerica.com/article.asp?Art_ID=562135283

GOALKEEPERS -- Jon Busch (Columbus), Joe Cannon (Colorado), Matt Reis (New England), Kasey Keller (Tottenham).

DEFENDERS -- Ryan Suarez (Los Angeles), Jonathan Spector (Manchester City), Dan Califf (Los Angeles), Chris Albright (Los Angeles), Oguchi Oneywu (Standard Liege).

MIDFIELDERS -- Pablo Mastroeni (Colorado), Bobby Convey (Reading), Brian Mullan (San Jose), Clint Dempsey (New England), Steve Ralston (New England), Ramiro Corrales (San Jose), Ricardo Clark (MetroStars), Landon Donovan (San Jose), Kyle Martino (Columbus).

FORWARDS -- Eddie Johnson (Dallas), Brian Ching (San Jose), Brian McBride (Fulham), Jeff Cunningham (Columbus).

2. B Rock

B Rock Member

Oct 7, 2004
    Suarez, Califf, and Albright before Russell and Curtin?
    Ramiro Corrales before Eddie Gaven?
    Why McBride?
    Cunningham over Buddle?
    Where's Brian West?

Just my opening questions, all in all not as experimental as I'd hoped. Suarez has regressed significantly from when he was promising in Dallas. Califf has gotten a sniff before, same with Albright. Cunningham does nothing for me, nor do Mullan or Ralston. Why not Mapp? I guess thats all I got. Not a shocking list, but certainly a few I didn't see coming. Hopefully Gooch and Spector get starts.

Wilt said there were two Fire players called in so I question the validity of this list.

3. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A few surprises there, definitely.

Busch, Califf, Suarez, Corrales... some guys are getting rewarded for good seasons, others getting camp experience, almost certainly.

But nonetheless, should be an interesting first eleven, to be considered once the cuts from camp are made.

-------------Ching--------------------Johnson----------------------

------------------------Donovan-----------------------------------

------Ralston------------------------------------------Mullan------

---------------------Clark/Mastroeni-------------------------------

-----Albright---------"Gooch"------------Spector--------Convey----

--------------------------any of the four GK's----------------------

Hard not to include Kyle Martino at this point, but the midfield seems pretty loaded... just as hard to include him, really. Just the victim of a numbers game, IMHO.

The first eleven's a bit spotty at present, and I'm sure the rest of you will have no problems improving upon that. :)

4. swedcrip34

swedcrip34 New Member

Mar 17, 2004
    Spector - Manchester City?

Does this mean SJ has to protect Corrales in the expansion draft? I mean he's a nat now.

Too bad West couldn't make it. Could've seen him Cunningham and McBride fight it out for 2 striker spots, maybe with Martino in the mix. Where's Buddle?

The defense looks very experimental. Jamaica can't be too upset. We're definitely not going all out to put them away. Though there are some talented young players on the list (some not so much).

5. swedcrip34

swedcrip34 New Member

Mar 17, 2004
    West is injured right?

Sampson and Andrulis bribed Arena?

Looks like Kenny Arena almost made the cut.

Too bad the KC & DC players don't have a shot.

If MLS had a third level all star game, I think most all these guys would have at least made it, well maybe not.

6. scaryice

scaryice Member

Jan 25, 2001
    West is hurt, I think Russell might be too. No Eddie Pope either, and I thought Cory Gibbs was supposed to be there. I would expect McBride to start since they flew him in for this, as well as Convey and Keller.

Starting Lineup:

Keller
    Convey
    Spector
    Onyewu
    Albright
    Mastroeni
    Dempsey?
    Ralston
    Donovan
    Johnson
    McBride

7. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Soccer America can be used as a trusted source for something like this-- although Ridge Mahoney himself did qualify this in the linked article as being an "unofficial" set of players due to arrive in camp over the next few days or thereabouts.

8. scaryice

scaryice Member

Jan 25, 2001
    He probably meant Williams and Ralph.

9. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Gibbs in some sort of card-related trouble in the WCQ's? If so, I can the risk averted by not bringing him in.

10. Deuteriumoxide

May 27, 2003
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

:eek:
    What an Ugly UGLY roster. Who the hell are the starting centerbacks going to be? I mean I know the game doesn't really matter but come on... Suarez and Califf? Ryan Suarez isn't fast or smart enough to play against John Wolyniec and Cornell Glen let alone Jamaica or anyone else. This is kind of scarey. When we leave Pope, Bocanegra, Gibbs, and Berhalter at home we're left with Suarez and Califf.

I hope he starts Onyewu and Spector. If Suarez starts we will concede a penalty.

Outside backs of Albright and Convey?

Whatever, at least he didn't call up Frankie.

I'm a little put off by the fact that he called up Ricardo Clark and Not eddie gaven. Although I wouldn't mind seeing he and Dempsey in the central midfield together.

Here's my lineup.

Albright-Onyewu-Spector-Convey
    ---------Clark------Dempsey
    Mullan-----------------Coralles
    ------------Dononvan
    ----------Johnson

Why is he bringing McBride for this one?

whatever.

11. Bob Morocco

Bob Morocco Member+

Aug 11, 2003
    Billings, MT
    Maybe someone listed the wrong Eddie training with ManU, they're tracking both Golden Eddies. Weird roster, no Buddle, maybe this is why Bruce has been hidding it from us.

Convey is listed as a midfielder and who else plays on the left, thst is not named Ramiro, I see us starting with this:

------------Cannon
    Albright---Califf--Gooch---Spector
    -------------Pablo
    --Ralston--------------Convey
    ------------Landon
    -------Johnson--McBride

Subs could be Ching for a forward, Dempsey for Pablo, and Mullan for Ralston.

12. Ghost

Ghost Member+

Sep 5, 2001
    weird roster. i assume that cunningham is there for a practice body. but why not buddle. it also looks like he is looking for a relatively younger d-mid, in case the other ones falter.

13. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    To a degree, I question the validity of this list. I don't doubt that the people listed have been called in, I just don't think it's complete.

I know Cory Gibbs and Taylor Twellman have been called in for this camp, and I've heard Tony Sanneh is in, too. I would expect some or all of them to start, as well.

If Ridge left off those three, who else did he omit?

14. slarockk

slarockk New Member

Feb 19, 2001
    Southern California
    I guess many of the players are new to get a look at.....glad to see Dempsey and Clark get a chance.... I read that Twellman had suffered a fracture in his foot in the final playoff game or he would be on that list....surprised Tony Sanneh didn't get the nod....maybe Bruce already knows what type of player he is and wanted some of his border line guys who've not been in camp for a while or ever to try out.....am disappointed Hartman didn't get chosen as one of the keepers. IMO he's a better keeper than Reis and Busch even though they've had great years. That's why BA gets paid the big bucks and he's coach and none of BigSoccer posters are!

15. cleazer

cleazer Member+

May 6, 2003
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think that roster is wrong. It just doesn't look right. Why in the world would we list 4 goalkeepers? And one of them isn't even Howard, despite the fact that Spector got called in? Very strange. And Frankie Hejduk finally does not get called up, for the match that just happens to be at Crew stadium? Once again, very odd.

That said, if this is true, McBride is a sure starter folks. There's no way he would come back to Columbus and then not start.

I'm not going to believe this lineup until I actually see it out on the field!

16. cleazer

cleazer Member+

May 6, 2003
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe Sanneh doesn't want to get booed when he runs out onto the field at Crew Stadium.

17. Stogey23

Stogey23 Member+

Dec 12, 1998
    San Diego, CA
    Wasn't Eddie Johnson filmed training with the US this week? How was he with Manchester United at the same time?

18. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    Is Richard Mulrooney done as a NAT? SJ fans will tell you that he was 10 times better then Corrales this year.

19. Roblar

Roblar Member

Sep 15, 2000
    The 73072
    Given that we don't see any of: KZ, Armas, Reyna...

...why isn't Mulrooney there? ...just not an Arena player?

20. Bob Morocco

Bob Morocco Member+

Aug 11, 2003
    Billings, MT
    I could swear that I saw Sanneh in the EJ training video from camp on ussoccer.

21. XYZ1234

XYZ1234 New Member

Oct 26, 2002
    I have a very hard time believing that this is the complete roster. No Gaven, Russell, Pope, Gibbs, Frankie, Sanneh? 4 keepers for 18 field players? I expect more players are coming in from Europe.

If this the complete roster then this game will be a wasted opportunity to evaluate new players and how they fit into the team. There's only 2 regular field players (Donovan and McBride) and Keller. Arena needs more of the first team guys in there to evaluate how the new players fit in.

I can't believe that I'm actually disappointed Frankie's not listed.

Ugly roster

22. Hatrick

Hatrick Member

Yes, I saw Sanneh running in the clip as well...The aforementioned list is very suspectable.

23. IMOX77

IMOX77 New Member

Jun 15, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Maybee with Gaven having a busy schedule coming with the u20's Bruce wanted to give him a little rest? The u20's have games 11/19 against Honduras and 11/21 against Mexico in Florida. I think they also have camps in December and January all leading up to concacaf u20 WYC qualifying in Jan. Though getting in the Jamacia game might be better for Eddie being apart of the u20 team through the nov. games into qualifying would be better for Sigi to get some team comradery and familarity.

24. Sanguine

Sanguine Member

Jul 4, 2003
    Reston, VA
    I was going to ask why Gaven wasn't listed, but this makes sense.

------------Keller
    Albright-Gooch-Califf-Spector
    -------Mastro-Dempsey
    ----Donovan----Convey/Martino
    ---------EJ-McBride

25. Bigrose30

Bigrose30 Member+

Sep 11, 2004
    Jersey City, NJ
    A couple things...

The Boston Globe has 25 players in camp with Taylor Twellman being one of them.

http://www.boston.com/sports/soccer/articles/2004/11/09/revolution_stars_worthy_of_national_stage/

I see 22 and no Twellman.

Also, Eddie Johnson has not been training with Manchester United...at least not the same Eddie Johnson that we know and love. He said himself on the US Soccer Video that he's been taking the last two weeks off. And besides, if he filmed the videos in Columbus the past two days (as someone else on this tread pointed out) how did he fly back with Spector Thursday?

I'm taking this "unofficial" list as just that.