Answers to HDC and Banners/Confetti/Drums

Discussion in 'Lot 8' started by K, Nov 10, 2004.

1. K

K BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 16, 1999
    DC, Fake America
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK

I've spoken to the operations director at HDC and we need to bring ALL of the banners and set them up on Sat around 2 pm. We cannot put them all over the stadium so we need to selective in what we bring. I know the SE/BB banners are coming, LN? and Martin wants to bring some of his as well (for all concerned, less is more unless you want to lug anyway and see what happens). There is no rail there but it's a concrete block so banners need to be taped so tape is on back (they don't want the paint mussed up on the front). No passes are needed, I have the contact's phone number so a bunch of people can go over there on Sat and call this guy to let them in.

Confetti is fine, they shoot it off when the Galaxy score. The rolls of tablecloth are fine as long as they don't interfere with people who don't want it overhead (otherwise security will be in your face).

Drums are OK but as you have read elsewhere, sticks are not OK (drumsticks or flagpoles ARE NOT ALLOWED). I asked about the La Norte Bombo and they need to work out getting that in there (if the folks bringing it could give me some dimensions and when you're arriving that would help, send me a pm) Between the LA people and the DCU folks I hope to work out.

Is there anything else? As for the fab MVP Jaime banner we might want to hold that overhead (unless the Barra flag is coming out). Either of these should also get inside on Sat as well and they can put out in the section on Sunday). Let me know.

K

2. TEConnor

TEConnor New Member

Feb 22, 1999
    So, the final answer on flag poles is?

Also, the buffalo drums?

I bought the streamers already, so if we can bring those fine. If not, no biggie.

As far as drum sticks...I will manufacture and bring three or four rubber hose sticks with tennis balls on top for anyone that needs one.

Finally, as far as the table rolls, should we bring those on Saturday and leave in the section or bring in the day of?

Cheers,
    Tim

3. greatscott

greatscott Member+

Dec 21, 2002
    Richmond
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yeah i thought i remember hearing last year that section 8 had worked out something with the Fire to help get the flags into HDC last year
    K maybe you could try with DC?

way to go getting all the information back good job

4. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Be persistent on the drumstick negotiations. We were able to get them in last year, due mostly to the Chicago fans' efforts. I think Peter Wilt might have intervened to make it possible.

5. K

K BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 16, 1999
    DC, Fake America
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The DCU folks are out there tomorrow so I can bug them then. If people can let me know if it's just the LN big ass drum OR if others bringing them too that would help (to be honest it might be easiest to just ask for the BA drum and mallet).

Tim, I think streamers are fine, there are plenty of them in that picture of the Fire group from last year (again, need to be tossed over our heads and not bug people who maybe not with the DC supporters).

K

6. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    that should be much better, 'cause you can't beat Revs fans with rubber hoses ;)

good luck, I salute you all

7. vladsta

vladsta Member

Jan 11, 2002
    i'm not getting in til late sat. hopefully early sunday they'll allow us to coming and add some more banners, like 100' ;-)

8. TEConnor

TEConnor New Member

Feb 22, 1999
    Can you get them to someone going earlier?

Tim

9. BBBulldog

BBBulldog Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2004
    Dinamo Zagreb
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    Yet another reason to be glad DCU is not managed by pack of lunatics that apparently run HDC gig :D

I have Barra banner (hopefully ducttape will hold it on wall, it's heavy. I will bring Jaime flag if there's space. I also have 5x16 banner with stars for each year that can be held up (well I will have it unless I go insane trying to spray yellow on black and burn it). If there's space in bag that all those go in I will put in 30 or so streamers in our team colors to give out 9if you have walmart near you and space in your baggage (don't see why you wouldn't unless you're a woman and travel with 6 pairs of shoes :p then bring some too).

10. big spaniel

big spaniel Member

Nov 18, 1999
    Arlington, Virginia

I'm also getting into Long Beach at 2:10, but probably can get there before 4. Is that too late?

11. TEConnor

TEConnor New Member

Feb 22, 1999
    What Srdan said. We've got lots of streamers in the order from the party supply place. However, if you can get to a walmart or the like, please to buy a 6 pack of black, red, or white short streamers and bring with you. You can never have enough for when DC scores 3.

Cheers,
    Tim

12. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    Let me know if you need a mule for banners. I'm leaving Friday night with plenty of available luggage space.

Thx,

Jay!

13. Luis Chavez

Luis Chavez Red Card

Jul 11, 2001
    burke, va
    LA NORTE's Bombo is 3 1/2 feet in diameter. Could we bring in toilet paper for the game???

14. Sanguine

Sanguine Member

Jul 4, 2003
    Reston, VA
    spray white on black, then spray yellow on white.

15. BBBulldog

BBBulldog Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2004
    Dinamo Zagreb
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    I thought of doing that then I realized it would still take 3-4 coats that way :)

16. Sanguine

Sanguine Member

Jul 4, 2003
    Reston, VA
    I found that the yellows came out better when done that way when I used to paint plastic miniatures. In my experience, most yellow paints don't show up on black surfaces well (unless it's black primer) without some sort of underpaint.

17. BBBulldog

BBBulldog Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2004
    Dinamo Zagreb
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    I paint all bright colors on minis with white undercoat. Lets shut up before they make us DCU Nerds banner :D

18. K

K BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 16, 1999
    DC, Fake America
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK, when are you guys arriving with it? I'd leave the TP at home, I really don't think they're going to go with that and we don't want anyone to get tossed.

As for people with other banners who are arriving late on Sat, you can try to bring a few in on Sunday (no guarantees you'll be able to get them in) or, ship them out to us at the hotel (feel free to send to me there), or get them to someone to take out their earlier. Please note there isn't a rail there so all banners need to be taped to a concrete wall (there's nothing to tie anything to) and also we really won't be allowed to put stuff up in front of people who aren't DC supporters so no need to bring the entire store of stuff (I know, but this isn't RFK in many ways and we need to roll with it).

I'm going to try to track down someone with DCU re the Bombo and drumsticks today, I'll post back here when I know something.

K

19. Victory

Victory Member

Sep 20, 2000
    RFK LOT 8
    50/50 on the Barra Flag making it. Using the Moreno banner as a flag is the quickest way to destroy it

20. BBBulldog

BBBulldog Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2004
    Dinamo Zagreb
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    Ah but you see I think ahead so I had Jaime float above Barra few times last weekend during OT and it seemd fine (still have to open it up fully and check everything). Not sure I can give it a better test unless National Zoo lets me use some of rowdier cages :)

I actually just did it to see how that material holds with drunken locos tearing on it since I have some other flag ideas. If Jaime doesn't make it past LA that's totally fine with me, it was only ment for 1 game anyway. I think only other time I could see putting it up is when Jaime wins MVP, for first game next season.

21. greatscott

greatscott Member+

Dec 21, 2002
    Richmond
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i cant wait to see all this

22. TEConnor

TEConnor New Member

Feb 22, 1999
    Victory. While it would be great to have the Barra Flag, I believe that it is too wide for the 30-35 ft wide section. We'll have plenty of rolls of table cloth (possibly enough for two renditions). That should be a good substitute, in my opinion.

Tim

23. GrillMaster

GrillMaster Member

Aug 31, 2000
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Even if only used once (say, in victory) it would be worth humping it out there (easy for me to say ;)).

OK...I'm waiting

GM

24. BBBulldog

BBBulldog Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2004
    Dinamo Zagreb
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    So i went to Walmart to get streamers and bought them out, all they had left was 10 black, 10 white and 5 red. Then I remembered Michaels next door had red and white ones on sale for 50 cents so I went over and got 5 red ones. I was chatting with sales guy while he was ringing them up and someone fvcked up sale so total for 5 came as 5 cents. Guy said that's fine so I said ok and emptied out their shelf. So now I have 50 streamers and half of them costed penny each :)

Someone get black ones tho, only have 10 of those :p

25. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    He could win MVP for the Cup. :)