Status of Contraction/Move/Stay/Sale Whatever (aka yes, there will be a 2005 Quakes)

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by asdf2, Nov 8, 2004.

1. asdf2

asdf2 Member+

Oct 11, 2004
    San Francisco
    I recall reading in these threads somewhere that the front office staff were going to find out soon (this week?) whether we'd have a team next year or what. Is that correct?

At that point there would have to be a public announcement or it would leak anyway so we'll know our 2005 fate - or lack thereof - soon.

Personally, I'm pessimistic given the total lack of good news coming out of SSV re new ownership and seemingly lack of progress re a new stadium solution.

2. Quaker

Quaker Member+

FC Dallas
    Apr 19, 2000
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Status of Contraction/Move/Stay/Sale Whatever

It was in the SoccerAmerica article:

"Quakes staff members are supposed to be notified early next week as to the team's future."

"Early next week" should mean today or tomorrow. We should know soon enough, but I'll admit the suspense is killing me.

3. Quaker

Quaker Member+

FC Dallas
    Apr 19, 2000
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Well, this just might be the answer. From today's SSV email:

Dear SSV Member:

We're writing you today to tell you about a small victory in our work to keep the Earthquakes in the Bay Area. If everything we're hearing is correct, we anticipate that the Quakes will start selling 2005 season tickets very soon for another year at Spartan Stadium. While the bigger questions about the team's future remain unanswered -- who will purchase the team? where in the Bay Area will a stadium be constructed? -- Soccer Silicon Valley's progress in identifying potential investors, the 24 percent rise in attendance, and other factors have given AEG reasons to keep the team here for at least one more season while we work together to find new owners.

The impending start to sales of season tickets also means that all of us who have pledged to buy season tickets will now be given the chance to follow through on that promise. As we have mentioned before, buying season tickets is very important. Although this is a frustrating time for all Earthquake fans, players, and staff, we have a tremendous opportunity to make this team our own. We can show AEG and MLS that the Earthquakes and MLS belong in the Bay Area. The number one way we as fans can do that is by increasing paid attendance and that means increasing the season ticket base. If you know someone who is on the fence about this team or MLS now is the time to bring him into the fold. Now is the time to show that this team has fantastic support in the community -- despite the looming threat of relocating the club -- as a way of showing potential investors that they won't be in it alone.

As you might expect, SSV is going to help with those efforts. We will:
    - Contact season ticket pledges about following through on their pledge, like we're doing right now;
    - Create and promote alternative means of using pledged tickets such as donating them to the Kicks for Kids program; and
    - Work with the Quakes to organize a Season Ticket Sales Drive.

I know everyone would like an update on our investor options. Unfortunately most investors value their privacy so we cannot share with you those persons who are interested. Although we all would like this to be done sooner rather than later, it helps to remember that these things take time. You may recall that Jorge Vergara of Chivas USA announced his interest in MLS at the 2003 All-Star Game but it was not until this year's All-Star Game that his involvement became official. So while we would all like for this to be done, it is not yet. But we're optimistic it will get done and in a way that keeps the team here with local ownership.

As always, I value your feedback -- if I don't get back to you right away it does not mean your e-mail did not get read. The SSV founders -- who are all working very hard -- get the emails you send and many of you have given us great suggestions. So keep them coming…

Yours in Soccer,

Colin McCarthy

4. Hawkeye17

Hawkeye17 DynaChick v QuakeBabe v WildKate v Chewie23

Aug 25, 1999
    Miami Vice 82
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Also got the email from SSV. I will say the news is rather good and worth celebrating. All that is left is AEG confirming that the team will be staying here next season or otherwise.

It's good because tentatively I can plunk down the whole deposit for season tickets, pending what the office sends to me.

Hang in there, and stay tuned.

5. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

[AL PACINO]Huz-zah![/AL PACINO] :D

GO SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES!!! :cool:

-G

6. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

And of course, those in Dallas and elsewhere agree that keeping the Earthquakes here is undoubtedly being done in the best interest of the league. :D

GO SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES!!! :cool:

-G

7. asdf2

asdf2 Member+

Oct 11, 2004
    San Francisco

Great news if true.

8. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003

Wow, that was a quick response to the question posed by this thread. Excellent news if true.

9. sj_quakes_fan

sj_quakes_fan Member

May 18, 2001
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

This is so great! It made my gloomy day so much better!!!! I knew my Quakies would be around. I BELIEVED! And, I didn't miss the final game at Spartan. As much as I want a new stadium (I really, really, really do), I am going to miss Spartan for the memories.

10. doppelganger

doppelganger Member

Jul 6, 2001
    santa cruz, ca

ohhh...I am channeling Steve Perry:

"Don't stop believing..."

:D

11. yalpstel

yalpstel Member

Oct 12, 2000
    Bay Area, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

"If true."

Why on earth would SSV say something that wasn't true?

Thank you Mr. President and the rest of you great guys at SSV. I'm ready and more than willing to follow through with my pledge! I'm also available to help where ever I can with whatever it is that needs to be done to support your efforts.

~Still BELIEVING and NOT GIVING UP!

This is the best news I've had for months...couldn't have come at a better time.

12. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003

I thought the same thing. I totally believe what they say. But notice that the SSV email says "If everything we're hearing is correct...". Most likely they're being pretty conservative in saying that, but given how things have gone the last few months, I think it would be wise to wait for an official announcement from AEG before breaking out the champagne.

13. yalpstel

yalpstel Member

Oct 12, 2000
    Bay Area, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Gotcha JazzyJ. I understand.

14. alliu23

alliu23 I'm a Yank til I Die

Jul 28, 2004
    Williamsport, PA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

oh happy days... :)

15. Hawkeye17

Aug 25, 1999
    Miami Vice 82
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

That's it right there. AEG is going to have the final word as to the status of the team, and per my usual maxim (yada yada) not going to believe it until it's official. SSV has been right on the nail with everything else, and I don't see any reason why they wouldn't. If for any reason that they are wrong, they of course would have to take responsibility and eat their words. Not knocking against the SSV lads, they've done everything in their power to keep the team here and since all of them are very smart people, if they are sure of things they'll announce it. I know they are very tact and diplomatic when it comes to these situations, and they have to be.

Not quite out of the woods yet, but it's still good news.

16. Noah Dahl

Noah Dahl New Member

Nov 1, 2001
    Pottersville
    Colin, can you do something about the 2000 prez election? Thanks.

17. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Yes, this is good news...but not the greatest of news. I am sure the players don't want a repeat of what happened this year for next year. They deserve some solid news about their future. And they don't need another year of "well, we may sell, we may move, we may fold." If deadlines are set for anything, for the sake of the players, coaches, and their families, I hope the deadlines are kept.

May SSV never grow weary in their quest. Keep up the excellent work you're doing.

Love live the Quakes.

18. tonyh01

tonyh01 Member

Nov 9, 2003
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Fellow fans....this should be viewed as good news.

This gives us more time to provide a solid foundation for the future of this franchise. Next year will be different as we now have time to put things together properly. Good news will continue to flow. It just takes time, which we now have more of. We must be patient and remember that selling a franchise doesn't happen over night, nor does getting a stadium built.

19. sj_quakes_fan

sj_quakes_fan Member

May 18, 2001
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I'm a HUGE Journey fan! :D

20. Joe Santos

Joe Santos New Member

Jan 8, 2000
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I'm not sure if this was posted in another thread so I apoligize in advance for any duplication. Here's the text of a press release I received from the Earthquakes this afternoon:

Quakes President & G.M. Alexi Lalas Available To Media
    On Tuesday, November 9 To Discuss Future Of Team
    Lalas Available For Interviews At 11:00 a.m. PT At Earthquakes Office In Downtown San Jose

SAN JOSE, CA (Monday, November 8, 2004) - Earthquakes President & General Manager Alexi Lalas will be available to the media on Tuesday, November 9 at 11:00 a.m. PT at the Earthquakes office located at 100 North Almaden Ave. in downtown San Jose to make several announcements and discuss the immediate future of the club.

WHAT: Media availability to discuss the immediate future of the San Jose Earthquakes

WHEN: Tuesday, November 9, 2004 at 11:00 a.m. PT

WHERE: Earthquakes Office
    100 North Almaden Ave.
    Downtown San Jose

WHO: Earthquakes President & G.M. Alexi Lalas

21. OldFanatic

OldFanatic Member

Jan 12, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Uh-oh. I hope this is going to be good news. I'm feeling very nervous.

BTW, through what channel did you get this press release? It's not on mlsnet.com, nor through any email to past season-ticket holders. Was it sent out only to select press people?

22. yalpstel

yalpstel Member

Oct 12, 2000
    Bay Area, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Channel 11's Raj Mathai just reported that tomorrow morning the Quakes will announce that they will be staying for the 2005 season.

Will an ownership announcement be made by the Quakes tomorrow as well?

Hmmm. I guess, we'll see.

23. Hawkeye17

Aug 25, 1999
    Miami Vice 82
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I'll believe it when I hear it, and chances are, it sounds good. If SSV has it right, then I expect what you announced--the Quakes remaining in 2005--to be the case.

By the same time next year I expect the team to have its long term future in the South Bay/SF Bay Area to be secure.

I'm planning to renew right on there. That's what we all want for Christmas--2005 Season Tickets.

24. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003

I'd be really surprised if local ownership talks had proceeded to that stage. My impression is that there has been good progress but nothing concrete yet. And I'm sure the stadium deal figures very heavily into the mix as well.

25. shasta

shasta New Member

Mar 8, 2004
    AEG SVCKS

Is this restricted to media? Would the season ticket holders be allowed in????