First division, Second division and more changes

Discussion in 'United Soccer Leagues' started by panicfc, Nov 6, 2004.

1. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1st Division - A-League to max out at 16 teams, but only 12 teams alive in 2005.

PSL - 2nd division to have unlimited teams, and will remain regional league of some form or fashion.

promotion/relegation - yes, but not till 2006 or 07.

I'm sure I'm forgetting stuff, was too busy to write stuff down.

2. DaMunk

DaMunk Member

Feb 7, 2003
    Philadelphia/STX
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    US Virgin Islands
    Great news! People keep anouncing the death of the PSL, but I think it has it's place. Even if it is only semi-pro (whatever that means), the league has place in the American soccer landscape.

As a player who is over 23, but still has legs, I can honestly say that I dream of playing in the PSL. Of course with the self relegation of the Reading and South Jersey to the PDL, the task becomes a little more difficult. I think it is time for owners of PSL teams need to re-evaluate and be realistic about their position as owners of a 3rd division club here in the States.

3. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    thanks panicfc

Keep the news flowing. It will be interesting how they handle the promotion/relegation.

My suggestion, for what its worth; give the PSL side the option of moving up without paying for an A-league franchise fee. This potentially could draw in more PSL teams owners, (with the obvious lower franchise fee) and give them the opportunity to take their club to the next level cheaper then the reported $300,000 start up fee.

One thing that I'm not sure has been brought up before and probally deserves its own thread but this definately helps with creating a "professional" league image. why is that important? Remember last year when many of the foriegn players where awaiting green card to play? The big hang-up was INS was deciding weather or not to classify the A-league as professional (I don't know what their standards are) but this goal should help fix future problems in that area.

4. JasonC

JasonC New Member

May 21, 2001
    Billings, Mont.
    Is this from the AOM?

Sorry, I'm not up to speed. :)

5. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not publicly from AOM - but from sources who were there.

6. KCWiz

KCWiz New Member

May 8, 2003
    Manhattan, Kansas
    The PSL should I have a limit, I think. It's the PDL where the unlimited deal comes into play.

7. jaydog2008

jaydog2008 New Member

Jan 19, 2003
    The pdl should split in two.