White House Asks for Debt Ceiling to be Raised

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Chicago1871, Nov 3, 2004.

1. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    White House: Debt Ceiling Must Be Raised
    Oh yea, things are gonna be different. :rolleyes:

2. speedcake

speedcake Member

Dec 2, 1999
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here we go.

3. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That didn't take long.

4. Matrim55

Matrim55 Member+

Aug 14, 2000
    Berkeley
    Club:
    Connecticut
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What's the over/under on our national debt by this time in 2008? It was 5.7 trillion in 2000; now it's 7.4 trillion. 9 tillion - 1/5 of the total value of the US - seems like a nice round figure.

Thanks a lot, midwestern **************s.

5. Revolt

Revolt Member+

Jun 16, 1999
    Davis, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    New ********. Same as the old ********.

6. heybeerman

heybeerman Member

Aug 2, 2001
    Chicago Burbs
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Good Lord.

Anyone see Paluso (spelling?) on NBC right after the Bush speech. She ripped right into Graham from SC regarding Bush's attempt to cross the aisle. She wasted no time at all. "Let's hope he makes an attempt unlike the last four years." Yeah she was pretty bitter and I'm already starting to feel the same way.

7. sch2383

sch2383 New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    How can any fiscal conservatives vote for this. Their big plan is to starve the beast so eventually the government shrinks...I don't understand how they could vote for this measure.

8. ERobens

ERobens Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Providence, RI
    That's what I don't get. Has every Republican mutated into a neocon over the last four years? Rove must have some really good $hit on all of these guys.

9. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    Hey, we're at WAR, damnit! We have no choice but to raise the debt ceiling. Damned unpatriotic American hating liberals!

10. lurking

lurking Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dear Bush voters,

Your president has just decided he needs another credit card to pay for his unrealistic budget. We would like to ask your children to shoulder the burden of this, so you dont have to worry about such details.

But on the bright side, if the crippling debt doesnt get them, they are safe from stem cells and married gay people.

Cheers

11. Roel

Roel Member

Jan 15, 2000
    Santa Cruz mountains
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    My guess is that the Bush adminstration plans to allow the move of US assets over to foreign entities, like the Saudis and the Chinese. The accounting equation must be balanced, and the US is certainly not going to "grow" out of these deficits. Asset appreciation in equities in the 90s and in real estate this decade is not producing real wealth, but redistributing it.

My guess is that to optimize one's personal finance,l one should minimize one's personal debt exposure, as consumer interest rates will be increasing over the next several months, and to protect one's assets, perhaps by moving into foreign issues.

12. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Get with the program. The debt will never have to be repaid because the Rapture will happen before it is due.

13. Kelly Vargas

Kelly Vargas New Member

Jul 11, 2003
    Scottsdale, Az
    just think... if it wasnt for the clinton administration doing such a great job weakening our ability to gather intelligence while simultaneously turning a blind eye to shady actions by the current "axis of evil" countries, we wouldnt have all these expenses for you whiners to cry about!!! But something tells me items of as little consequence as "truth" wont stop this bitchest..

Way to go people!! You truly are great Americans!!!!

14. malby

malby Member+

Liverpool FC
    Republic of Ireland
    May 11, 2004
    Rep of Ireland
    Club:
    Drogheda United
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Usa! Usa! Usa!

15. malby

malby Member+

Liverpool FC
    Republic of Ireland
    May 11, 2004
    Rep of Ireland
    Club:
    Drogheda United
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Clinton went after Bin Laden!!! What did Bush do before Sept 11???

16. Frankfurt Blue

Sep 3, 2003
    Doytshlund
    Played golf.

http://archives.cnn.com/1999/ALLPOLITICS/stories/12/23/politics.golf/

"George W. Bush sports a legitimate 15 handicap, which is pretty good considering how little time he has to play the game. And as I say,y it's a legitimate 15 handicap"

That is what he had before becoming President. Wonder what he plays off now? Single figures? Plenty of practice since then.

17. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's some truth for you - Clinton didn't force Bush to cut taxes in the face of mounting War on Terror expenses. It's on your boy - defend him!

18. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    So it's still Clinton's fault? Will it still be his fault when the economy is run into the ground over the next two years of Republican control of the House, the Senate and the White House?

19. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I give you the average Bush voter. They don't get it. They don't want to get it. If it occaisionally smacks them in the face, it's Clintons fault.

20. malby

malby Member+

Liverpool FC
    Republic of Ireland
    May 11, 2004
    Rep of Ireland
    Club:
    Drogheda United
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    It's very hard for us to understand people like that over here! And to think 52% of America is like that!!

21. Prawn Sandwich

Oct 1, 2003
    Bhutan
    He did more than just play golf - Bush spent 42% of his time officially on vacation from the day he walked into the White House until 9/11.

Whats that you say about nuclear proliferation in the "Axis of Evil" during that time?? Hell no, it's all Clintons fault.... :rolleyes:

22. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We live here and we don't get it.

23. Frankfurt Blue

Sep 3, 2003
    Doytshlund
    Education; the media - there are 2 things to blame, I would suggest.
    What's not to get? You have to pay for all this eventually, unless you live in Kelly Vargas' world that is. ;)

24. malby

malby Member+

Liverpool FC
    Republic of Ireland
    May 11, 2004
    Rep of Ireland
    Club:
    Drogheda United
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    I take it this guy has a track record of being a nutter?

25. Nutmeg

Nutmeg Member+

Aug 24, 1999
    I'll answer it here, '71, because this is a more appropriate thread. I don't like it, as I am a hardline fiscal conservative and think government spending should be kept to a bare minimum. Having said that, what really pisses most of you guys off is that we're in Iraq at all. Fair enough. I can't and won't argue with that. But the reality is that we are there, it is expensive, and not paying the bills puts way too many people's lives - American or otherwise - in even more peril than they're in now. I can't get on board with that. So your choice is either to massively cut social services, or do something drastic in Iraq. Either way, not gonna be popular around here. I don't have the answer. Sorry.