Ives: "The bright side is hard to find for these Metros"

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by MetroFever, Nov 2, 2004.

1. MetroFever

MetroFever Member+

Jun 3, 2001
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    Bradley also had his struggles, both in personnel decisions and in tactical choices in the playoffs. What Bradley was responsible for was using the money gained from Tim Howard's sale to Manchester United to sign Galvan Rey, an unmitigated flop who is almost certain to be sold for a fraction of what it cost to acquire him.

Bradley also signed Pablo Brenes, Cornell Glen and Fabian Taylor. They all showed flashes of being special, but all three fell short when the team needed them the most. Bradley started Brenes and Tim Regan in game one of the playoff series against D.C. and watched both struggle in a 2-0 loss. He started Gilberto Flores in a must-win game two only to replace him 30 minutes into the game when Flores misunderstood the instruction to play hard with a license to foul anything that moved.

http://www.bergen.com/page.php?qstr...lRUV5eTY2MDc4ODcmeXJpcnk3ZjcxN2Y3dnFlZUVFeXk2

I agree.

I dont' see how anyone can be giddy about next season when the team actually regressed, going 10-13-7 (including the playoffs) when they had a considerably better team than in 2003.

"Glen has the kind of physical tools coaches dream of, but he's immature and still raw. The Metros may be tempted to deal him to Chicago to land one or more of Bradley's former players, such as Ante Razov or Jesse Marsch."

Why would the Fire hand deliver one of their best guys for someone we may not want?

Walker had a disappointing campaign but is still one of the league's top goalkeepers. The league has an option year but Walker may want more money than the Metros are willing to play. The perfect place for him would be Chivas USA. He's fluent in Spanish, media savvy and has family in California.

Zach Wells did a good job early in the season. I wouldn't be against this since it would create cap space for other moves.

"Ziadie and Vaca are both out of contract, with Ziadie more likely to land in England"

Who in their right mind in England would want Ziadie?

2. soccerfan

soccerfan BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 13, 1999
    New Jersey
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    there is nothing to say, Bradley should be kept as an assistant or something if he wants to stay, he has a good eye for picking out talented kids, .....................but please we need to hire a capable coach for our Metro.

3. Rommul

Rommul Member

Aug 26, 2003
    NYC
    Because the Fire know what young talented west indian players can do when given a chance to play.

And they would not be averse to dumping a high salary aging player on us.

We are that dumb.

4. metrocorazon

metrocorazon Member

May 14, 2000
    If anything its a better trade for THEM. Razov makes max or close to it. Not to mention is old and 1/2 hurt. The only reason he still there is because when he is healthy he can still play but thats when he CAN, which is not often.

Marsh is also aging but since he doesnt make the max you can gamble on him to be that veteran leader, and not take a huge chucnk of payroll out.

What the FIRE get is a very good forward who need a bit of molding, who can partner up top well with Ralph and probably doesnt make that much money which enables them to sign someone else with the Razov money.

5. stanleyt

stanleyt Member

Dec 7, 1998
    Harlem, USA
    Are you saying move Mo Johnston up and demote Bradley or lets have another coaching search and have another club acquire Bradley for a draft pick and a player?

Johnston would be our only option since hiring another coach would require another "rebuilding" on the team's part and then there's that "let's give them time to gel" thang.

I'd be sorry to see either Glen or Taylor go without another season under their belt for this team. Neither one had a Damani Ralph/Stern John type of breakout year but if we got ten goals from each of them (most coming down the stretch) next year, we'd have something.

Shep got it right on MSR last night, we need another MLS veteran that can provide some toughness in the midfield. And if anyone mentions Daniel Hernand...
    :D

6. soccerfan

soccerfan BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 13, 1999
    New Jersey
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

well i am glad you asked

there are a lot of teams that change coaches, sometimes it happens in middle of season. The new guy comes in and tries to do a better job then the previous guy. He inherits the team as it is. Now if he is able to do a better job , a good job and achive greatness then you have a GREAT coach on your hands...... I am not sure where this belief is coming from, that a new coach " has to " bring in 10 new players. This is wrong way of building a team, and the GM of the team schould not allow it.
    I can see 3, 4 changes but the core, the heart of the team should stay.

Keep in mind that a VERY GOOD coach can achive greatness with a mediocre team.
    I belive that our Metrostars have on paper a Good team, they have youth and experience, we only need two players to achive greatness a defender and someone who can finish upfront, and of course a GOOD coach that knows how to use what he has and gets the job done.

7. stanleyt

stanleyt Member

Dec 7, 1998
    Harlem, USA
    I feel what you've said but again, I think it's best to stick with Bob through next season. We'll probably lose players in the expansion draft and we'll need someone like Bradley to shore up those holes and to get some more young'uns in the superdraft.

If the team underperforms early on or leading up to the All-Star break, then you make the switch and move Johnston up. Arena won't be available until the fall of '06- and he still wants to coach in England.

The team definitely underachieved this year and everyone in this organization from the GM on down, need to treat next season like the Metros did in 2000. I'd say it's an Open Cup/ Supporters Shield and/or MLS Cup win in '05 or heads roll.

8. crusio

crusio New Member

May 10, 2004
    Princeton
    I would rather keep Taylor and Glenn, but lets give them both a chance to freakin play without Bradley's revolving forward shenanegans. Especially Taylor, injuries aside, this guy wasn't given much of a chance all season. Razov and Armas are both decent players, but they are old, tired and often broken.. Chicago can keep em. And Craig Zaidi to England? huh? Perhaps he is considering a vacation, it couldn't possibly be to play ball.

9. Thomas A Fina

Thomas A Fina Member

Mar 29, 1999
    Hell
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    *SLAP*

10. Thomas A Fina

Thomas A Fina Member

Mar 29, 1999
    Hell
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    CZ has always confused me. How can someone thought in such high esteem by the Jamaican NT be so horrendous for Metro?

He'll find a place before Vaca does. Amazingly enough.

11. Thomas A Fina

Thomas A Fina Member

Mar 29, 1999
    Hell
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    See. I was very unimpressed with Glen once he got around the goal and his penchant for whiny diving. Damani Ralph did jack this year.

OTOH if they make this trade for Razov, the entire Metro FO, staff, coaches, everyone, should be shitcanned. This has all the makings of another Balboa/Moreno nightmare. Over/under games played = 3 if he comes to Metro

12. jkl;

jkl; New Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Didn't Ziadie spend last offseason in UK looking for clubs?
    He probably has enough caps, and wants some more money, which he could get in D1.
    He'd still probably start in Jamaica, so what's the problem? Since Metro fans continually scream for his head?
    Ziadie is an alright player. I don't see why everybody scapegoats him. He and Leitch are about the same in terms of skill and play, but I think everybody here loves Leitch and villifies Ziadie.

13. Rommul

Rommul Member

Aug 26, 2003
    NYC
    Ziadie is much more skillful than leitch. Its not even close.

Lietch is by far a better player.

Ziadie loses concentration too often and at the most inopportune times.