SJ/KC playoff: match 1 (10/24/04) prematch thread [R]

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by bsman, Oct 16, 2004.

1. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Never too early to start-Let's get warmed up!

2. alliu23

alliu23 I'm a Yank til I Die

Jul 28, 2004
    Williamsport, PA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: SJ/KC playoff: Game 1

from what I heard there were a lot of mistakes. hopefully they can tune up a bit before then. we believe!

3. sonofapitch

sonofapitch New Member

Feb 11, 2002
    Novato, CA

I'm hoping our game vs. KC will be Saturday night at Spartan. I just checked and I see that SJSU is @ Hawaii next weekend, so the stadium is wide open.

The MLS schedule shows there will also be one game on Sunday at 2:00 (Pacific) to be televised on ESPN. For purely selfish reasons, I want the game on Saturday because I'm off that day. I have to work Sunday and DO NOT want to miss this game. (Hmm...think I'm feeling a bit feverish all of a sudden.) ;)

4. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

According to the letter sent with the Great America Courtesy Day Pass:

There will be only one playoff home-game for the Quakes this year - even if they advance to the Western Conference Final, they will be the road team.

GO SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES!!! :cool:

-G

5. Sachsen

Sachsen Member+

Aug 8, 2003
    Broken Arrow, Okla.
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Congrats on making it into the playoffs. Looking forward to taking y'all on.

Off topic slightly, but Game 2 is October 30 in KC. How does your team like the cold? It was pretty nippy at Arrowhead tonight. My ears and nose are still thawing out. :)

6. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

As far as I can tell, it depends on tomorrow's DC-Metros result. The three teams certain to host games next weekend are New England, Colorado, and San Jose. New England cannot play in the ESPN2 game, because the Patriots are at home that day. Colorado has already announced that its home game will be on Friday. DC United and the MetroStars will face each other in the first round, but the order of games depends on tomorrow's result. If DC loses or ties, they will host next weekend, and there's no way MLS passes on putting Freddy's first playoff game on ESPN2. If the Metros lose, they host next weekend, and can't play it on Sunday due to the Giants playing at home that day. So with a Metros loss, it looks like the league would be forced to put the Quakes' home game on Sunday at 2 pm, unless they decide to reschedule the Colorado game, which they probably could since the Broncos are away.

7. We Were Cut

We Were Cut Member

Sep 9, 2000
    Woodland, CA

As of right now, Ticketmaster is showing the Quakes game for Saturday the 23rd at 7pm. MLSNet & and Quakes websites don't have an official date/time yet.

8. sonofapitch

sonofapitch New Member

Feb 11, 2002
    Novato, CA

Well, then...sounds like will be anti-DCU tomorrow.

Thanks, Noah.

9. yalpstel

yalpstel Member

Oct 12, 2000
    Bay Area, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

John Shrader announced on the radio (about a hundred times) that the game vs KC will be this Saturday night (10/23) at 7pm at Spartan Stadium.

10. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

If the home playoff game is on Saturday, October 23rd, then the game will be televised on MetroSports via the Direct Kick Package.

If the game is instead on Sunday, October 24th, then the game will be televised on espn2.

Either way, while the hard-core fans will undoubtedly be at Spartan for the game, does the front-office have a plan to counteract the casual "let's just watch the game at home" crowd? :confused:

GO SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES!!! :cool:

-G

12. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    Re: SJ/KC playoff: match 1 prematch thread [R]

We want DC to win today to secure our playoff game on SATURDAY the 23rd.
    I don't want to drive down on a sunday and then get back at 12:30am monday morning and go to work at 7:00am:mad:

We have far too many injuries to beat KC in these two matches and our home performances this year have been pathetic. I don't see us walking away with anything but a tie at Spartan and a loss at Arrowhead:(

13. Quake Crazy

Quake Crazy Member

Jul 19, 2001
    Ceres Califonia
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Well, one more game at Spartan this year, perhaps the last time to see Donovan in a Quakes uniform playing at home as well, time will tell. Can the boys put together another wonderful play-off run? I'm planning to be at HDC in November no matter who plays, but it sure would be sweet to see the Quakes raise the cup again! :)

14. lurking

lurking Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I hope Ekelund doesnt start. I actually hope Agoos doesnt start either. I think the more speed we have on the field to start the game, the better off we are for the rest of the game.

I hope Mullans knock last night wasnt a big deal, because an on form Mullan is an enourmous part of our team. The engine offensively if you will, when he sputters the team sputters.

My head says we arent that good, and we are in trouble. My heart is sort of optimistic.

We will see which is right i guess.

15. BlueMeanie

BlueMeanie New Member

Apr 1, 2002
    EastSIIIIDE
    2 PM next Sunday at Spartan. Be there.

16. SJtotalfootball

May 26, 2004
    The Hayward Fault
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I would like to thank the Metrostars for losing and completely f'ing up my plans and the MLS for having a ridiculous schedule just to piss me off.

I am forced to give up my Bridge School Benefit tickets to see the Earthquakes on Sunday. Well done a$$holes :mad:

17. OldFanatic

OldFanatic Member

Jan 12, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

No, you got it backwards. DC won today, so we'll play on Sunday afternoon at 2 PM. (Oops, looks like someone else already said it.)

Go Earthquakes!!!!!!!

I would like to see Davy Arnaud and Simultenkov completely marked out. Arnaud is the creator of many goals for KC, and maybe Dunivant or Cochrane will be given the job to mark him.

On the other hand Conrad the destroyer vs. Brian Ching will be an interesting matchup to keep track of.

18. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    My bad. Sucks for me too but the 2:00pm start will work out, sort of.

19. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Sunday at 2? How horrible is that!

I have been to every single home game this year and I am going to have to miss the last half of this one unless my AY game is rained out. You can all hate me for this...but I'm praying to the weather gods for heavy precipitation (at least in the morning so my AY game can be canceled early...I would prefer that it be dry by the start of the playoff game. Besides, my team is going to lose their game anyway because the other team is a club team in disguise.)

20. billward

billward Member

Oct 22, 2002
    El Cerrito, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Crap! I've got a Tupperware party Sunday at 2! Maybe I can reschedule...

21. europa1057

europa1057 New Member

Jul 24, 2002
    California
    Ugh, how horrible is this? Can't wait to see the enormous crowd that is sure to show up for this wonderful random time.

And I have to drop my parents off at the airport at 1 on Sunday. I was so looking forward to bringing them to a SATURDAY playoff game too.

22. MLSFAN20

MLSFAN20 New Member

May 20, 2001
    East Bay, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dammit, I was hoping for a Saturday night game just so I could call out sick for that very reason. Instead it's on Sunday at some lame ass time and I'll be missing out on my time and a half! And then I have a hockey game at 6 which means i gotta scramble back right after the game is over!!!

23. Hawkeye17

Hawkeye17 DynaChick v QuakeBabe v WildKate v Chewie23

Aug 25, 1999
    Miami Vice 82
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We're there dude! :D

Party in the stadium parking lot!

Mullan and Dane are banged up from last night's game so at least 2 holes to patch there. KC is going to come out of this series like gangbusters--presuming that Tony Meola returns to the starting lineup, and Wolff is back into form they will be one of the toughest teams to play against...

It's not going to be a very easy series... each team with a win and a draw from last season, it's going to boil down to momentum, and KC is coming off a win over LA...

It's a big chance for Ching and Donovan to step up... Hawaiian Superman missed out on last year's title run in the late going, and this is his big chance to show that he really wants to earn another ring, but this one on the pitch...

Even bigger motivation is the last year's Western Conference Final, many of the Wizards players still have that on the back of their minds, and payback is going to be very very sweet for them...

Plus, offhand, have to feel for Chris Klein, who can do nothing more than watch from the sidelines.

Next Sunday, be there! Bright and early! Cheers!

24. We Were Cut

We Were Cut Member

Sep 9, 2000
    Woodland, CA
    How about move it to the West Side parking lot? :eek:

nice one.

25. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Definitely. I could use one of those cupcake holders.