Real Betis vs. Real Madrid (La Liga Week#7) [R]

Discussion in 'Real Madrid' started by Lockjaw, Oct 14, 2004.

1. Sinko

Sinko New Member

Dec 28, 1999
    xalapa ver mx
    Club:
    Harrisburg City Isl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is the dl rate always this slow?

2. Sinko

Sinko New Member

Dec 28, 1999
    xalapa ver mx
    Club:
    Harrisburg City Isl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for the directions!

3. bkn0528

bkn0528 Member

Aug 2, 2003
    nyc
    i'm still downloading the bittorrent (i think i set it too slow!) so i haven't seen the game, so my comments are just in general. i like mejia too, and i think he's a capable fullback although from some of the media reports i read about this game it seems he had a problem with oliveira's pace on the wing. he's a better central defender than fullback and i think the main problem he has when he plays fullback is getting beaten this way - with speed. everyone seems to be saying that arbeloa did well so that's good news if we have another player who can substitute for salgado.

as far as zizou in the center, one report i found said that Real's midfield switched to a diamond formation with zidane attacking behind owen and ronaldo, raul on the left and guti as the 'defensive' mid (although the post above makes it clear that this was 'fluid'). if real picks up a real defensive midfielder in january, or if woodgate comes back from his injury in good form and samuel has adjusted to the spanish league allowing helguera to play defensive mid, i find this move to be quite savory... again moving beckham to the right and playing figo on the left...

4. ilferrari

ilferrari New Member

Oct 5, 2004
    I thought Madrid looked more fluid without Beckham prancing around in there, taking 3 touches and looking to hit long balls. He's a player with good workrate and ability to hit precision passes with his right, but I still don't think he works well in this team.

Zidane looked better roaming around the middle rather than on the left. In my opinion they should put Figo and Beckham on the wings.

The dl rate starts off slow and speeds up as you connect to more seeds and upload yourself. I get around 40k/s max typically, but I have got higher

5. ilferrari

ilferrari New Member

Oct 5, 2004
    I would like to see darling Raul subbed more for Morientes and Owen. I like Raul, but I still beleive he is not at his best form.

The problem is one gets the feeling that businessman Florentino is picking this team.

Owen looks sharp actually, although he did little of note.

Zidane played better in the center and his workrate was good, which has been the only real criticism of him in the past. If he can get the form of his first 2 seasons Real will really benefit.

6. THFC1

THFC1 New Member

Oct 2, 2004
    South East London
    I have been impressed with Raúl's workrate recently. He looks sharp. Since being dropped against Espanyol & the 2 goals against Roma

You can have a midfield full of Beckham's, you cant have a midfield full of Zidane's or Figo's

I dont mind the idea of Beckham & Figo on the wings though as long as their is a defensive midfielder with Zidane, they cant play Guti with him

7. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I also find the team to move better this game. Beckham cannot play in middle anymore. He is just not the type of player fit for that position. He needs to play in the wing. Owen played better, but I still see him as the 4th option. I do not understand why Morientes was not used.

Zidane needs to play in the middle. When will Solari return???? Solari should return to the left side while Zidane plays in the middle with either Guti or Beckham.

8. Lockjaw

Lockjaw BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 8, 2004
    Kaiserslautern
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Further observations:

I agree that Mejia is a better CB than the others. But not because he was beat by Olivares. Heck, Olivares beat everyone out there! I did not know he was so fast. GR should have started Mejia as a CB with Samuel & put Raul Bravo as the right side defender. Raul Bravo misjudges balls in the middle, but his speed is very useful on the wings.

Roberto Carlos did a good job on Joaquin, better than I expected. And for all you posters always criticizing Beckham, I hope you enjoyed watching Zidane send two great free kick opportunities straight in to the wall. Roberto Carlos would have also hit the wall, but the defender raised his leg - what a chicken! Zidane's work rate was fantastic & his two challenges of the goalie on 50/50 balls were very impressive. I have to agree we should probably play him in the middle. Where is Solari by the way?

Our problems are in the midfield. Guti & Celades are adequate back-ups, but they are not going to take us to the next level. And Juanfran did not impress with his first starting opportunity. Arebola did show great composure on the ball - he moves very well for a big guy.

I have to agree that the ref was our friend this game. Helguerra's hard tackle from the rear should have been a yellow & the Real Betis players argued the point. Pavon should have had at least one yellow. The only call that really went against us was the yellow on Zidane for the collision with the goalie. And the replays showed that Arebola screwed up & Olivares was on sides in the 87th minute. That would have been a tough way to lose.

Lets see what GR does for our CL game. He is showing creativity.

9. bkn0528

bkn0528 Member

Aug 2, 2003
    nyc
    he's back from injury and available for dynamo.

10. astabooty

astabooty Member

Nov 16, 2002
    China
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    it is oliveira lock :)