Will MLS expansion bring some YAs home?

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Red Card, Oct 1, 2004.

1. Red Card

Red Card Member+

Mar 3, 1999
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let the rumors begin!

Expansion positions are not just positions with the 2 new teams. There are also open positions due to the expansion draft.

If a YA wants to become part of MLS expansion in 2005, he would have to be able to transfer during the Jan (approx) transfer window. The next transfer window after that is in August and that is not of much use for MLS.

My guess is that the expansion draft would be held prior to the Jan window.

2. numerista

numerista New Member

Mar 21, 2004
    Seems like MLS expansion might have an impact on marginal European-based players such as Tim Lawson, whose recent signing might have been related to the upcoming expansion. Gotta think Raul Palomares would be excited about Chivas USA, too.

When it comes to more accomplished players, the MLS door has always been open ... in 2004, Sanneh, Kirovski, and Gibbs came back. In 2003, Hejduk, Moore, and Stewart did.

3. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Keller and Reyna would be options, if they're willing to take massive, massive paycuts. But that's the problem, guys in the twilight of their careers who might be thinking about a change are making a lot of money, and might be wise to play occassionally (reyna's injuries the last few years make him occassional, though he does seemt o start when healthy) and earn five to 10 times what mls offers.
    As for young guys, they're making more money, but also building careers. Unless you're a washout, why would you leave for mls?

4. worldfootballgenius

New York Red Bulls
    United States
    Jul 9, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kasey Keller will be here next season, he's stated that many times he's done in europe.

5. sch2383

sch2383 New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    Keller will be here, I think the only question is when he will come, in May after the English season is over or will he get out of his contract and start the season with his new MLS team?

6. MLSNHTOWN

MLSNHTOWN Member+

Oct 27, 1999
    Houston, TX
    I know MLS DESPISES Loans, but if I was the league, I would approach Arsenal and attempt to get Simek and Karb. If I was Man U I would try to get Spector and Cooper. On loan only....gets those players exposure to MLS, the USMNT coach, and of course, it is playing time. It is equivalent to a loan to the Championship, which is not uncommon for young players to try to get more playing time.

I think Spector would be difficult as he actually might fit into the depth chart somewhere at Man U.

There are other players to consider like Demirrit (Sp?), Lewis, etc. But I would say stay away from those players.

Keller should probably come back. The club should let him go on a free, but you never know. Regardless, I think this is his last year no? Reyna should stay. He still has too much quality for Keegan to give him away to MLS. We shouldn't pay any fee for him, just wait until he comes back on a free, one day.

7. numerista

numerista New Member

Mar 21, 2004
    ... but there's a reason why MLS despises loans. If they set this precedent, then the next wave of Beasleys, Conveys, and Gavens wouldn't sign with MLS. They'd sign with an English team and want to play here on loan.

Incidentally, it looks like my speculation about Palomares was on the money ...
    http://pacificcoastsoccer.org/

8. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It will open up a bunch of $50K-$150K slots for Yanks in MLS. I expect a good number of players in the Chris Carrieri class to come back from the A-League, but also players in the Brian West class coming back from Europe. (Not Brian specifically, just guys of that caliber.) Berhalter, maybe, and Vanney, when their contracts run out.

9. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    I don't think this sets a good precedent for MLS. If guys don't want to play for MLS its thier loss. They shouldn't be allowed to use MLS as their fallback. It wouldn't be fair to players who DO play for MLS.

Also, Spector is too valuable to go anywhere. He's one injury away from starting again. Even though god only knows why Mikael Silvestre keeps starting.

10. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    I would think Thorrington and Yi would be back as well.

Also, Herzog will be out of LA. Maybe a few others which will open some space.

I can't imagine Reyna or Beerholder coming back just yet. Reyna was off to his best season (minutes-wise - I haven't seen much Man City this year and they're not exactly tearing it up. How long, Kevin, how long??) in years and his injury appears to be slight.

11. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Two additional candidates would be ex-MLSer Daniel Hernandez, currently with Necaxa of Mexico, and ex-US youth star Luchi Gonzales, currently with Sporting Cristal of Peru. Obviously I took a biased approach and looked for Spanish speakers, but I would expect Chivas USA to do the same thing.

12. Treetaliano

Treetaliano Member

Jun 29, 2002
    Charlotte, NC
    In what...5 years??

Reyna is no where even close to considering MLS. Nor should he be.

13. jri

jri Red Card

Sep 28, 2000
    boca
    Don't forget that Thorrington still has a shot to be a Nat team regular! :)

14. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    I know you jest, but in some respects Thorrington's path would not be all that different from Gibbs (except Gibbs team's stock fell faster than his.) I have no idea what Thorrington had to offer, but if there was ever a time and place for a right sided winger to step up and make noise, this qualifying round would be it.

How about Palomeres to Chivas? He can translate for the coach!

15. worldfootballgenius

New York Red Bulls
    United States
    Jul 9, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    this xmas he'll be 34 with half a seaspon left on his contract and he's a benchwarming goalie on a team filled with great youngsters. I think MLS could afford him then.

16. jri

jri Red Card

Sep 28, 2000
    boca
    There are many differences to Gibbs...the comparison is off-the-charts bad...

17. Yukon Cornelius

Oct 24, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
  18. Deimos

Deimos Member

Apr 23, 1999
    Louisville, KY, USA
    The comparison to Gibbs may not be valid, but I expect Thorrington to be playing in MLS next season.

19. Captain Splarg

Apr 25, 1999
    Pacific Grove, CA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I don't think we'll see him back in the states playing his trade for quite a while. He's a great guy, and he's trying to prove himself over here.

20. pething101

pething101 Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Smyrna, Ga
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hear Ian Feuer is looking for a gig...