If you had to chose, energy independence or a clean environment?

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Attacking Minded, Sep 30, 2004.

1. Attacking Minded

Attacking Minded New Member

Jun 22, 2002
    If you had to chose, energy independence or a clean enviroment?

Trying again

2. Attacking Minded

Jun 22, 2002
    This is a poll and I think it would be interesting to work a new question over. It started in this thread with this question and these two responses:

[/quote]

So if you like, answer the poll and discuss.

3. Attacking Minded

Jun 22, 2002
    I want to address the “It’s not viable” question first. It is viable, has received hundreds of millions of dollars of R&D here in the US, has been demonstrated and there is a $2Billion dollar coal liquefaction plant under construction. First the new plant:

Nor are the Chinese putting all there eggs in one basket

FYI - Sasol has claimed the development of a new catalyst.

In any event, it’s important to note that these are NOT US Government subsidized projects. This technology is ready today and China has gone ahead and invested in it.

Roel, I never heard of David Goodstien of Caltech before you posted although I have worked with one of Culick's students from Caltech. I talked today with a guy who ran some tests in industrial scale burners in the early 90s and his comment was that the coal tends to solidify in the pipes without adequate heat tracing. I really do have my facts straight on this one.

There is a definite choice available between energy independence and the environment. When we chose the environment, we give up on energy independence.

4. peledre

peledre Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: If you had to chose, energy independence or a clean enviroment?

The only time we will truly have energy independence is when we develop renewable energy sources. Those will likely be environmentally friendly, thus eventually we'll have both.

5. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast

This should be a really easy one choice for all. Obviously not though as of now we have a tie.
    The state of the planet is a barometer of live on earth, some things like oil are simply not renewable resources. So why waste time, money, and the environment, for us and future generations.
    Sure it'll make a lot of people rich for a short period of time but at what cost to others. Read up on what happened to West Virginia when coal was king there. People tossed out of their homes by eminent domain because the State was bought by the Coal men. People working themselves literally to death because they owed their souls to the company store. Black lung, emphysema, birth defects. You name it was there and the after affects are still there.
    Why not spend money on developing an alternate energy supply. We already have a start with the hybrids. There are people working on hydrogen energy cells and other ways to supply energy.
    Why destroy the planet for short term gains.

6. Robert25

Robert25 New Member

Jun 1, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Better fuel efficentcy would lesen dependence on foriegn sources of oil and would go a long way towards helping the environment since millions of cars are used every day. But its a hot potato both parties are loath to touch.

7. DoyleG

DoyleG Member+

CanPL
    Canada
    Jan 11, 2002
    YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Heard that RFK Jr. stopped a wind power project in Mass. because it wrecked the view from his home.

With friends like that....

8. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    The two goals are hardly at odds. Many alternate energy sources are clean and would improve the ecology... as would reducing the dependence on fossil fuels.

9. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    How true and how totally depressing. There's an obvious and relatively painless (partial) solution, but we're not willing to make any short-term sacrifices.

10. Karl K

Karl K Member

Oct 25, 1999
    Suburban Chicago
    Any of you guys read Wired?? It's becoming my favorite magazine.

Anyway, take a read of this article:

Let a thousand reactors bloom

Explosive growth has made the People's Republic of China the most power-hungry nation on earth. Get ready for the mass-produced, meltdown-proof future of nuclear energy.

http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/12.09/china.html

Never underestimate the power of human ingenuity to think of new and radical ways to solve problems.

and

Why hybrids are hot
    Have you seen gas prices? Purists can wait for hydrogen. The market can't.

http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/12.09/start.html?pg=2

Never underestimate the power of serving a market need to lead to innovation and declining costs.

Hey, but then again, I am just a optimist.

11. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Coal has costs well beyond financial ones. Extracting coal takes a tremendous toll on the environment, including aesthetics (which do matter).

Personally, I don't see any reason why we can't do both energy independence and a clean environment. The first step in achieving both is reducing our energy consumption. I want my home - when I build it - to be as "green" and energy efficient as possible. I plan to use recycled materials where appropriate, and low-impact materials like bamboo floors. I want to use SIP construction to make the house energy-tight, and use double or triple glazed windows to control energy loss/uptake thru window openings. I hope to be able to use a geothermal heat pump to heat and cool the home, and I would like to prepare the house to be able to take advantage of higher-efficiency solar cells as they become available down the pike. My long-term goal is a net-zero energy usage home.

12. Attacking Minded

Jun 22, 2002
    Most alternative energy sources, particularly renewables, are extremely expensive and require subsidies to be economically viable. A good example is wind energy where the tax subsidy has recently become an issue link. If I were to make a list of the downsides I would go with:

Current situation: Requires massive exports of oil from the Middle East causing all kinds of trouble there as only a few control the oil and therefore have power.

Coal liquefaction: Requires a big change in environmental laws including increased stream runoff problems, increased sulfur emissions, increased smog, increased greenhouse gasses.

Renewables: Requires massive government subsidies and many renewables produce less energy than they produce so are not really “renewable”.

Coal liquefaction does not require subsidies but does require exemption from many environmental laws. That’s why I made it a two choice poll. I suppose I could have put in a third choice, “economic collapse trying to use renewables”, but I don’t think it’s a real choice. We as a country have been over it plenty of times before and haverejected it. We are willing to pay for the R&D but not for the implementation.

13. Attacking Minded

Jun 22, 2002
    So what's the price per square foot? Can it be justified with energy savings? I don't think it can be.

14. Robert25

Robert25 New Member

Jun 1, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Unless they discover how the secrets behind cold Fusion that would allow a tremenous amount of energy in a clean and cheap way, theres no magic bullet to the energy troubles of the world.

Anyone know when the Middle East is expected to run out of oil? I have heard lots of estimates, some even of a few hundred years. But if/when it happened, that would be the proverbial wrench tossed into the gears of the worlds markets. I reckon alternative energy sources would seem cheap in that senario.

I got to say we can do both, but since everythng takes sacrifices and has strings attached, it will probabley be an energy crisis of global proportions that gets the ball moving faster.

15. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    Then take a look at this.
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6055003/
    True it's in the early stages and isn't on the market but it looks like it won't be overlong before we see more and more prototypes and then the cars will be in the showrooms.
    This is what I've been waiting for. It'll be a long long time before we get over the use of fossil fuels if we ever do in some capacity. Right now, this is a close as we are to the silver bullet.
    Why it's been a long time coming is trying to keep it in stable quantities and it looks as if they're getting over that.

16. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    Sorry, using coal is going backwards. I can't believe it's even an issue. It's messy, hard on the environment and it certainly is not inexpensive.
    Somebody right now is making a lot of money in subsidized research but it's not the panacea for replacing oil we buy.
    Not quite sure what this means?
    I'll agree with the wind machines, they're as ugly and as obtrusive as a coal mine.

Here is a bit of info on "Todays" costs on Hydrogen. With mass production for auto usage this is sure to drop. Far cleaner, healthier, little or no immission problems. Compare that to coal.
    So gas around here is just about $2.25...work it out.

17. lurking

lurking Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    IIRC in France electricity production has been almost entirely nuclear powered. Its safe, and relatively speaking doesnt effect the environment at large.

usscouse, as for pure hydrogen for fueling vehicles, you are talking about produced from some form electricity. That means to do it on a large scale economicly you are back to coal (although coal power plants probably burn far cleaner than an engine running the product of coal liquification) or nuclear. Or hydro. Personally if you consider the technical and scientific merits, nuclear makes a TON of sense, but well sense, environmentalism, and energy policy are not on speaking terms in this country.

18. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    Unfortunately true, using fossil, carbon based fuels is still a little hard on the environment and global warming (Same thing, I guess) That's why nuclear energy could be useful. Does anybody know what the French do with the waste??? ....Scary thought knowing the frogs.

19. |--LdC--|

|--LdC--| New Member

Nov 16, 2003
    Lisboa/Portugal
    Close this thread, BP and Shell don´t like it.

20. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.ourcoolhouse.com/

Some of the technologies have a ways to go yet, but that doesn't mean I can't prepare. It's difficult to work up a $/sqft cost when I don't have a floor plan (we are probably *years* from building on our land). I just have a list of objectives, some of which will undoubtedly not make the final project. Bamboo floors run from $4-$8 per square foot. Geothermal systems are more expensive to install, but do realize a significant savings in power consumption and efficiency. I'm also not afraid to spend more upfront if the increased quality means lower replacement/maintenance costs down the line (I would very much like to use a standing-seam or synthetic (recycled rubber) slate roofing, both of which would last muchlonger than 30-year shingles, and be better suited for adding water collection capabilities).

I think that some of the costs "above and beyond" standard building costs would be recouperated by savings in energy usage. Some of those "additional costs" would be free (orientation on site and choice of floorplan to maximize passive solar efficiency), and some would not. My wife and I also feel that being lower impact has positive value, and are willing to pay some more when we can afford it to buy that. And if the house is well designed, I'll be well positioned to take advantage of lower cost, higher efficiency solar panels in 20, 30, 40 years. I plan to build my house to last, and it needs to be prepared for the (uncertain) future.

Frankly, I'm not one to throw up my hands and give up because there isn't a clear path to a clean, energy efficient future. If everyone in the US could reduce their energy consumption by 20%, the impact would be huge. That's a positive first step! Better fuel efficiency in automobiles would be tremendous. Better public transit would help. Better regional land use management would help. There are so many things we could be doing better, and I think it's criminal not to be doing any of them.

21. SoFla Metro

SoFla Metro Member

Jul 21, 2000
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL

Write down the time and place. I agree with peledre.

22. -cman-

-cman- New Member

Apr 2, 2001
    Clinton, Iowa
    I'm short on time and can't do one of my usual heavilly footnoted diatribes. However, I think that the poll question poses a false dichotomy. There are lots of ways to achieve energy independence with improved environmental conditions.

I think the question is predicated on the assumption that energy independence equals meeting our energy budget with petroleum products at the current rate of their use in the energy budget. Again a false assumption and one that very few people on either side of the aisle consder a viable long-term solution.

The first method of dual achievement is through conservation. This can either be done through leadership and consious choice, or through market pricing.
    I feel that post-9/11 was a massive opportunity lost by leaders in both parties, but especially by the Administration. It was at that time that patriotic feeling was at it's peak and the public would in all likelyhood have responded well to admonitions to conserve energy in the interests of the war, to stick it in the eye of the Saudis, or just because it was our national duty. But instead the Administration simply sent out a message that essentially said, "go on about your business as usual and consume like crazy to build the economy back up."

Of course no one at this time would dare to presume to tell the American people that their SUV's and tank-like 4x4s are supremely unpatriotic and contributing to the imminent collapse of the economic recovery. Total lack of leadership on the issue.

But the supply-demmand squeze is going to keep oil prices high for some time and the consume market will eventually react. I've heard many of the partners in our office -- who to a man drive huge vehicles under the business vehicle write off -- bitching about gas prices and vowing to sell the things if it goes on much longer. If it goes on much longer you won't be able to give a way an Escalade, but that's a different thread ;)

So, increasing prices will probably drive up conservation at the consumer level. It will also make alternative energy -- including unfortunately coal liquification -- more attractive on the pure market level without price supports. Wind and nuclear can probably begin to take up some of the growth needs.

On coal liquification. Attacking Minded, you look like you have a good handle on the technical aspects. But, I think you are overlooking macroeconomic and political aspects. The Chinese aren't hot and bothered over coal liquification because it has all of a sudden become really economic; although as oil prices rise it does start to look better. China wants to use coal because they have **********loads of the stuff and doing so allows them to maintain a modicum of energy independence. At their present rate of growth they are going to surpass the US sometime in the mid to late teens. That's a phenomenal amount of hydrocarbons they are going to need and the world's oil production just can't meet it. China currently produces about 40% of it's own energy needs. They need to keep that number reasonably stable. It's just their mindset.

On the macroeconomic side I'm just not seeing how coal liquification can really be economically sound outside of $80/bbl crude. The energy inputs required to get good quality, low-sulfur petrochemicals out are always going to make it a last-ditch effort. I'd rather leave the stuff in the ground for the day when we need it to make the things we need, clothes, auto bodies, medical supplies, etc. than to fuel our gas addiction.

23. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax

nice post, but let me stop you right here - he did say "if you had to choose" - i still think this poll speaks volumes about the 12 folks who voted against a clean environment... and since they are a group and thereore it would not be a "personal attack", i shall feel completely free to imply that they are quite simply a shameless, nauseating, selfish lot

24. DoyleG

DoyleG Member+

CanPL
    Canada
    Jan 11, 2002
    YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Nah. Your just not educated enough.

We know that the forms of energy that can make a nation self-sufficent are more green than what is normally used.

We see though the black and white you liberals love to put up.

25. Attacking Minded

Jun 22, 2002
    I don’t think so but I've never been able to get a handle on the costs of renewable energy technologies like solar cells or wind. I understand that wind is more viable and I think I could track that down. I do know that companies are deeply disappointed they've lost their tax credits this year. link

Isn’t market pricing just another word for energy tax? If so that's not a very popular choice. Even Clinton couldn’t get that to pass in a democratic congress in '93. Even an energy tax would not have been right as energy independence means more specifically oil independence. That means we need to replace oil with something else or reduce the number of miles Americans drive by half or doubling fleet mileage.

Either way we face choices.

The Chinese are stating a cost of 30 to $35 per barrel. I can't vouch for that but that's what is in print.

But the US also has **********loads of the stuff and produces a fraction of it's own energy. The Chinese have made a choice and if you know about China they have huge pollution problems. There has been a state decision to sacrifice everything, including the environment, for industry. We, the US, have not. We decide to have cheap cleaner foreign oil rather than cheap, dirty liquefied coal.