UNCAF Torneo Interclubes [R]

Discussion in 'Central America: Clubs' started by gohb, Sep 23, 2004.

1. gohb

gohb Member

Apr 27, 2001
    The tournament got under way Tuesday with first-leg action.

Tuesday's results:

Diriangen (Nicaragua) 0-2 FAS (El Salvador)
    Kultur Yabra (Belice) 0-0 Alianza (El Salvador)

Wednesday's results:

Boca FC (Belize) 0-1 Olimpia (Honduras)
    Plaza Amador (Panama) 2-1 Coban Imperial (Guatemala)

I saw the Plaza-Coban game on GolTV. Plaza dominated the second half, came from 0-1 down to win, and could easily have won by more. Great days for Panamanian football!

2. gohb

gohb Member

Apr 27, 2001
    Thursday's results:

Real Esteli (Nicaragua) 1-1 Real España (Honduras)
    Tauro (Panama) 0-3 Herediano (Costa Rica)

3. MoRado

MoRado New Member

Feb 6, 2004
    San José. Costa Rica
    Club:
    Deportivo Saprissa
    Nat'l Team:
    Costa Rica

good start for Heredia, last time they played in the "champion league" was 10 years ago, hopely they do a good job and qualify to the final rounds, cause they are in this tournament instead of the Champion, Alajuela, that didnt qualify.... (Isn't stupid that the champion of the champion's cup is not on the tournament???)

4. HONDUGOL

HONDUGOL New Member

Sep 11, 2004
    Olimpia won the chance to play at the last Club W.C in Spain that never happened. They beat teams like Toluca, Pachuca to advance to the final where they lost ot L.A. Galaxy.
    Is probably they will never get a better chance.

5. gohb

gohb Member

Apr 27, 2001
    Last night's results:

Olimpia (Honduras) 5-0 Boca FC (Belize)
    (Olimpia advances on aggregate 6:0)

Coban Imperial (Guatemala) 3-2 Plaza Amador (Panama)
    (aggregate 4-4; Plaza Amador advances on away goals)

Unfortunately GolTV showed the Olimpia-Boca game. The Belize club had a few decent midfielders, but were outclassed by a half-strength Olimpia. The Coban-Plaza game was apparently very exciting:

http://www.prensalibre.com/pl/2004/septiembre/29/98438.html
    http://www.prensa.com/hoy/deportes/38931.html

6. Rusty_Shackleford

Mar 24, 2004
    whoa, does anyone have a Gol TV schedule for these games? any help would be much appreciated...also, are they going to show the Champions Cup games on Gol TV?

7. gohb

gohb Member

Apr 27, 2001
    You can get the GolTV schedule from their own site:

http://www.goltv.tv

or Oliver Tse's great omnibus site:

http://216.197.100.221

I haven't heard anything about the Champions Cup yet.

8. gohb

gohb Member

Apr 27, 2001
    Wednesday night's results:

Herediano (Costa Rica) 3-0 Tauro (Panama)
    (Herediano advances on aggregate 6-0)

Real España (Honduras) 3-3 Real Esteli (Nicaragua)
    (aggregate 4-4; Real Esteli advances on away goals)

Incredible game in Honduras, via GolTV. The first half was strictly routine, with the home side dominating possession and leading 2-0. Figuring the game was won, the coach made 3 substitutions at halftime, including the keeper. With the Hondurans seeming uninterested, Esteli came alive and got two early goals in the second half, one on a keeper mistake. Only a few minutes later, though, they had a player red-carded. España got the third goal, and it looked like it was over, but they fell asleep on a set piece, and Esteli equalized in the 76th minute. Only a few minutes from time España apparently scored the winner on a header off a cross, but it was disallowed for offside. The replay showed two attackers had been offside, but the man who headed it in had been onside.

Amazing result, the first time a Nicaraguan club had ever advanced over a Honduran club. One Honduran paper called Real España "una verguenza nacional."

9. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Interesting...

Concacaf uses the away goal tiebreaker this year.

10. Eric B

Eric B Member

Feb 21, 2000
    the LBC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One less excuse for people to ignore this tournament then ;)

11. gohb

gohb Member

Apr 27, 2001
    Last night's results:

Alianza (El Salvador) 5-2 Kulture Yabra (Belize)
    (Alianza advances on aggregate 5-2)

FAS (El Salvador) 7-0 Diriangen (Nicaragua)
    (FAS advances on aggregate 9-0)

GolTV showed the FAS massacre. Diriangen put up a decent show in the first half, then collapsed.

Second round matchups (starts October 19):

Alianza (El Salvador) - Municipal (Guatemala)
    FAS (El Salvador) - Plaza Amador (Panama)
    Real Esteli (Nicaragua) - Saprissa (Costa Rica)
    Herediano (Costa Rica) - Olimpia (Honduras)

12. MoRado

MoRado New Member

Feb 6, 2004
    San José. Costa Rica
    Club:
    Deportivo Saprissa
    Nat'l Team:
    Costa Rica
    Easy games for Herediano, even their oldest player Austin Berry, that is almost 40 and has beeing watching the games in TV for the last 2 seasons scored a goal !!!!

Un-fu.cking-believable!!!!!!! Congratulations to the Nica team!!!!!, i think thats the first time ever that a nicaraguan team qualifies to the next round....
    Now they have to play Saprissa!!!!!!
    Does anybody know a way to get GOLTV in CR_?

13. JG

JG Member+

Jun 27, 1999
    That probably makes Real Espana the victim of the two biggest upsets in CONCACAF Champions Cup history, the other coming in 1997 when they lost 4-1 at home to Juventus of Belize after winning the away leg 1-0.

14. gohb

gohb Member

Apr 27, 2001
    I was browsing through rsssf.com and found that in 1992, Real Espana lost to a USA club called the SF Bay Blackhawks 0-6 on aggregate (both games were played in SF). That seems crazy, but in the next round those same Blackhawks lost only 3-4 on aggregate to none other than America. Some guy named Hugo Sanchez scored 3 of America's 4 goals. Does anyone know anything about that Blackhawks club?

15. gohb

gohb Member

Apr 27, 2001
    Did some research. That team had a lot of future MLSers, like Paul Bravo, John Doyle, Dominic Kinnear, Danny Pena, Mark Semioli, Paul Holocher, and one very big name, Eric Wynalda (although judging from the dates, he must have left the team for Saarbrucken in Germany before the games against America, and maybe the Real Espana games too).

Here's the site with the team stats:

http://a-leaguearchive.tripod.com/1992/stats92.htm

16. JG

JG Member+

Jun 27, 1999
    Yeah, Wynalda was gone before they played America--I think he actually got dumped because he didn't get along with the coaches.

Against America the Blackhawks looked to have scored the tying goal late in the match, but it was disallowed by the (American) ref.

17. numerista

numerista New Member

Mar 21, 2004
    I think that the ref, Jose Ortiz, was Costa Rican. According to the SF Chronicle write-up, he awarded a "hotly disputed" penalty to the Mexicans; however, the Blackhawks equalizer was disallowed by an American linesman.

18. ETSC

ETSC Member

Jul 5, 2004
    Rudel Calero scored twice for Estelí. He scores a ton for the NCA national side as well. Is he considered an prospect upstream?

19. gohb

gohb Member

Apr 27, 2001

He's either 21 or 22 (I've seen conflicting reports), and they have high hopes for him in Nicaragua. Earlier in the year there were reports he was going to get a tryout with an MLS club, but if anything came of it I didn't see it.

20. LN - Dougg

LN - Dougg Member

Aug 26, 2004
    Dale City, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    El Salvador
    Is there an official website for the tourney?

21. gohb

gohb Member

Apr 27, 2001
    The official CONCACAF site is the only one I know of, but it has older material on it as well:

http://www.concacaf.com/view_section.asp?id=1

22. LN - Dougg

LN - Dougg Member

Aug 26, 2004
    Dale City, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    El Salvador
    Yeah, I got that site.. they're "alright" I wanted more indepth stuff though.. like the history of the tournament, past winners, etc...

Thanks.

23. ETSC

ETSC Member

Jul 5, 2004
  24. gohb

gohb Member

Apr 27, 2001
    Quarterfinals start tonight with Alianza-Municipal. GolTV has the game on tape delay at midnight Eastern.