Possible SLC MLS players: Expansion Roster

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by SoccerPrime, Sep 22, 2004.

1. JoeW

JoeW New Member

Apr 19, 2001
    Northern Virginia, USA
    As of right now, Countess is still P-40. He might graduate at the end of the season but I don't know one way or the other. Given that teams can protect an additional player once won is taken, they may chose to expose both Ring and Thornton knowing that if one is taken they can then pull the other one back. I think they'd definitely protect Pause (who's younger and cheaper) over Brown. They cannot expose Selowane, Boucicaut and Herren b/c you're allowed to only expose one SI. So be assured that one of those 3 will be available.

As for who gets taken, the other wildcard has to do with who's contract is up. For instance, if Selowane's is up and he's looking to go overseas, then selecting him is a wasted choice.

2. prk166

prk166 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    A look at the A-league for some talent is in order. I'd be interested in nabbin' Sutton from Montreal. Brannon from MN is another player to looks at.

3. swedcrip34

swedcrip34 New Member

Mar 17, 2004
    Countess makes $100,000 a year so that's why I think he'll be graduated. I think teams might surprise us by protecting overpaid older players like Joe-Max and Stewart. I don't see CHI letting Brown go though it might be smarter to protect younger players.

4. ChrisE

ChrisE Member

Jul 1, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    Regardless, Glen's not a loan player. He was acquired by the Metrostars using what I believe was the Mathis allocation.

(Out of curiosity, do you have a citation for the Taylor option?)

5. ilvfutbol

ilvfutbol New Member

Mar 12, 2004
    As I stated before i am a utah soccer fan and have watched the blitzz for a few years. All this keeper chatter makes me wonder if the keeper for the Blitzz has a chance to get a look at the squad(Sacket). He has a little Jon Busch in him. Also, what about Matt Evans, Guttieres, Goodfellow, and Estrada. Any other Blitzz fans have any input or knowledge as to what these guys are doing and if they will give the MLS team a try???

6. swedcrip34

swedcrip34 New Member

Mar 17, 2004
    There are so many quality backups in MLS (compared to field players) that I think SLC will be able to get their keepers through the draft.

7. jasoncox

jasoncox New Member

Jun 28, 2004
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Will retiring players be gone before the expansion draft or will they factor in? There are several SI players that are retiring after this season like Herzog and Spencer. Will a team possibly have to protect these players or will the official retirement happen before the draft, officially removing them from the team's roster?

8. prk166

prk166 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    I'm not trying to be a prick, just straight forward. Am I understanding you correctly in that you're asking if the folks making draft choices for SLC would be uninformed enough to draft players that had previously announced their retirement? I'm asking this cause the answer seems straigh forward but maybe I'm not gettin' the jest of the question right.

9. swedcrip34

swedcrip34 New Member

Mar 17, 2004
    Would a team pick a player like Spencer, he retires, and then the expansion team might get an allocation?

10. jasoncox

jasoncox New Member

Jun 28, 2004
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Allow me to eloborate and clarify:

A team is only allowed to protect 12 senior roster players and they can only leave one SI unprotected. The more SI's that have to be protected, the fewer spots they have to protect their other talent.

On Zman's team-by-team list he didn't include the retiring players in his list of protected/unprotected. In Colorado's case, Stewart is known to be retiring at the end of the year and is a SI. Zman had Powell listed as unprotected by Colorado. However, if Stewart's retirement did not go into effect until AFTER the draft, Colorado would be forced to either leave him unprotected and protect Powell or vice-versa. This would then leave them with one less protected player on Zman's list.

So, I wasn't suggesting that SLC would draft a retiring player. I was wondering if retiring SI's would be a factor in the expansion draft.

11. numerista

numerista New Member

Mar 21, 2004
    It was in a NY Times piece by Jack Bell around the time Taylor and Glen were acquired ... if you like, I could try and dig it up.

12. Zman Gunner

Zman Gunner BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 7, 2003
    Middletown, DE
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I did include retired players on my updated full roster post a few days ago for the well-known retirements (i.e. Spencer, Herzog, Hong) - I was not aware of lesser players like Stewart and their retirement plans. I assumed that these players retire the day after the season ends and the current team keeps whatever allocation that they are entitled to get for the player (no protection required for Expansion Draft). Like graduating P-40's, there has been no official announcement from MLS (as far as I have seen) as to how retiring players fit into the puzzle called the Expansion Draft.

13. ChrisE

ChrisE Member

Jul 1, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    That's all right, I found it:

"Taylor came to the MetroStars from the Harbour View club in Kingston, acquired on a one-year loan for about $70,000 with an option to purchase his contract, which would cost M.L.S. about $200,000."

Surprisingly pricey for a guy from the Jamaican league.

14. Aljarov

Aljarov Member

Sep 14, 2004
    fmnorthamerica.com
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I remember one of the Jamacian's going to the EPL for 1m (pounds, sorry no symbol), about $1.8m. It was either Gardner or Johnson I think? And that was straight from the Jamacian league.

15. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I don't see Diego Walsh being protected - in fact they will probably waive either Walsh or Rasovic as Shavar Thomas is set to become a Senior International next season. I do, however see Alex Zotinca being protected.

They could also leave Diego Gutierrez unprotected, assuming that he's a low risk pick. Remember teams get to protect another player each time one is selected. I don't see Burciaga, Jr. being unprotected. Taylor Graham and Jack Jewsbury also favor heavily in the team's plans. Kerry Zavagnin, who's contract is up, has made noises about going to England - so he may be unprotected as well.

Don't assume that Chivas - despite previous statements - to draft only Spanish speaking players. If they're smart, they'll take the best players available and sort it out later. Francisco Gomez isn't one of the "best available" players.

I suspect the Wizars will likely lose Bo Oshoniyi after his fine performances this season.

16. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Zman, is there any updates to this list?

POSSIBILITIES (20 players)
    G – Zach Thornton (Chicago), Oshoniyi (KC)
    D – Prideaux (DC), Ziadie (MetroStars), Brown (Chicago), Hendrickson (DC), Behncke (Dallas), Zotinca (KC), Broome (LA)
    M – Denton (Columbus), Digiamarino (Colorado), Russell (SJ), Vagenas (LA), Lisi (MetroStars)
    F – Testo (Columbus), Rhine (Dallas), Walker (SJ), Brown (SJ)

17. Izzy

Izzy New Member

May 4, 2004
    the haitian national team is in the U.S right now playing some friendly games. last saturday saw the team playing against St vincent Grenadines and i saw some very good player that can help in the mls. so for the new teams that are looking for good players to help. i would encourage them to contact the haitian national team in Ny today, and maybe set up some trials for some players.

they have a good forward by the name of Dieufene Thelamour he is so dangerous up top.

they also have a great defender by the name of Bruny Pierre Richard.

18. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    I would expect Ellinger to try and take as many of his former Bradenton players who aren't getting a lot of minutes elsewhere.

Guys like DJ Countess, Jordan Stone, Santino Quaranta, Nelson Akwari. Look for Alex Yi to sign with MLS and come to Utah.

Coaches like to surround themselves with players they are familiar with and know them. These guys fit the bill. He's not gonna get Donovan, Marshall and Adu so he has to settle for the above.

These guys won't be the players that carry you to MLS Cup, but they'll give the team, and Ellinger, a solid core of young veterans the type of which all MLS teams need to succeed.

For Utah to flourish on the field, Ellinger will need to add some more dynamic players and I'm sure he will, but his former Brandenton players will be one of the things he builds around.

BTW, Ellinger was also the assistant on the 2000 Olympic team so he might look to some of those guys as well.

19. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A couple of thoughts.
    First, I have added a Potential Players list to the Loyalists website. http://www.geocitieis.com/slc_mls/potential_players.htm
    check it out and please let me know if you have comments. I divided it into Expansion, College and International categories.

Next, I was wonder if anyone knew who this "Mexican-American that plays soccer internationally but who was from Utah originally" was. Pastorino mentioned him in the Teleconference.

20. jasoncox

jasoncox New Member

Jun 28, 2004
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  21. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ha... ha...
    you so funny.
    Now check out the website and tell me what you really think.
    :p

22. tabramos10

tabramos10 New Member

Jul 1, 2001
    SLC
    Loyalists have got to scratch Thornton from the list and add Countess. Anyway, I think he's better, but somewhere along the line Thornton made a big name of himself, and Sarachan's always preferred Ring over Countess.

23. tabramos10

tabramos10 New Member

Jul 1, 2001
    SLC
    Metrostars would be crazy to leave unprotected Lisi or Ziadie. If they were to leave them both, wouldn't they get to protect one more after one had been picked, according to expansion draft rules? So, we are pretty certain not to get both, since they are both awesome players. Really, they are both standouts.

24. tabramos10

tabramos10 New Member

Jul 1, 2001
    SLC
    CJ Brown??? I wouldn't even want him if Chicago did leave him unprotected. That guy's a beast, but his skills aren't worthy of today's standards.

25. Zman Gunner

Zman Gunner BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 7, 2003
    Middletown, DE
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Countess is a P40 player and would not be available in the Expansion Draft (only 6 of each team's 18 senior [i.e. no P40 or developmental players] players will be unprotected and thus available in the Expansion Draft). He could be acquired via trade to reduce the goalie glut in Chicago.