Tremor Girls

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by tremorgirl, Aug 25, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tremorgirl

tremorgirl New Member

Aug 25, 2004
    San Jose
    There has been a lot of controversy during this season regarding us: the Tremor Girls. I just wanted to clear the air....

1) No, we are not Cheerleaders and in fact, very far from it! You should know that most of us girls have already graduated from College or are still in school now....

2) Yes! We are all of "legal age".....

3) Our purpose this season was to add a little "spice" to the game. Greet fans, play with the kids, take pictures, etc. We were there to promote...host the game, if you will. Our purpose was not to strut our bodies around the stadium and "play Jessica Simpson" as we've heard said about us.

4) Being a Tremor Girl is NOT sexist...nor is it degrading to Women. If you feel that a Belly Button is too much to show, then I suggest you stay at home and watch old re-runs of Leave it to Beaver.... Come on, that's just plain ridiculous!

I want to close by saying that working for the EarthQuakes this season was a great experience for me. Most EQ Fans embraced us and treated us with respect. It's great to go to work and have little girls run up to you for a hug, because they remember you from the last game. It's awesome to work for such a great organization and such a great group of fans. Let's not lose hope and all BELIEVE!!!

2. regulator

regulator Member

Apr 25, 2004
    New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i wish they had metro girls.

3. tonyh01

tonyh01 Member

Nov 9, 2003
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On behalf of Soccer Silicon Valley I'd like to say that we appreciate everything you have done, and especially helping us out. I think you are all great. Keep up the good work!

4. yalpstel

yalpstel Member

Oct 12, 2000
    Bay Area, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hi Tremor Girl,

My daughter's and I (I'm a she) chatted with a couple of you last Saturday. One of you actually placed a Quakes tattoo on my adult daughter's arm! :)

The Tremor Girls we talked to were very nice and friendly and seemed genuinely happy to be there!

Maybe this weekend I'll convince my 15 year old son that you won't bite, and you can place a tattoo on his arm?

Welcome to the atmosphere!

p.s. I'm against cheerleaders during a soccer game.

5. billward

billward Member

Oct 22, 2002
    El Cerrito, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I noticed you wrote this all in the past tense. Does this mean there will be no more Tremor Girls this year?

6. JoeDub83

JoeDub83 New Member

Oct 20, 2001
    MISSOULA,MT 420
    In other words forget all the nice things he just said.....I wouldnt mind cheerleaders at games.The Earthquakes probably have them because in between dives and Onstad stalling goal kicks I'm sure there's ample oppurtunity to "focus" on some other entertainment.

7. yalpstel

yalpstel Member

Oct 12, 2000
    Bay Area, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, like Guy in the Casbah or an occasional visit by Krazy George, or the guy with the jesters hat in section 130.

These people, I think, are much more fun to "focus" on.

Like tremorgirl pointed out....they are not cheerleaders. I can see the difference too.

8. shasta

shasta New Member

Mar 8, 2004
    AEG SVCKS
    Had a similiar experience last Saturday with my 8-year old son...we both got tats.....he was kind of in awe! : )

Both of the girls we spoke to were very pleasant, nice kids..

Nice addition to the Earthquake family!

9. bluejaded

bluejaded New Member

Jan 26, 2004
    Somehow, this makes me think of our Texas v California discussion....

And, um, the Earthquakes don't have cheerleaders (thank goodness). I'm glad to be of those who can't see how cheerleaders (of the stereotypical variety) add to a soccer game. People who lead cheers, like that jester hat guy (Was it payday? He got new signs...), are different.

10. billward

billward Member

Oct 22, 2002
    El Cerrito, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Besides, where would they fit in Spartan Stadium???

11. bluejaded

bluejaded New Member

Jan 26, 2004
    The first good reason I've heard to stay at Spartan!

12. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can hear Goodsport, right now, gnashing his teeth at this anti-cheerleader crowd! ;)

I think the Tremor Girls did a great job and that they can stick around a lot longer, 2005, 2006, and on.

13. Bajoro

Bajoro Member+

Sep 10, 2000
    The Inland Empire
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's to Albany58:

The only person on the planet who knows the names and vital statistics of each of the Tremor Girls!

:D

14. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I guess I would feel more charitable toward the TGs if they did seem more like cheerleaders and less like lap dancers who focus on the male 21-34 yo demographic--the same demographic that drinks a lot of beer! And has lots of disposable income because they're single and employed. From a marketing perspective, there's a lot to like about young guys, but from my perspective (never having been a young guy) it's annoying to see the TGs ply their wares while I'm trying to watch the game.

We already have the Blue Crew (also mostly young women, but with an apparently different charter from the TG) who seem perfectly able to hand out tattoos and smile. If I were Alexi, I'd be spending my limited marketing dollars elsewhere.

15. yalpstel

yalpstel Member

Oct 12, 2000
    Bay Area, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I really don't think that is a fair statement. I'm sure lap dancing is not on the resumes of these young women.

And anyway, have you seen any pro sports teams cheerleaders lately (heck, high school for that matter)? Some of the dancing that they do is far more provocative than the tremor girls walking around putting tattoos on kids and handing out schedules in short shorts and belly shirts.

IMHO.

16. Revolt

Revolt Member+

Jun 16, 1999
    Davis, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anyone who brings enthusiasm to the games is a-okay by me.

17. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At this point, I feel compelled to point out that I can name a certain professional soccer team in Texas that doesn't have anything like the Tremor Girls working for them.

Why do I feel compelled to point that out? Oh, I don't know.

Maybe it is I that live in the "state where daughters are encouraged to play sports rather than to merely stand on the sidelines and cheer on the boys," toots.

18. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't be silly, Mike. I'm sure that they already are a "full service" spirit group, and that they do their utmost to make sure that every fan attending a Quakes game has a "happy ending" to his or her evening.

19. JMichaels

JMichaels New Member

Feb 17, 2003
    Segroves, you've got as much class as a proctologist at a nudist camp.

These are California women and girls, not the heffers you have in Oklahoma.

Because someone disagrees with the TGs doesn't mean that they are envious of the opportunity, unless you are the type that needs a stack of $20's to get them to talk to you.

That must be an Oklahoma trait.

20. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I admit I have only seen a few TGs in action, and so my comments are based on my limited impressions (and also my husband's/children's reactions). I realize that other TGs (not the ones I saw) do talk to women and children as well as flirt with guys their age. (As I said when the discussion arose months ago, our neighborhood TGs ignored my kids, and I wouldn't have minded a tattoo myself.)

Also...in my midwestern high school, girls could only be cheerleaders, and the cheerleaders were chosen by popular election, so it was a nasty business and I guess it left its scars. The Stanford Dollies annoy me too, though I'm sure they are all brilliant as well as charming and lovely.

21. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Ha ha, nope, too uncoordinated.

ooh, I think this means you have a crush on me, doesn't it? (We're, uh, like practically getting to be friends!) Just stop by the next time you're at a Quakes game and I will reduce you to a whimpering mass of soggy granola with a few pointed and astonishingly accurate insults. No charge. it will be my pleasure.

22. yalpstel

yalpstel Member

Oct 12, 2000
    Bay Area, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey folks, cut Mikey some slack...he's really just a little softy (and I'm sorry about that Mikey, happens to the best of em).

Love,
    yalpstel

23. JMichaels

JMichaels New Member

Feb 17, 2003
    Tyffanee,
    When you have 12,000+ posts on BigSoccer, you don't get out much...

...unless you are a BigSoccer Moderator and this is your job in life...

24. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ah, BJR, you exaggerate my capabilities, but for the time being I will accept those accolades. Just don't ask me any questions. :D
    I've never asked those girls to go get a beer for me, have I? Hmmmmm.

25. sj_quakes_fan

sj_quakes_fan Member

May 18, 2001
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How sad it must be to have to justify yourself on an internet message board.... I've never had a job that's given me the need to do that.

Enough said.