USA U20, Mexico U20 Dallas Cup 2010

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by marcovidaltigre, Feb 3, 2010.

1. marcovidaltigre

marcovidaltigre New Member

Aug 3, 2007
    [FONT=’Verdana’]www.dallascup.com[/FONT]

USA U20 VS Mexico U20 March 28,2010 Opening game

[FONT=’Verdana’]The 2010 Super Group will have Tottenham Hotspur FC & Chelsea FC (England), Cruzeiro EC (Brazil), Eintracht Frankfurt & TSG 1899 Hoffenheim (Germany), the Mexican National Team (91/92), the Japanese National Team (91/92) and the USA National Team (91/92), CF Monterrey, Tigres & CD Guadalajara (Mexico), Liga Deportivo Alajuelense (Costa Rica), Vancouver Whitecaps (Canada), CZ Elite (California-USA), FC Dallas (Texas-USA) and Dallas Texans (Texas-USA).[/FONT]

[FONT=’Verdana’]“Now that the 16 teams have been selected the “fun” begins in determining the four team groups for the preliminary round of the competition” states Tournament Manager Randy Jones. “With these outstanding teams each of the four groups will present outstanding football for the fans in the Dallas area. For the first time in the 31 year history of the Dallas Cup we will have three National teams in the Super Group. The National teams from Mexico, Japan and the United States will showcase the players (born in 1991 and 1992) that they have identified for the Under 20 FIFA World Cup in Colombia in 2011.”[/FONT]

2. Aaryque

Aaryque Member

Apr 26, 2007
    Norcal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know this might be a silly question, but is there any chance that Renken and Gyau show up with Hoffenheim?

3. pwip

pwip Member

Jul 10, 2004
    Dallas
    Well Dallas Cup has strategically surrounded Gyau and Renken. They only have 3 choices, US, Whitecaps or TSG.

4. Aaryque

Aaryque Member

Apr 26, 2007
    Norcal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh, I didn't see Whitecaps in there. I guess it would make more sense that they would appear with Vancouver.

5. TheClockworkOrange

Jun 20, 2008
    is it verified that Mexico and US will open against eachother? Or was that just a guess/wishful thinking? That matchup would be an exciting way to open the tournament, either right before or right after the opening ceremonies.

6. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    Or Tigres :p

7. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It'll be interesting to see who Rongen has on the roster. I doubt any European players will be released and I am sure the MLS based players won't be there.

Maybe a few European guys who are just in academies will be there..but it's a stretch.

It will probably be just NCAA players along with various players from US youth teams.

8. boomersooner027

May 13, 2004
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    Bahamas
    Mexico V USA is the opening night game

9. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    It's been a while since a US youth national team has participated in the Dallas Cup. I can't remember the last time...........

But you'd certainly think any yanks with a hint of playing time in MLS or Europe wouldn't play for us there. But I wouldn't be surprised if some guys like Jack McInerney and Luis Gil are made available.

10. bshredder

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gil yes

Herold maybe

McInerney, Okugo, Ibrahim probably not

11. pwip

pwip Member

Jul 10, 2004
    Dallas
    You think they will be in heavy rotation with the 1st team already?

12. bshredder

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think with McInerney and Okugo it is absolutely necessary they stay with Philly since they are a new team and it isn't even known who will be important. They could be regulars from the first game.

13. c. williams

c. williams New Member

Mar 27, 2008
    tampa
    Amobi and Jack have a REALLY good chance. I have talked to some people that matter and they are very high on them.

14. TheClockworkOrange

Jun 20, 2008
    Okugo is a beast. I could definitely see him getting minutes with the Union from day 1.

15. bshredder

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Which is why I doubt you will see either of them in Dallas

I doubt you see them or the Euros.

So no

McInerney
    Okugo
    Herold
    Ibrahim
    Lletget
    Picault
    Packwood
    G. Garza
    Agbossoumonde
    Benjaminsen
    Hoyos
    Shinsky (b/c injury)

Then you have players who may not go because they could be close to a contract

Martinez
    Gil
    Agudelo

16. pwip

pwip Member

Jul 10, 2004
    Dallas
  17. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
  18. dfwtinman

dfwtinman New Member

Apr 17, 2006
    usa vs. mexico will be the feature match opening night.

19. pwip

pwip Member

Jul 10, 2004
    Dallas
  20. pwip

pwip Member

Jul 10, 2004
    Dallas
    http://www.philadelphiaunion.com/Content1.aspx?cid=1.9

There is a nice healthy gap for the Union boys to make a visit.

21. boomersooner027

May 13, 2004
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    Bahamas
    Nothing gets by you

22. dfwtinman

dfwtinman New Member

Apr 17, 2006
    lol, I get your point, the title of the OP said the "opening game", but it will actually be the last of the 3 first day stadium games. Another poster asked if this was confirmed, so I was just confirming. And, reading too fast I missed another post indicating this would be the last Sunday game night. But touche :)

23. boomersooner027

May 13, 2004
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    Bahamas
    A little USA vs England or more specifically Dallas vs London before the main event should be real nice too

Dallas Texans v Tottenham 1PM
    FC Dallas v Chelsea 3PM

24. dfwtinman

dfwtinman New Member

Apr 17, 2006
    Historically, the Dallas U19 Dallas Classic League winner was given the "honor" of playing the "feature match" (the last game) on the opening night, and until the '81 Comets beat the Corinthians, it was often rather lop-sided affair.

But, since the change to PHP, the emphasis has switched to the match which projects to have the best "gate." Hence, a few years ago ManU played Real Madrid in the "feature match", even though that required placing them in the same bracket (there were only 12 SG teams then-- but the tourney frankly just couldn't "risk" them not meeting up, but could always hope they'd both go through, one as a wild card (I believe both teams were called ahead of time, graciously agreed and understood the reasoning for the pairings long before the tourney).

Imagine Chelsea not being the feature match? Or Spurs being the early match? Shows you the tourney is really growing stronger and stronger. Both Dr. Pepper and now Nike have and will prove to be fantastic sponsors (not that their predecessors sponsors weren't also magnificent).

I suspect the 2 Dallas teams you mention will "compete", but it depends (sometimes the big Euro clubs don't always bring their "A" teams, but, more and more , they've figured out that was a mistake).

Naturally, this being a WC year, the USA-Mexico Match seemed a good fit. That plus watching 82,000 mostly Mexico supporters fill up the new Cowboy Stadium to play Haiti (I was in the nose bleed seats) in last summer's Gold Cup Qtr.-finals made the game seem likley to be a big draw.

Biggest gate ever was when a Freddy Adu lead USA U17 NT made it to (but lost) finals. "60 Minutes" even covered the match, as that was the hay day of Freddy hype. Besides, doesn't seems like Dallas will get anything but, at best a friendly for the full USA-Mexico MNT,so as not to be so out-numbered in fans.