Fro Adu?

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by awparcell, Aug 19, 2004.

1. awparcell

awparcell New Member

Aug 18, 2004
    KC via st. louis
    Does anybody have any update on the progress of young Fro Adu? Last I heard he was not going to the residency program in bradenton. the mnt will need a solid back in a few years.....or actually now.

2. SABuffalo786

SABuffalo786 New Member

May 18, 2002
    Buffalo, New York
    All our future defenders are in England. Let him play for Ghana. We got the deep end of the Adu gene pool.

3. awparcell

awparcell New Member

Aug 18, 2004
    KC via st. louis
    I agree there is plenty of very good US defensive talent coming up in england. No harm in getting as many as possible in our player pool. i don't understand why some of those guys don't at least come to wcq camp and get them in the mix.

4. GRUNT

GRUNT Member

Feb 27, 2001
    Lake Oswego, OR
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What, he hasn't been capped yet??? Shocking. Fire Bruce now.

The US needs solid backs "now"? Who are you implying needs to go?

5. awparcell

awparcell New Member

Aug 18, 2004
    KC via st. louis
    I wasn't implying fro needs to be capped but some of our defenders breaking into the EPL should at least get called to camp. i like boca and pope....not sure about hedjuk when he is back there.

referring to simek, spector....and maybe whitbread

6. GRUNT

GRUNT Member

Feb 27, 2001
    Lake Oswego, OR
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry! I realize you weren't suggesting he be capped. Just saw an opportunity to be sarcastic. If you are new around here, you will find that posts suggesting his brother be capped by the senior NT and that Arena needs to be fired are comically common.

As for our current depth in defense, I would never complain about getting better players, but I don't think there is any big "need" at this time. Your list of Boca, Pope and Hejduk is just the tip of the iceberg.

7. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    Shouldn't this be in the Youth forum?

Anyway, I had recently been thinking about this kid. What is his current status (club team, ODP, U-17 residency, etc)?

And isn't he supposedly already several inches taller than Freddy?

8. awparcell

awparcell New Member

Aug 18, 2004
    KC via st. louis

agreed, just looking down the road a bit.

our future up front seems to be a bit more stable which is a nice change-having some scorers that is.

9. awparcell

awparcell New Member

Aug 18, 2004
    KC via st. louis
    Yes, heard he was pushing 5'10. I was basically looking to find out where he was playing myself??? Anyone???? Bueller???

10. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A co-worker of mine had his son entered in some sort of event the weekend of the all-star game here in DC. I believe it could have been a sporting event catered to the Jewish community, but I can't remember right now (my coworker is now on vacation, so i can't ask). His son had previously played against Freddy when Freddy was still playing in this area and has seen Fro many times. He told me a year or two ago that Fro was about 5'10". Long story short, Fro was apparently a "guest" linesman for the game. My coworker said that now, Fro looks to be at least 6' tall or possibly 6'1" (my coworker is 5'11"). As for where he is playing now ........ wish I could help you.

11. IMOX77

IMOX77 New Member

Jun 15, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Let him play for Ghana?

Maybee i missed the sarcasm

What future defenders in the Premiership are locks to be quality defenders for the future?

Boca will be around for a while. I would say out of the young ones Spector is the only lock to be a quality player the others to me its still up in the air. Fro was also born in 1991 as said before we can never have enough quality in the player pool.

12. IMOX77

IMOX77 New Member

Jun 15, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Here is some info on Fro from a couple of months ago

https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=116591

13. smith07

smith07 New Member

Mar 26, 2004
    how old is he?

14. Yankee_Blue

Yankee_Blue New Member

Aug 28, 2001
    New Orleans area

Err... I mean, um 12.

15. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    Are there any photos of him floating around anywhere?

16. bostonsoccermdl

bostonsoccermdl Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Denver, CO

Bradenton Academy.

17. jeffmefun

jeffmefun Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Quakeland, CA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've heard he's pretty good, but can he really float around??? :D

18. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A story in the paper yesterday (washington post) which is an interview with his mother, says that he is currently a defender with Georgetown Prep. Academy and that he is 13 years old. I guess you can't get any more definitive than his mother.

19. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Yeah, and he's a sophomore this season.

Imagine graduating from HS at 16 and being the slacker in your family. This kid is gonna need some serious self-confidence to not feel insecure about not living up to his brother. Here's hoping he gets it by being a bad-ass sweeper... or an A student.... or both!

Here's another weird thought - this kid could get to Bradenton and already be done with HS.

20. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    If he isn't invited to Bradenton very soon, something is odd. Who the hell else in the U.S. is good enough to play high school soccer at age 12?

21. Tmagic77

Tmagic77 Member+

Feb 10, 2003
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I suppose that depends on what highschools you're talking about. I think Eric Ortega (region II midfielder) could have played on some of the high school teams I played against when he was 12. Those were some really bad teams though.

22. IMOX77

IMOX77 New Member

Jun 15, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Your right people are going to be putting a lot on his shoulders but if he is as mentally strong as his brother he should be fine.

I wouldnt be suprised if he enters residency this time next year when most of the 90's will enter.

23. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Yeah, you're right.

I know a kid who starts for one of the best club teams in the state but is on JV soccer team as a sophomore, and another player on an OK club team who starts on varsity as a freshman. The difference is, the former high school team is good and the latter is not.

24. metroflip73

metroflip73 Member

Mar 3, 2000
    NYC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He goes to GTown Prep. If he washes out as a soccer player, he can go to a top tier school instead, and there's nothing wrong with that.

OR

He could play college ball at a Jesuit institution in the ACC, you know, BOSTON COLLEGE!!!

Ya figure, Charlie Davids is there, why not Fro? Hehe.

25. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    the same article i quoted from says that he is 13, and i think (?) that he is quite near 14.