Mike Ammann interview in the current 90 Minutes

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by Dr. Wankler, Aug 6, 2004.

1. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I don't think this has been posted, if so: mods feel free to delete.

http://www.90soccer.com/90MinutesArticle.html

I'm not sure how long it will stay up at the 90 Minutes site, or even if it can be hotlinked, but it's a pretty scathing interview concerning the way MLS treats its players. There are other things, too, but that will stand out.

90:00 What don’t they get?
    AMMANN They don’t know how to treat people—they don’t treat the players well and they don’t treat the fans well either; they just keep bumbling along. Until they get people who understand the game involved in it, it’s always going to be that way. It doesn’t have to be the former players who were stars; it just needs to be someone who understands what the desires of the fans are.

2. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not saying the league is perfect or thatAmmann isn't entitled to his opinion, but you've got a guy who got screwed by a poor decision after a horrible injury then had another injury that ended his career.

He's got a right to be bitter. Doesn't mean I agree with him on anything, but he's certainly not the first ex-player in a league to complain about how he was treated. I'd just take the statement that "nothing has changed" with a pound of salt considering the situation with the union.

3. gwebster

gwebster New Member

Aug 30, 2002
    Bethany, CT
    Damn, that was a good article, thanks for posting the link. I always liked Mike Ammann.

4. Metros Striker10

Metros Striker10 New Member

Jul 7, 2001
    Planet Earth
    Nice find. Mike always appeared to be a hard working player with the Metros, so I'm taking his word for it. Who wouldn't have a grudge knowing that you broke three ribs and had your lung punctured by a guy that's no longer wanted in this league, and now that you're retired, you don't recieve a pension. I totally agree with what he said about the Project-40. What if their soccer careers don't pan out?

5. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He signed a contract knowing there wouuld be no pension. I understand that it sucks, but it's not like they sprung it on him at the end of his career.

6. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Actually, the P-40 program also puts some money into an account for the players to go to college after their playing days are over.

Sachin

7. _chachi

_chachi New Member

Mar 15, 1999
    new jersey, usa
    he complains about the lack of a pension. hey mike, most companies don't provide a pension! open up an ira like everybody else.

8. Jacen McCullough

Nov 23, 1998
    Maryland

He also came over here to develop the league. It's at least possible that he thought that player relations/benefits would grow at the same pace as the league. That hasn't really happened yet. The league inches ever closer to profitability, yet the players still have no real negotiating power and the salary cap has stagnated (I'm not one of the folks demanding that it be doubled or anything rash like that, but a modest increase of 50-100k would go a long way towards helping some players out).

People like to talk about the group of players who came into MLS to give it legitimacy and grow a US league. I'm not trying to slight the Meola's, the Ramos' or the Harkes' out there, but nobody mentions Amman that much. The WC' 94 Nats had mostly made their money. Amman was approaching a Euro payday. He paid his own transfer fee to come home and help build up MLS. He was great with the fans of at least two of the teams he played for (I don't know how his relationship was with KC fans). His payment for that was to watch as the league let an assault go unpunished. His payment for that was to be traded after being assured that he was not going to be traded (by which point he had entered into some business ventures in the NJ area). His payment for that was to be cut loose by the league once he became damaged goods. Mike Amman helped build this league and was great to the fans who supported it. He gave of himself physically, emotionally and financially to make sure the league became what it is today (approaching profitability rather than bleeding money).

He has every right to be bitter.

9. Brownswan

Brownswan New Member

Jun 30, 1999
    Port St. Lucie, FL
    Hire Mike Ammann to coach SLC.

They could do worse -- in fact, I'm sure they will.

10. SamPierron

SamPierron BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 30, 1998
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He had a great relationship with KC fans.

11. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Next time you quote one of my posts so you can be the good guy, do me a favor and quote the part where I say the same thing you do. K? I'm sure Mike has lots of valid points, but the pension is one I don't have any sympathy for.

MLS players bitching because they don't get a pension is like a guy bitching about his wife not being into threesomes with another chick when he knows she is straight. You might want it, but you knew going in that it wasn't in the cards.

12. Casper

Casper Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    New York
    Ammann does that too.

13. Jacen McCullough

Nov 23, 1998
    Maryland

Jeez Monster, take a breath. Skip a day of work and get laid or something. I didn't (nor did I mean to imply) that you stated he had no right to be bitter. The only part of my post that was even meant to be directed towards you was the first paragraph (the one talking about the pension and why he might have felt one would eventually come).

The rest was partly in response to a couple of posts that seemed harsh towards Ammann to me, and mostly just to expound on why he had every right to be bitter (as opposed to someone like Ian Bishop). It was never meant to come off as an attack on you, I don't personally think the post came off that way, and certainly not enough to justify the tirade left both here and in the (relatively ridiculous) "reputation bin." Relax a bit. I have no interest in playing "the good guy."

14. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Simple solution - don't quote me when you play high and mighty.

And don't give me advice on how to handle myself. Save that for the Szetelas.

15. Wile Coyote

Wile Coyote Red Card

Sep 21, 2000
    Punta del Este, Uru.
    Club:
    Club Nacional de Football
    Mike Ammann was a true fan fav in NJ a nice guy a good keeper and a class act... He got th shaft in NJ because the GM is an IDIOT and always has been. This is the same GM that lies about actual attendence the same guy who also fired Tommy Smith because Tommy spoke the truth about the metro"stars" over the air if he had to say that NJ sucked he said it. The same GM who almost made bradley quit.. Nick is a classless scumbag he was in tampa he still is one now.. Perhaps Mike would think a little different if he was with a more Pro club like DC United or the Galaxy or the Fire...I'm sure they run a different ship and treat their staff and players way better.. perhaps mike will push so that players in the future can have better working benefits and better retirement plans... i think he was treated like garbage in the end but I wont blame MLS for this I blame the biggest garbage called the NJ Metrostars they were totaly classless but then again look who runs that garbage outfit poor mans Milan...

16. Thomas A Fina

Thomas A Fina Member

Mar 29, 1999
    Hell
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No - Mike was let go because Tim Howard was better and ready to take the #1 shirt.

and since at the end of his career he was with DC, how can you blame Nick for how he was left off. Nick does enough things wrong without having to resort to making up stuff.

I remember Amman being really pissed off at the time he retired and had some very nasty things to say about MLS FO.

I also agree with Jacen in that we have to raise the salary cap and start paying players a little more come 2006. There is no reason why say Chris Carrieri should be plying his trade in the A-League or that players are going to Bodens and Aarhus (Steve Shak excepted. Piece of suck). If they don't MLS is gonna be hurting in the long run.

and they still shot the wrong Diallo

17. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, there is. It's because he sucks.

18. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Carrieri's last 2 seasons in MLS:
    GP GS MIN G A PTS SHT SOG FC FS OFF CK C E
    55 45 4288 14 13 41 108 50 55 73 53 7 10 0

Not to mention a call up to a Nats team camp. Obviously not Taylor Twellman numbers, but not bad for a MLS forward. Are you saying that the Rapids (an their comletely inept offense) wouldn't be better with Carrieri at 55K this season than without him?

19. vflkirwan

vflkirwan Member

Mar 28, 2000
    North Jersey
    Club:
    New Jersey
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ammann, Ammann
    Ammann, Ammann
    Born is the King of East Rutherford

-----------

Mike Ammann
    He's the Best,
    He will play with a broken chest
    Knick Knack Patty Wagon
    Give a Dog a Bone
    Chicago...************ OFF HOME!

20. Revolt

Revolt Member+

Jun 16, 1999
    Davis, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Frankly, I'm kinda pissed at my wife about that very thing.

21. Eastern Bear

Eastern Bear Member+

Feb 27, 1999
    Great Falls, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Guys, don't feel sorry for Mike Ammann. He's pulling in well over 200K/yr selling storage products for Hitachi. Yeah, his elbows are messed up, but he got the opportunnity to play a sport we all love for a pretty long time. Everybody that meets him, loves the guy. Frankly, I'm a bit jealous ;-)

22. Sundevil9

Sundevil9 Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Reston, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Don't you remember the flurry of expletives that Ammann would unleash (very Earl Weaver like) after any time he'd give up a goal or would need to make a save? They're some of my favorite moments......but they might not fly in SLC.

23. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Real Madrid, DC United, anywhere Pulisic plays
    Aug 3, 2000
    Proxima Centauri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I dunno, Mark Hacking might like them.

24. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, I believe that I'm saying that.

And Carrieri's mediocre numbers against A-League competition this season are backing me up.