Official 2010 AFC Champions League Thread [R]

Discussion in 'Japanese Club Football' started by zappin, Dec 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zappin

zappin Member

Jul 4, 2008
    Liverpool, UK
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    The draw will be made tomorrow at the AFC HQ in Kuala Lumpur so I figure it's about time to start this thread, ;)

So far, Kashima Antlers, Kawasaki Frontale and Gamba Osaka are in the draw and a place will be reserved for the Emperor's Cup winner. That place will be filled by one of the following: Vegalta Sendai, Nagoya Grampus, FC Gifu, Albirex Niigata, Shimizu S-Pulse or Sanfrecce Hiroshima (if Antlers, Frontale or Gamba win the cup, as all three are still in at the Quarter Final stage).

Potential opponents at the group stage are (number of past Champions League appearances since 2002 in brackets):

China
    Beijing Guoan (2)
    Changchun Yatai (1)
    Henan Construction (0)
    Shandong Luneng (3)

South Korea
    Jeonbuk Hyundai Motors (3)
    Suwon Samsung Bluewings (2)
    Seongnam Ilhwa Chunma (3)
    Pohang Steelers (2)

Australia/Indonesia/Playoff
    Melbourne Victory (1)
    Adelaide United (2)
    Persipura Jayapura (0)
    Playoff winner (N/A)

Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing Gamba drawn with one of the Aussie sides this year. We have history with both of them from 2008 and it'd be interesting to see if we could keep up our 100% record against teams from down under, :cool:

2. goru_no_ura

goru_no_ura Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Miyako of Zipang
    Club:
    Sanfrecce Hiroshima FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Re: 2010 AFC Champions League Thread [R]

Since it would be hard to see FC Gifu win the Emperor's Cup, I hope the fourth team will be Vegalta; or Sanfrecce after Frontale wins the cup (but Mori doesn't play the final).

3. zappin

zappin Member

Jul 4, 2008
    Liverpool, UK
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan

Naturally, with my team still in the mix, I'd like to see Sanfrecce celebrating ACL qualification come January 1st. But if Gamba don't go on to win the cup then I'd like to see S-Pulse make it.

4. Bass0r

Bass0r Member

Jan 18, 2009
    Tokyo/N. Velidhoo
    Club:
    Urawa RD
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia

Based on current form of both teams, Adelaide would be pushovers. Melbourne may be a tougher, but I can't see them winning the games.

But why would you want that? Wouldn't you want the easiest group, to make sure you can quickly get to the business of the tournament proper?

I'd love to see Sanfrecce in the Champions League (and likely, considering I'd expect Kashima to get the double, this year). Shimizu would be another one that would be interesting to see.
    If Nagoya made it, it would just feel like Take 2 of 2009, so even though I like Nagoya (Pixy, Alex, and obviously Kennedy), I don't want the tournament getting stale.

5. zappin

zappin Member

Jul 4, 2008
    Liverpool, UK
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan

I don't think there are any easy groups any more. I'd rather be drawn with sides that we have faced before and therefore know what to expect than be drawn with an unknown opponent. Gamba learned the hard way not to underestimate any opponent in 2008 when they could only just scrape a draw against Chonburi, ;)

Here is the draw for the Japanese sides:

Group E
    Seongnam Ilhwa Chunma (KOR)
    Melbourne Victory (AUS)
    Beijing Guoan (CHN)
    Kawasaki Frontale

Group F
    Kashima Antlers
    Jeonbuk Hyundai Motors (KOR)
    Persipura Jayapura (IDN)
    Changchun Yatai (CHN)

Group G
    Henan Construction (CHN)
    Gamba Osaka
    Suwon Samsung Bluewings (KOR)
    Playoff Winner

Group H
    Adelaide United (AUS)
    Shandong Luneng (CHN)
    Emperor's Cup Winner
    Pohang Steelers (KOR)

I'm hoping that Da Nang can make it through the playoffs to set up a rematch of the 15-0 from 2006, :D

6. goru_no_ura

goru_no_ura Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Miyako of Zipang
    Club:
    Sanfrecce Hiroshima FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan

Gamba Osaka - Suwon Bluewings the best match...?

7. shuvy87

shuvy87 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2003
    USA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan

Guys, who do you want see take the 4th spot? I want to see Sendai, Hiroshima, or Shimizu.

8. scotch17

scotch17 Member

Jun 15, 2008
    Entebbe
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan

I was going to say Sanfrecce... but with Kashiwagi leaving, how competitive would they be? It's an Australia group so it'll be one of the harder ones.

9. zappin

zappin Member

Jul 4, 2008
    Liverpool, UK
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan

Albirex have fallen out of the race and with Antlers and Frontale both going out of the cup too it is not looking good for Sanfrecce; their hopes now rest on Gamba's shoulders.

I'm still gunning for Sanfrecce or S-Pulse though, but if Vegalta beat Gamba in the semi final then I may just get behind them to go all the way! :eek:

10. Bass0r

Bass0r Member

Jan 18, 2009
    Tokyo/N. Velidhoo
    Club:
    Urawa RD
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia

I was also thinking Sanfrecce, Sendai, or Shimizu. Mostly for my own enjoyment, and the traveling faithful of Adelaide.

Hope that's sarcasm... Australian teams aren't that hard. Central Coast 0-5 Kawasaki's a good example. Another good example is the fact that Adelaide have had their biggest form slump ever, and are bottom of the ladder for the first time in their history. The majority of fans are expecting to finish the Champions League with zero points.

Of course, Adelaide will have different players by then, so there's no guarantee they'll be as bad.

EDIT: Adelaide just jumped off the bottom of the table with a win, so I formally withdraw my statement and I'm sure some people will be regaining their hopes of a successful Champions League campaign. Look out, cup winner/Sanfrecce!

11. scotch17

scotch17 Member

Jun 15, 2008
    Entebbe
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan

There 4 entrants from Korea, China, and Japan... so every group has a club from each of these countries.

Then there are 2 from Australia and 2 also-rans, the kind Kashima run scores up on 15-0 or whatever it was.

By default, the 2 groups with A-League clubs are tougher. And they're certainly no worse than CSL sides.

12. RickChelsea

RickChelsea Member

Sep 28, 2008
    sidknee
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Mozambique

A-League sides in the past have looked pathetically out of their depth when facing Japanese and Korean opposition bar a few exeptions

But Melbourne will send out the best team ever from Australia to the champions league, unlike previous seasons where A-League clubs lose a lot of their best players from title winning campaigns because of the ACL being a year after the title is won in the A-League, Melbourne have only lost Danny Allsopp and in return have signed more versatile players and changed formation that have made them a much better team than last season. This season they and my Sydney FC are far and away the best teams in the competition and Melbourne will surely put up a good challenge in the ACL

Melbourne would certainly not outplay Kawasaki at their own game, Kawasaki are too classy for that, but Melbourne will not roll over like previous Aussie sides that have been somewhat embarrassing.

As for Adelaide, they signed some Argentinean playmaker for the ACL who has a good CV but they've had a terrible season so far and i doubt they will do any good

But Melbourne have a great chance IMO, the attacking 3/4 of Thompson and Hernandez plus any out of Ward/Kruse/Angulo/Dugandzic are extremely hard players to contain especially on the counterattack. Celeski, Sukha and to a lesser extent, Broxham are very mobile and technically efficient holding midfielders as well. Central defence is their weakness, Muscat is an ageing moronic thug and Vargas hasn't been the same player since the grand final last season

I don't like Melbourne, i despise them but as an aussie i think this is the A-Leagues best chance so far of winning the competition. Adelaide did very well but they had a lot of luck.

13. SamuraiBlue2002

SamuraiBlue2002 Member+

Dec 20, 2008
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
  14. shuvy87

shuvy87 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2003
    USA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan

Honestly I don't want to see Nagoya again.

15. scotch17

scotch17 Member

Jun 15, 2008
    Entebbe
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan

Me neither, but IF they do sign Tulio and Mu... those are some big upgrades.

I also think Ono would be good for an ACL club if he's returning to JLeague. His injuries mean you can't rely on him as a regular starter, but he could be very influential deputizing in a campaign with added fixtures.

16. m_darmanto

m_darmanto Member

Dec 8, 2009
    Jakarta, Indonesia
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Indonesia

Good luck for Kashima when they're visiting Persipura :D

As an Indonesian and not a Kashima fan, of course I'll support Persipura. But I'm not sure where they going to play their home ACL matches. I guess the stadium at Jayapura not qualified for an international match. Maybe they will play at Solo or Jakarta.

17. AmericanKaka

AmericanKaka Member+

Dec 30, 2006

So, who is surprised a Korean team finished with 8 men at the Club World Cup, and was lucky to have that many left?

Yeah, that's what I thought.

I thought Urawa's CWC performance was as about as embarrassing and negative as we will ever see from a Japanese team. It just goes to show that the Koreans can dig much, much lower. Which when you think of AFC officiating, is a monumental advantage that they have over Japanese teams in all AFC competitions, but out on the world stage not so much.

18. scotch17

scotch17 Member

Jun 15, 2008
    Entebbe
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan

[insert obligatory comment about 2002 here]
    Italians and Spanish will whine about getting dropped to cheating Koreans. And Koreans will whine about how they got farther than Japan in World Cup so far.

19. Bass0r

Bass0r Member

Jan 18, 2009
    Tokyo/N. Velidhoo
    Club:
    Urawa RD
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia

You should've seen last year's Pohang Steelers vs Adelaide United game in match 1 of the 2008 Champions League group stage.

Made me wonder if the Steeler's defensive coach was actually Bruce Lee.

20. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 3, 2001
    Jakarta

You don't think Mandala Stadium will actually be ready by the time the ACL starts, do you? Even if it is, it's not that much better than the one in Wamena, and that one was already rejected by the AFC.

Gelora Bung Karno is probably too spendy and will result in small crowds. I wouldn't be surprised to see them stay in Makassar.

21. m_darmanto

m_darmanto Member

Dec 8, 2009
    Jakarta, Indonesia
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Indonesia

Yes, I guess. Maybe Jakabaring in Palembang also included on their list.

22. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 3, 2001
    Jakarta

I doubt that. Sriwijaya will be in the ACL or AFC Cup regardless of what happens in the playoffs, so they'll need their stadium twice a week.

Maybe Medan, but the simplest solution (other than playing in Jayapura) is Makassar.

23. m_darmanto

m_darmanto Member

Dec 8, 2009
    Jakarta, Indonesia
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Indonesia

Yup, you're right and Makassar is the nearest decent stadium from Jayapura.

24. zappin

zappin Member

Jul 4, 2008
    Liverpool, UK
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan

I only realised today that Gamba and Kashima will not begin the season with the Super Cup but instead with the opening ACL matches three or four days earlier.

Kashima got the lucky draw as they are at home in the first round but Gamba will be returning from Korea after facing Suwon. I just hope that Gamba get to play on the Tuesday so they can have the extra day to prepare.

25. shuvy87

shuvy87 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2003
    USA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan