Official London 2K12 Thread -- U20/U23 [R]

Discussion in 'Korea' started by GuruSky, Nov 30, 2009.

1. GuruSky

GuruSky Member

Jan 7, 2004
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Discuss the London generation in their build up to the Olympics in 2010.

Here's the squad for the friendly match against Japan in Changwon on the 19th.

GK: Kim Seung-Kyu (Ulsan), Lee Bum-Young (Busan), Kim Da-Sol (Pohang)

DF: Jang Seok-Won, Lee Jong-Chan (Dan-guk Univ.), Kim Young-Kwon (FC Tokyo), Hong Jung-Ho (Jeju Utd)), Lim Jong-Eun (Ulsan), Yoon Seok-Young (Jeonnam), Jung Dong-Ho (Yokohama Marinos), Oh Jae-Seok (Suwon)

MF: Kim Min-Woo (Yonsei Univ.) Koo Ja-Cheol (Jeju Utd), Choi Sung-Keun (Korea Univ.), Moon Ki-Han (FC Seoul), Ki Sung-Yong (Celtic), Cho Young-Cheol (Niigata), Hong Cheol (Seongnam), Cho Ji-Hoon (Yonsei Univ.)

FW: Seo Jung-Jin (Jeonbuk), Kim Byung-Oh (Sungkyunkwan Univ.), Kim Dong-Hee (Yonsei Univ.), Lee Seung-Ryul (FC Seoul), Kim Dong-Sub (Tokushima), Park Hee-Sung (Korea Univ.), Kim Bo-Kyung (Hong-ik Univ.)

-------------------------

____________________ Lee Seung-Ryul
    __ Kim Bo-Kyung ________________________ Kim Min-Woo
    ___________ Moon Ki-Han _________ Ki Sung-Yong
    _____________________ Koo Ja-Cheol
    Yoon Seok-Young ______________________ Oh Jae-Seok
    ___________ Kim Young-Kwon ____ Hong Jung-Ho
    ____________________ Kim Seung-Kyu

--------------------------

Some of the issues I'd like to raise:

- UEFA is trying to push FIFA and IOC to lower the age limit to 21, which would force Ganzi Hong to scratch the current program and start a completely new one.

- Assuming the three over-age players rule is still intact, is it worth exercising that option? If so, who should Ganzi Hong take to London? What positions is this team weak/strong at?

- Ki Sung-Yong & Nam Tae-Hee. Is it really necessary to integrate players who already have what it takes to perform for the senior side into this program? Especially in Ki Sung-Yong's case, it's highly likely that he'll be heavily involved in our senior set-up with the WC and AC coming up in the next two years. Does Ganzi Hong really need two players who are already established, at the expense of sacrificing inexperienced players?

- I'm under the impression that Kim Seung-Kyu, the goalie who was absolutely superb at the U20 WC, has what it takes to play for the senior side once Lee Woon-Jae is gone. Should he leave Ulsan this winter and find a club where he'll get more match experience?

- Does anyone from Cho Dong-Hyeon's U18 squad deserve a look? What about the U-17 team that finished last 8 in Nigeria last month?

2. Randomized

Randomized Member

Feb 18, 2005
    Nice summary and some good questions. From Cho Dong-Hyun's squad, I wouldn't be surprised if Kim Won-Sik makes it through; his quality and physicality is undeniable and is the defense-to-midfield linchpin and can score goals as well.

I'm thinking (hoping) that Ki Sung-Yong's inclusion on the squad against Japan is mainly for him to keep fit during the interim between now and his departure for Celtic but I suppose his future status with this squad remains to be seen. As for Nam Tae-Hee, there are some big question marks surrounding his contribution. He's only still 18 but is already turning quite a few heads, domestically and internationally. His long-term foot injury suggests that caution should be exerted before throwing him into the Ligue 1 fray and his habituation may be effectively stultified if he consistently gets called up for Olympic duty. The question, then, is whether or not his potential and abilities warrant the risk. What is the cost-benefit here? Personally, I feel there is finally enough evidence to suggest that he could make a direct transition to the senior team given a good uninterrupted season or two and has the potential to do something big; the same may apply to a lesser degree for Kim Won-Sik, who has not seen as much limelight as Nam Tae-Hee for the reasons that he is younger (and not a professional contracted player yet) and he's a defender/midfielder. Especially since these guys are young, I would refrain from pockmarking their early experiences and continuing development with serious injuries and/or fatigue from international duty. Just my five cents on that.

There is some potential in this squad and it wouldn't surprise me to see a few of them make the transition to the senior team. Koo Ja-Chul has the potential to be much better than Cho Won-Hee in the same or similar position imo, but he needs to move from Jeju pronto. Kim Seung-Kyu, as you mentioned, made some terrific saves and one of the saves of the tournament in the U-20 World Cup and has been consistently good since his U-17 days. He looks like he could finally be an uncontested replacement for LWJ but may find some competition (eventually) from Kim Jin-Yong, who I thought was equally committed in Nigeria. The latter has the advantage of a massive frame and good shot-stopping abilities while the former is probably more tactically astute and slightly quicker.

None of the forwards have really impressed me -- Cho Young-Chul and Kim Dong-Sub, arguably the two forwards that were anticipated to shine in Egypt (perhaps more owed to their experience than anything else), didn't really do so but I'll reserve my judgment on our attacking situation for now. Korea does pick up the odd diamond in the rough from its Olympic teams so it wouldn't surprise me in the least if some more favoured players fade and some unknown ones come through.

3. GuruSky

GuruSky Member

Jan 7, 2004
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    I agree with you on pretty much everything. Nam Tae-Hee isn't far away from developing the tools to make a direct transition to our senior side and if that's the case, there's no reason for him to play in the Olympics and neither does Ki Sung-Yong for the same reason. The problem, however, is that Ki Sung-Yong himself has been saying that he wants to be a part of this team. I'm sure Nam Tae-hee will take the chance with open arms as well, so Ganzi Hong has a decision to make here. There's no doubt that this team would improve immediately with these two guys as they're streets ahead of anyone else on this team in just about every faucet of the game, but at this age group, it's not just about fielding the best possible line-up.

In addition, I put Lee Seung-Ryul at CF because like you said, none of the strikers on this team have really impressed me. Park Hee-Sung is a good athlete with a decent complimentary game (e.g. his crosses), but he's not a pure central forward. I like Cho Young-Cheol's ability to dribble past defenders, but he's more of a winger who lacks consistency. As for Kim Dong-Sub, I still don't understand what exactly his strengths are. Lee Seung-Ryul, at the very least, has the understanding of running link-up plays and his touches inside the box could be lethal.

Although the most talented player on this team outside of Ki Sung-Yong is hands down Koo Ja-Cheol, one player who I'll be keeping tabs on is Moon Ki-Han. He's still got a lot of work to do, but I see some serious potential in him.

4. GoYoungrokba

GoYoungrokba Member+

May 21, 2009
    Club:
    Suwon Bluewings
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    I just hope FIFA keeps the Olympic football as the U23 World Cup.

5. GuruSky

GuruSky Member

Jan 7, 2004
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    UPDATES:

- FIFA and IOC decided that they'll keep the age limit at 23.

- The squad announced last week will start training this Monday at Namhae. Ki Sung-Yong is expected to report.

- Japan is playing in the East Asian Games - the same tourney where we got manhandled by Hong Kong with our National League players - with their U-20 squad and beat North Korea 1-0 in their opener. Is this the same squad that'll play us on the 19th? Can anyone confirm?

- Starting CB Hong Jung-Ho dropped from the squad. He's undergoing a wrist surgery on the 7th.

http://news.naver.com/sports/index....&mod=read&office_id=001&article_id=0003010588

6. GoYoungrokba

GoYoungrokba Member+

May 21, 2009
    Club:
    Suwon Bluewings
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    That's good. Ki Sung-yong is eligible to play.

7. fragments

fragments New Member

Jun 21, 2008
    NV
    Is Ganzi Hong confident enough with the pool of talent at his disposal to not use those players? It's always great uncovering a hidden gem but sometimes the quickest way to the gold is the straight and narrow. Three years may mean a lot, but the recent U-20 squad didn't do quite well enough in Egypt to take a chance in not using at least one of the two proven players.

8. GuruSky

GuruSky Member

Jan 7, 2004
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    What didn't they do to force players who are already playing beyond this level to replace them?

9. hihi

hihi Red Card

Mar 17, 2006
    Internet
    Club:
    Ulsan Horang I
    Nat'l Team:
    Paraguay
    I dearly hope that neither of Ki Sungyong nor Nam Tahee are picked for 2012. I really want Koo Jachul to be integrated into the attacking midfielder position. So much potential lies in that role for him.

Koo Jachul > Ki Sungyong.

10. GuruSky

GuruSky Member

Jan 7, 2004
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Not even close...

Ki Sung-Yong >>>>>>>> 넘사벽 >> Koo Ja-Cheol

11. hihi

hihi Red Card

Mar 17, 2006
    Internet
    Club:
    Ulsan Horang I
    Nat'l Team:
    Paraguay
    The past two seasons, Ku Jachul owned Ki Sungyong each time they have faced one another.

12. GuruSky

GuruSky Member

Jan 7, 2004
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Way to use a misleading evidence... Ki Sung-Yong's performances over the past two seasons have been superior and his game is far more consolidated in every aspect. Don't worry, man. It's pretty late here right now, so I'll break it down for you tomorrow morning and everything will be back to normal.

13. GuruSky

GuruSky Member

Jan 7, 2004
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    OK. So let's break this down, 히히.

Passing. Both of them can play some superb passes, but Ki Sung-Yong's passing range can't be matched by anyone in Korea right now. He's capable of hitting any spot on the field with his passes. Also, Koo Ja-Cheol has a great vision in his own right, but his passing lacks velocity and travels at a much slower pace, whereas Ki Sung-Yong plays passes that are nearly PERFECT in velocity, height, timing and accuracy.

Defense. Both are poor defenders, but Koo Ja-Cheol has superior work ethic. I'll give you that.

Scoring. Not even close. Hands down, bar none, Ki Sung-Yong has a better shot, shoots better with both feet and he also knows how to make those runs into the box from midfield.

Dribbling and ball control. Again, not even a contest. Both of them seem to be pretty comfortable in possession, but as we all saw during the U-20 WC, Koo Ja-Cheol gives up the ball quite often when he's under pressure. Timing of his passes is also suspect.

14. olijolly

olijolly Member+

Aug 30, 2009
    Club:
    Suwon Bluewings
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    hmm haven't really noticed that Gu Ja Cheol's ball velocity is slow because his long passes are pretty damn good as well. Maybe its because I haven't seen enough of him..... But definitely Ki Sung Yong seems much more confident under pressure in terms of dribbling and passing. He also seems more eager to make these long passes as well.... But I mean its kinda weird to say Gu is better than Ki, seeing as how Ki is the most highly rated youth Korean player right now.

15. Koreano

Koreano Member

Jul 5, 2005
    Club:
    Seongnam Ilhwa
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    I don't understand, Ki Sung-yong is a more complete mid fielder than Ku Ja-cheol, there's no contest between them. Ki Sung-yong's class is totally different to Ku Ja-cheol's. Sex dragon's strength and stature in the middle of the park cannot even come close to Ku Ja-cheol's presence. He's got better finishing, is not pressured under tight circumstances and I'm sure many coaches if they had to pick only one, they would pick Ki Sung-yong 9 times out of 10.

16. GoYoungrokba

GoYoungrokba Member+

May 21, 2009
    Club:
    Suwon Bluewings
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    The difference between Ki and Ku is Ki is already a significant contributor for KNT meanwhile Ku doesn't even get called up for the duty very often.

17. GuruSky

GuruSky Member

Jan 7, 2004
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Actually, the biggest difference between the two is that Ki Sung-Yong is streets ahead of Koo Ja-Cheol in terms of talent.

18. Deleted Users

Deleted Users Member+

Nov 25, 2001
    아휴 형님 너무 좋아하신당~ㅋㅋㅋ

19. GuruSky

GuruSky Member

Jan 7, 2004
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Lololololololololololol

20. GuruSky

GuruSky Member

Jan 7, 2004
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
  21. hihi

hihi Red Card

Mar 17, 2006
    Internet
    Club:
    Ulsan Horang I
    Nat'l Team:
    Paraguay
    Cho Donghyun was getting considered by FC Seoul. Only had he been fired few days earlier..