How Soccer Explains The World

Discussion in 'Books' started by Real Ray, Jul 1, 2004.

1. Uppa 90

Uppa 90 Member

Jan 16, 2004
    K.C. MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just finished "How Soccer Explains..." and read it rather quickly. Of course, I surprise myself sometimes when someone takes away my FIFA gamecube games...

While I am unfamiliar with Kuper's book, I highly recommend anyone with a slight interest in world politics and soccer take a glance at this book. It feels mildly basic at times, but i still think there are many good things to glean from it's research. What an interesting line of travel Foer has had in the composing of this book, and the chapter about FC Barcelona should make everyone want to go to Europe and see the beautiful game...

2. mnthunder

mnthunder Member

Jun 6, 2002
    Guatemala
    I liked this book, and read it fast. But it should have been called "Soccer Stories for Americans". Most of the chapters were great reads but I don't know why a subject like the "Sentimental Hooligan" should be involved in a discussion about globalization.

The Barca and Celtic/Rangers stuff was excellent. The book also gave some good insight on soccer and corruption.

To me though it didn't really deal with globalization.

3. Dyvel

Dyvel Member+

Jul 24, 1999
    The dog end of a day gone by
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    I enjoyed the book but I wish it had been more indepth.

4. CG

CG Member

Jul 25, 2001
    pretty much my thoughts in a nutshell.

5. elainemichelle

elainemichelle New Member

Jul 20, 2002
    I figured out that it's a good way to introduce soccer to my friends, especially the ones that have obsessions with politics (Brazil was a big hit). It helps boil things down to basic levels and the stuff on hooliganism helps, too.

6. Sapphire

Sapphire Moderator

Jun 29, 2003
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm a little late to the thread and a slightly off-topic as well, so double apologies.

However, this thread made me think of a fantastic book I recently read about cricket in the colonial Trinidad. (I'm sure some of the literary minds on the boards will already be aware of it!). It's called Beyond a Bondary, by C.L.R. James, first published in 1963. If I had to reduce it to one grossly over-simplificating sentence, I'd say that it's about the ways in which the institutionalized sport of cricket reflect(s)/(ed) colonial structures in the West Indies and in England. (maybe?) Anyway, it might be of interest to those thinking about sports more generally, and not only soccer, as institutions with real political significance and influence.

7. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    That's an accurate reading. I would only add that James talks about how the colonized, rather than passively absorb those colonial structures, use sport to resist and (maybe) even to transcend them. The sport was still Cricket when the West Indians got into it, but the West Indian identity expressed itself in the sport in ways the colonizers could neither predict nor control. Great book for the inquiring sports fan, even if he or she doesn't know a thing about cricket.